PB & J Sundae

It almost seemed like summer today.  Looking out the window revealed a big, bright, blue, sun-shining sky...until I ventured outside.  It was freezing.  Well, not FREEZING, but about 35-40 degrees with a breeze, so it felt much colder.  Things in the shade were still frozen from the night before, making it quite wintery when not in the sun's direct light.

On the flip-side, sunny-cold weather conditions make it the perfect day to photograph ice cream!  Beautiful light and cold temps give you extra time to capture the "ice cream goodness" before it turns to mush...especially when you are pouring a warm sauce over it.  When taking pictures of ice cream you can't get distracted (easier said than done) or it's all over.

I saw Sunny Anderson make this dessert on TV the other day and its been all I could think about for the past 120 hours.  I couldn't think of a better day to celebrate with a sundae, than Sunday, so here it is, THE BEST SUNDAE EVER.  We absolutely loved it and it tasted authentically like a PB & J sandwich, only better.  Much better.

I must warn you, the peanut butter sauce is over-the-top delicious, addictive and lick-your-spoon-clean-yummy.  Not only will your family love this but company would enjoy this too.

Don't pass this up, it's a must try.

Transfer ice cream to a mixing bowl and add jelly.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the jelly so it is streaky and not uniformly mixed.  Return the ice cream and jelly mixture to the pint container and freeze until set, about 2 -3 hours.

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat.  Add bread cubes and stir to coat bread on all sides (I used my fingers to flip the cubes around, making sure they all soaked up some of the butter).  Continue stirring, until bread is golden brown on all sides.  Remove from heat.  Sprinkle with granulated sugar, stirring well to make sugar gets on all sides of the bread and set aside.

Combine heavy cream and brown sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, add peanut butter and stir until combined and melted.

To serve, scoop ice cream into serving bowls, drizzle with peanut butter sauce and top with croûtons.

The ultimate comfort food.

PB and J Sundae
Adapted from Sunny Anderson, TV Food Network

1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1/4 cup strawberry or grape jam
(make sure to use jam as it's less stiff than jelly, making it easier to combine)
1/4 cup butter
2 slices white bread, crusts removed, sliced into 1/2" cubes
(I used Texas toast, makes bigger cubes)
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
(my favorite is Skippy's Extra Crunchy)

One Year Ago:  Corn ans Salsa Tortilla Soup

Ok, I admit, when I read the title I wasn’t so sure….but man, after seeing this and how its made….I would be nuts to not try it! I love how the bread is fried and the recipe for the peanut butter sauce sounds amazing!

2. Janine 2

Yum!! This looks fabulous. PB & J how can you go wrong!!

3. I’m not an ice cream fan, but I bet I could make myself sick on that sauce-yum!

4. deeba 4

Never seen anything like this before … just took my breath away!

5. That would make me sooooo happy.

6. Oh, man, what a great idea! Totally evil! This looks just fantastic. Going on my list.

7. Tammy 7

Wow, that looks so good! My mouth is watering.

8. Lordy lordy that looks tasty!

how do you stay so thin woman? all the running around in the grapes fields right?

Sounds delicious. Now I must leave. No, I am leaving your site and NOT writing this recipe down…too late…

11. PB & J is always a winner. Add ice cream and you’ve got the perfect combination. This looks scrumptious.

Awesome. Just awesome.

13. I love a good peanut butter sauce. I will have to try this one. I am thinking I could make this with some leftover pound cake I have in the freezer!

14. Julie 14

Yum…I think I’d like to have that sauce smeared on everything I eat!

Died and gone to heaven, they better serve this there.

16. Misty 16

That sounds wonderful. But I keep looking at the peanut butter sauce and seeing baked beans! :)

17. Barbara 17

I hesitated a bit at the title, but when I saw the photo I was definitely ingrigued. And then when I read the recipe I was sold. And I know when you say not to pass something up it must be fabulous! Can’t wait to try it!

18. Dear Cathy,
    This does look really good, and I’m working up to trying peanut butter again this year, which I do once a year just to see if I have changed my mind about it. It is on my list of two things I REALLY dislike (peanut butter and pickled herring). Yes, I know, it’s a little weird and I have been called everything from a communist, to un-American, even an alien and I’m talking about the outer-space kind. I just can’t understand why anyone would want to squish up a perfectly good peanut. But that all said, I sincerely do make myself try it at least once a year and I guess now is as good a time as any. :) ~LeslieMichele

it’s peanut butter-jelly time! excellent and decadent twist on the good ol’ pb&j, cathy! you’re not kidding about that peanut butter sauce either–it sounds like something i’d lick off the floor!

20. Biz 20

I’ll have to check this out at home – I am on my lunch break and for some reason I can never see your pictures :(

Happy Monday Cathy!

21. I hate peanut butter but this sounds SOOOOO good and I know Meg will love it, so I plan on making it when she’s home between tech school and leaving for deployment.

I was wondering though, do you think you could use pound cake instead of regular bread? I have a lot of homemade pound cake in the freezer that I need to do something with and was wondering if this might be the thing?

22. Oh. My. God.

Oh Great! Now I have visions of buying the industrial size peanut butter from Sam’s Club, LOL! Thanks for that. Oh & the fact that it’s so dang simple to make…

24. amazing who would have thunk it?

25. Noble Pig 25

Pound cake might be okay however the texture is supposed to resemble a PB & J sandwich with a bready taste. You would lose that with the  heavy pound cake.  I don’t think it would be bad, just not the same.

26. You had me at the heavy cream and brown sugar…..darling – looking fantastic – as always! Hoping life is treating you as sweet as this lovely decadent quick to make dessert Cathy! warm regards, Leah aka Chef Maven

27. This is awesome! What a delicious and creative twist on pb & j!

28. The lovely sunshine can be deceptive for sure. This looks amazing! My kids would gobble this up! It sounds so simple but it’s so pretty it could be served to company. Very nice!

29. Lisa 29

These are really fun! My family has never been big PB&J fans (weird, I know) but the bread and Peanut Butter Sauce look so terrific I think I’ll try it anyway, without the jelly and maybe with chocolate ice cream.

30. Melynda 30

OMG! I love PB&J. This would be the best dinner, why wait for dessert?

31. Perhaps you don’t know this yet, but I have a genetic predisposition to consume massive amounts of peanut butter, no what the recipe. So I may just hold you responsible for the price of my new belt, as the old one is getting tighter just reading this. 😉

32. That is an interesting twist to PB&J.
    Looks delicious!

33. That PB sauce looks heavenly. I could imagine several things I could pour that over.

That’s a wonderful idea! I bet the Hooligans’ friends are envious of their mama’s great treats!

35. LilSis 35

I’m a huge PB fan and even though I don’t indulge much in ice cream, I’m going to have to make these. Maybe this should be lunch since it resembles the classic PB & J sandwich.

36. cathy, omg … you made my pb&j sundae look so amazing! i don’t think i could’ve taken better photos! glad you like the recipe. since meeting my guy, i’ve increased my peanut butter recipes because it’s his fave. he loves this sundae second to my peanut butter frosting and the pb&j pancakes. funny thing is as i pack for a trip tonight, he powered through 2 pb&j sandwiches. crazy. thanks so much for watching, i can’t do it without foodies like you. even better you are a blogger, so you get why i like to share because you share as well. thanks again and i hope you like the new shows on the way!!

37. That does look interesting…pb sauce, yum! But as I gaze out the window, at the snow coming down and currently measuring about 10 inches, I am not thinking ice cream…or maybe I should be?!

38. KAYOLA 38

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! How do you stay so dang cute with ALL of this good food?

39. OK, usually peanut butter and jelly can be funky in unusual circumstances. This would definitely be unusual. But you (and Sunny) rarely go wrong, so it’s to be trusted.

40. jane 40