Egg Foo Yong

I do love egg foo yong, otherwise known as…egg foo young or egg fooyung or egg fu yung or egg furong.  I have absolutely no idea which is correct, I just know I love it.

I’m not sure what variation, if any, they serve in China. Egg foo yong might very well be just a part of American Chinese cuisine, one we’ve tweaked to our taste buds here in the states.

If you’ve never had it, it’s basically a Chinese-style omelet and it’s so easy to make.  It’s a wonderful dinner item.  Serve with some fried rice on the side or sautéed bok choy.

This will easily fit into your dinner rotation and will be requested again and again, I promise!

Heat 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat.  Add the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon sugar and sauté until golden, 3 minutes.  Add the broth and 2 teaspoons soy sauce.  Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; stir (a few drops at a time while stirring quickly to prevent clumping) into the skillet and boil until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.

Heat 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil in another skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and cook until tender, 4 minutes.  Add the bacon and cook 2 minutes.  Add the peas, half of the scallions and the remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce; cook one more minute.  Let cool a few minutes and transfer to bowl to combine with beaten eggs.

Egg Foo Yong
Adapted from Food Network

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
6 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3-1/2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
6 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
6 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, optional

Wipe out the skillet.  Return to medium-high heat and add 1/4 inch of vegetable oil.  Add one-fourth of the egg mixture; spoon some of the hot oil on top and cook until puffy, 1-2 minutes.  Flip and cook 1 minute, then drain on paper towels.  Repeat to make 3 more omelets.  Add the sesame oil (if desired) to the mushroom gravy and pour over the omelets.  Garnish with the remaining scallions.

One Year Ago: Cherry-Pineapple Cinnamon Crunch Cake

1. I’ve never made Egg Fu Yung, nor ordered it. Why???? I have no idea. Looks delicious

2. Tammy 2

I could eat this everyday!!

3. Yum!! Looks delicious–my parents both loved egg foo yung but I never did when I was a kid. Not sure why not, because what could be bad about this??

Also, yay for a Weight Watcher-friendly recipe 😉 I’ve been quiet lately around here because I’m trying to lose weight, but this looks to be a definite fit with my goals. Thanks, Cathy!

you know my hubby always called it ‘egg foo yuck’. always hard to find a decent egg foo yong around here. so I make my own. and yours is just perfect.

5. Lisa Sipple 5

This is awesome, I’m making it for Chinese NEW YEAR, it’s settled!!

6. Sounds like a must try!

7. June 7

Looks delicious – I’ve never had it but that’s about to change.

8. I have never had that in my whole life Cathy! It looks amazing…

9. Yumu Yum Yum!

This is one of favorite take out dishes, I never thought of making it at home, how cool is that.

I’ve never had egg fu young before but after seeing this recipe, I want it!

By the way, you are welcome to come over for coffee and cookies anytime.

12. Debbi 12

How funny! I made this tonight and was just about to blog it! The recipes have some differences, I like the idea of adding frozen peas. Your pictures are SO much better than mine though. I’ll be posting my recipe next week probably.

13. Sook 13

Wow that is a beautiful dish! I’ve heard about Egg Foo Yong before but never tried it. Looks delicious.

That looks so good, especially with those mushrooms.

15. Donna 15

What a beautiful last photo.. I have never tried to make this. Yours looks better than any I have ever seen at a rrestaurant!!

I’ve never actually had that. I need to, clearly.

17. Mary 17

You’ve got me so spoiled that I don’t know what I’d do if you created a recipe or dish that was a dud. This looks fantastic. I hope those guys of yours make you Valentine’s Day special. Blessings…Mary

OMG! I absolutely adore Egg Foo Yong, but haven’t had it in forever since we seldom go out to eat when in town. I’m so excited to try this and it looks so mouthwatering that I need to go in search of snack now. Yum! You are so great for thinking of this just when I was beginning to get bored with all the old stand-bys…

19. deeba 19

You make everything ‘food’ look like an absolute work or art Cathy! This is just beautiful!

20. Barbara 20

I’ve only tried a very simple egg foo yung recipe at home- one given to me by a Chinese friend back in the Air Force days.
    And there is a restaurant in Ft.Lauderdale that makes a super one, with a lovely gravy.

But this one takes the prize, Cathy! Don’t you love it when you have most of the ingredients in your pantry ready to go? Such a lovely supper dish.

21. Debbie 21

This is one of my favorite Chinese dishes and I had never thought of making it myself! Thanks for the recipe!

22. Evelyn 22

Again, YUM! Your blog is the best thing out there!

23. This is so simple and sounds delish. It could be dinner tonight!

24. Trisha 24

This looks perfect for a snowy night! I think I will be trying this soon.

25. This is a dish that almost seems to be forgotten. I just love it, and remember it from childhood. I’m not chinese, but we used to the chinese restaurant all the time.

26. Lena in VT 26

We made this for lunch today and it was WONDERFUL. Vey tasty with the bacon and I loved the peas. It was beautiful too and the sauce perfect.

27. I love this dish and haven’t had it in ages. Tried it in a local restaurant and didn’t like it. I can’t wait to try your recipe. Oh man, I can almost taste it already.

28. Hi, I just discovered your blog. What beautiful pictures and interesting recipes! Just wanted to say hi. I just entered the blogging world myself but I am still a work in progress:)

29. Leslie 29

Would you by chance know how to make the thick greyish brown gravy that normally comes with this?

30. This is perfect for Chinese New Year tomorrow:D

well, i had no idea what was involved in making egg foo yong. in fact, the only time i’ve ever heard of it was in a crossword puzzle clue. looks like something i’d really enjoy–thanks for the education!

32. Mary 32

This looks terrific, Cathy. It’s my kind of meal. They do, by the way, serve omelets in China. I love the bacon you’ve added to your version. Happy VD! Blessings…Mary

33. Noble Pig 33

I have absolutely no idea but I’m sure there’s a recipe out there some where.

34. Oh, how wonderful! I’ve never had Egg Foo Yong before, but I must make this. If I use gluten-free soy sauce I’m good to go. Hubby will love the mushroom factor. :-)

Thanks, Cathy! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Shirley

35. Corine 35

Hi Cathy,

The egg foo yong u presented here does look very yummylicious!!! And I like them topped with mushroom. 😉

36. lo 36

Egg foo yung is always a favorite of ours when we do take-out — but it’s so much better when you make it at home! Great call topping everything off with the mushrooms. That’s my kinda foo-yung!

37. WOW… that is soo beautiful

38. Amanda 38

I made Thai Garlic Chicken for dinner tonight, I love Chinese food :) I’ve never actually had Egg Foo Yung, it looks great though.

Glad to see you are on twitter now. I’ve added you (I’m @amandascookin) and also became a fan on your facebook page. I’m going to add your site to my blog roll, it’ll be easier for me to keep up with your posts 😉

39. Mmmm…one of my favorites!

40. I laughed when I saw this. I was reading my Food Network mag the other day and saw a recipe for Egg Foo Young. I said the title and Dude was all “I haven’t had that probably since the service” so I folded the page over-he said, “No, easier to just go out for it”. Then I really looked at it and seen that it was like an omlette. I never knew……

41. I love egg foo yong too and so does my husband. The first time I tried it, I remember saying, “They know how to make an egg not taste like an egg.”

42. LilSis 42

I’ve never made Egg Foo Young before but it’s one of my mother in law’s favorites so I’m bookmarking this now in hopes to make it for her one day. Thanks!

You don’t know it, but you posted this for me.

44. I opine that to receive the loans from creditors you should have a good reason. Nevertheless, one time I’ve received a collateral loan, because I wanted to buy a building.

45. Larry Sarni 45

This is very different than the egg fu yung I had growing up. It was eggs and bean sprouts covered in a thick brown sauce. I’ve tried recreating it with out much success. the brown sauce maybe oyster sauce. this looks delicious

46. Ruth Miyagawa 46

Even better with bean sprouts and shrimp instead of Canadian bacon!