Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls

This was our breakfast Sunday morning. Aren’t they cute? They were very, very good. It’s the whole egg and the toast combo all together in one nice package.

These are so easy to make and wouldn’t they be splendid on a brunch buffet table? The best part, you can easily make two, ten, a hundred, whatever your needs are at the moment.

I think there are a lot of variations you could do nicely with this recipe, such as, swap out the Parmesan cheese with grated Gruyere or crumbled blue cheese to give a different taste. Use feta and substitute oregano for the other herbs for a Greek flavor.

I used sourdough but I think this would also be nice with onion or brioche rolls as long as they are sturdy.

Any way you put these together, they will be great.

Arrange rolls on a baking sheet. Reserve tops. Crack an egg into each roll.

Place tops on rolls and serve warm.

Eat with a knife and fork.

Print Recipe

Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls

Recipe from: All You | Serves: As many as you want to make

Ingredients

• Crusty dinner rolls, as many as you choose
  • Eggs, large, one for each roll
  • Mixed herbs, chopped, such as parsley, chives & tarragon, about 1 teaspoon for each roll
  • Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon for each roll
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parmesan cheese, grated, as much as you want to sprinkle on each roll

Directions

• Slice off top of each dinner roll and gently remove some bread until there is a hole large enough to accommodate an egg. Arrange rolls on a baking sheet. Reserve tops. Crack an egg into each roll. Top each egg with some herbs and a bit of cream. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake in a 350 degree oven until eggs are set and bread is toasted 20 to 25 minutes. After eggs have cooked for 20 minutes, place bread tops on baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes.
  • Place tops on rolls and serve warm.

278 Comments and 3 Replies

1. I’m not much of an egg person, but these look pretty good. Is it possible to scramble the eggs, and have it more like a casserole? I dislike unscrambled eggs. Just the whole texture thing. Otherwise it looks great! I might have to give it a try.

• Sandy 2

I tried that thinking would I would add ham, and cheese. The rolls absorb the egg. You can put the ham and cheese or whatever in the bottom of the bowl, then crack the whole egg on top of it. These are yummy and work great for brunches.

2. joana 3

it´s a amazing recipe!
    simple to prepare and tasty!
    i think i´m gona try it in the next sunday! =)

3. These are really cute and a perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday morning.

4. nina 5

Oh my gosh, this looks so good!!!

5. Great idea and so cute too!

6. I would like one of those puppies right now. Thank you.

7. those look great. makes me want to have a brunch party so I can serve these.

8. If I had a little bun in the house i would make this right now. I’m so hungry and this looks delicious!

9. WKF 10

Those aren’t cute! They are gorgeous!
    Looks like a potential new favorite breakfast

10. Barbara 11

What a super solution to guests in the house. Breakfast can be done practically without effort and you can be with your company!
    For brunches, too. Love this idea, Cathy!

11. I just got off work and I am starving-and I encounter this! It would be so much easier if I could just push a button and have it come through the screen to me!

12. very pretty photos… saving this recipe!

13. Pat 14

I tried these once a few months ago. I think the rolls I used were too crusty – once they were baked, it was really hard to cut them. So you might want to stick with a softer crust bit still firm bread. But yes, they were really good, just a little challenging to eat. You could also tuck a little ham under the egg if you were feeling extravagant.

14. These are beautiful!! Great idea, love the sourdough. -LeslieMichele

15. Lorna 16

Will the yolks be firm or runny? I like to dip my toast in the yolk. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes.

16. What a great way to serve breakfast or brunch to a group. Love this presentation.

17. June 18

Wowza – these look delectable. What a wonderful idea!

18. Tammy 19

These look great! I think I might make them at my next scrapbooking weekend retreat! Maybe add some bacon, or slice precooked sausage and place on the bottom before the egg goes in?! Oh yeah, these will be a hit!

19. Mom24 20

These look wonderful. Thanks.

Well! I would have eaten this up in a minute this morning, but I had already polished off the leftover pizza for my breakfast. That looks like a great way to serve a bunch. Like you said, as many as you want can be ready all at one time. Thanks for this recipe and I will remember to serve it whenever I have guests especially. It would be fun to experiment with different types of breads. There are endless posibilities.

21. Trisha 22

No this looks like a wonderful brunch idea! Yummy!

22. LilSis 23

I’m a huge breakfast eater. I think it’s my favorite meal of the day. I wish I had one of these right this second!

They look great! And, easy, too!

23. Criminey that looks good! I wish I had seen this recipe before this morning! It snowed last night so this would have been perfect this morning!

24. This gives me a perfect excuse to run to Panera and get some bread bowls! What a brilliant idea!

this is so clever, cathy! soup in a bread bowl is the cat’s meow in my opinion, so i have no doubt i’d be a huge fan of these! fun and tasty. :)

Why didn’t I think of this? Seriously! Awesome, I will be making those.

27. annbb 28

Those look absolutely delicious!

I grew up on “one-eyed Egyptians” (not a clue where that name came from and they’re called all kinds of other names), which was a thick slice of bread with a round hole cut out of the middle. You saute it with an egg dropped in the hole. It’s good too, but yours is much prettier – and I bet better!

28. Marilyn 29

Love the idea and will try it soon!!!!
    Is the yoke still going to have some fluid to it being baked that long?
    Cathy is there some why we can get these recipes to print without all the side borders? That would be wonderful!

ok you are a rock star! I MUST make these. Amazing!

30. Noble Pig 31

Yes, my yolks were still runny.  Of course every oven could yield a different result, but mine were runny.

31. Noble Pig 32

They were still runny but if your oven cooks hot, you might want to lessen the time.

32. Noble Pig 33

You could certainly try it.

33. Noble Pig 34

As far as printing….click on the title of the recipe and it will take you to a page where there is a printing icon right next to the title. Click on the icon and that takes you to a printer friendly page.  Do not try to print from your browser, that will likely lock up your computer.

34. Julie 35

Those really are too cute! Kinda like an egg in a hole, but fancier.

35. Angie 36

This is the cutest, tastiest, easiest things I’ve seen in a while, I love them!

36. Lisa Sipple 37

These are adorable, I’m going to make them for a baby shower brunch. Beautiful photography!

These look wonderful. I think a salty bread would be an excellent choice.

38. Those are adorable! It’s like breakfast cupcakes!

39. These look incredible – I have tried to bake eggs in the oven and it was a disaster, runny and undercooked. Obviously operator error.. hehe. These look too good for me to give up on eggs in the oven recipes! Will try again thanks for the inspiration!!

40. FriendlyMum 41

*Useful* comment.

I wonder if you could keep the crust softer by covering the baking sheet with foil for all but the last 5 minutes?

41. These are so cute! I’ve made a similar breakfast dish with tomatoes instead of bread, but I’d love to serve both together.

42. Mary 43

Cathy, this is a wonderful idea. They really look delicious.

43. Biz 44

I did a similar version, although I mixed the egg/cheese seasonings and then poured in my mini bread bowl – I like your idea better though!

44. april 45

These look delicious!! I’ve been trying to eat more weekend breakfasts at home but I get bored so these are definitely on the to-try list!

45. I can see I was sitting at the wrong breakfast table Sunday morning! Looks delicious.

46. These look great how handy too. Must give them a try next weekend.

47. What a great idea, they look yummy will try them next weekend.

48. Those are adorable and they look delicious!

49. Brilliant! I can’t wait to make these one morning soon.

50. Velva 51

Baked eggs are so delicious! Definitely one of my favorite foods and not just for breakfast.
    The eggs baked in the bread bowls is a perfect idea. Thanks for sharing.

51. Sook 52

What an interesting recipe! The baked eggs in bread bowls look fantabulous!!

52. Reply

Praise the Lord! These look awesome! I adore eggs. All eggs. Prepared any style. Eggs. Any day, any time. This, is like a ramped up egg-in-the-hole. Very, very well done! This would be great for a late night supper, too. YUM!

54. I love the idea of the baked eggs in the bread bowls, a perfect Sunday morning breakfast for sure!

55. Lisa 56

Great concept! Perfect when you have had every other kind of egg –

56. Amber 57

Oooh, breakfast. I bet you could do this camping if you practiced at home a bit.

57. Steph 58

Wow, that’s so cool!

58. junecutie 59

I love baked eggs, and your recipe looks really good. I plan on baking soft rolls later and will use them for this dish. I used to make a dish called toast cups which was made by spreading a piece of bread with mayo and scrunching it into a muffin cup. Then you put 1T cream cheese, one egg, and 1T cream on top with dill,salt and pepper before baking at 400 until eggs are done. I’ve also made them with onion cream sauce, the egg, and then cheese. Anyway you do it, you can’t beat eggs baked in bread.

59. What a terrific idea! I’ve been looking for something new and fun for weekend breakfast!

How exciting that your winery blog will be up soon! Can’t wait! 😉

60. cc 61

YUMMY!! I am going to try this!

61. Paul 62

Yum. I remember making these when I was a little kid, 13 yo or so. so easy to do, I had a little bacon on mine.

62. Mhairi 63

Heya!

I ‘stumbled upon’ this site yesterday and i must say, i’m really impressed!!

i made these for supper last night as i had friends over…cooked off some chopped bacon and mushrooms and layered the bottom of the rolls with that before adding the egg…absolutely yummy!!

i have a feeling i’m going to be lurking at your site from now on…keep up the good work!

63. axel g 64

Beautiful breakfast recipe!

Nice photos too.

64. Clever idea for breakfast! Thanks for sharing.

65. lovely – just lovely – and yes, ideas are endless – you could almost make a mocked egg benedict with this too! Great idea for brunches and late breakfasts…will save to do!

66. Ellen 67

So, re your little bio there, why’d you “escape” the town that built the tunnel? Did you feel the toad tunnel was an inappropriate expenditure, or were you overrun with frogs?

67. Melynda 68

What a great idea for dinner. Breakfast for dinner is always a treat. Thanks.

68. Lynda 69

Hi – My W.J.H. (wonderful Jewish husband) says “no sourdough”,but why not some Challah? Ironic, I spent about 20 yrs. living in Oregon, mostly in Eugene. And…. when I first learned about this recipe, it was called “Toad in a Hole”. But that goes waayy back! Thanks, will give them a try….Lynda

69. Greetings most noble pig…

I made these yesterday. I happen to be baking some hamburger buns when i read your post. Seemed a natural fit for lunch. No cheese on hand, and didn’t do any spices, so your s looked much better than mine, but I was very happy with the results.

Come see

link to yearonthegrill.blogspot.com

70. I just saw Year on The Grill’s site and came over to check yours out. I am totally going to make these!

Thanks for the inspiration!

71. I’ve seen a lot of things, these are something entirely new to me. It does remind of something my grandmother used to make when we were kids. We called it “egg-in-the-middle” though I’m sure there’s another name. Just basically was a slice of bread with a hole made in the center with a shot glass or something, buttered, dropped in the pan, and an egg set in the middle. This looks VERY good, and I definitely think I’m going to have to try it.

72. That’s such a great idea! They are so pretty!

73. Sarah 74

Looks great, an exciting twist on eggs and toast

74. Mcstunnah 75

Saw this right before I went into work(I cook), and made them immediately when i got there. Delicious!

75. Sara 76

=)

76. bonnie 77

I love these. I love the ham idea also, and I might try topping with or layering in bacon.. we love bacon in our household.. terrible i know. btw.. I love the idea of having these for a baby shower..it seems radically appropriate

77. Alejh 78

Im from chile and usually we never eat that, but i think that recepy its great, im gonna make it soon, thanks.

78. Bekki 79

I saw these at like 10:30pm and decided I had to make them… and so I did, however,I was out of the right kind of herbs, so I just used pepper and the cheese,it was excellent.

I also used didn’t have the right roll on hand, so I used an english muffin instead, it worked as a decent sub, but you don’t have a top since the english muffins are so small.

79. oh my goodness! What BRILLIANT idea!!! I LOVE frying a slice of bread with a hole in the centre cut out for an egg but BAKING in bread is a huge leap towards tastotopia. :) THANK YOU

80. Rmg 81

Tip, Don’t use the microwave to get the egg cook faster. it explodes……

Going to clean the microwave now :+ (it tasted okay tho)

81. Lee-Ann 82

This looks so darned yummy! I can’t wait to make this on the weekend. My husband will surely enjoy it!

82. Zoe 83

Why the cream? Can you substitute plain yogurt?

83. Tommy 84

very nice! I put a slice of tomato in the bottom of the bowl, used the Gruyere, and served it with a burre blanc.

84. Jamie 85

I tried a variation of this today, with English muffins and cheddar cheese, and it was DELICIOUS. Really, you can do versions of this with almost any kind of roll and melty cheese – I’ve told my friends all about it, and linked back here so they can see the original version in all its glory for themselves! Thanks for this wonderful recipe!

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness.

86. Stacy 87

I think this would be really good combined with another recipe that my sister and I use to make. Use all the same ingredients, but separate the eggs (keeping the yolks intact) and whip the whites to stiff peaks. We use to put the whipped whites on toast, and then put the yolk on top, but this would be so much better. We’d also put a pat of butter before putting the yolk on, then put the cream on top. We called it eggs in a nest. I think you wouldn’t have to cook it as long then, but I don’t remember how long we use to cook it.

87. Ashley 88

To anyone who has tried this, I imagine the yolk is quite well cooked. I would much prefer a rather running yolk, but would decreasing the time baked ruin the recipe?

88. Noble Pig 89

Ashley- The yolk was runny.

How is it that you don’t weigh 300 pounds? I swear I gain a pound every time I look at one of your recipes!

90. I’ll have to add these to our dinner rotation or breakfast or whatever we eat in the morning anymore!!

91. I tried the foil thing and it dosnt seem to work all that well, it may have been the rolls that I chose… they were from Sams club they were good… just a bit too well done for my tastes, OH i did vary a bit more on the recipe, i placed Canadian bacon on the bottom, with half a slice of American cheese then a mixed up (not scrambled mind you) egg, I only beat them a few times with a whisk just to mix it a bit, I did this so I wouldnt have to get all yolk in one bite YUCK! Hope this comment helps and Thanks for sharing this was AWESOME!

92. Tommy 93

you could decrease the TEMP, and cook it longer, OR soft poach the egg, put it in the bowl, and broil the cheese on top maybe. Just an idea…

93. Ursula 94

Normally, I find bread bowls to be soggily disappointing, but THIS looks FANTASTIC! I am making them at my earliest opportunity!

94. Claudia 95

I do something similar and loving this presentation. Totally scrumptious.

95. PATSY 96

These look great & I am going to try them on Saturday when my grandchildren are here. I was wondering if I could put the rolls standing up in a muffin pan? has anyone tried that?

96. Ooh, these look yummy! Your food photography is stunning! I might try these this weekend!

97. SK 98

That’s an amazing recipe and idea! Have to try this one out. 😉

98. Rene Myers 99

Great blog!

99. SomeRandomChick 100

We had something exactly like yours, only we called them birds nests. They were delish!

But these look amazing, and so easy. I can’t wait to try!

100. retard 101

you could also hollow out a hot pocket and fill it with Hormel chili.

101. leotarded 102

that sounds great! or fill combos snacks with deli meat!

102. Roy Foster 103

I’ve been enjoying eggs with trimmings simialr to yours for years. Except I use slide bread instead of a roll. Wisk the eggs, pour them over a slice of bread on a disposal cellephane plate (we save our used bought pie dishes) season and add toppings and bake for ther same time and it is delicious.

103. Abby 104

These are amazing! I used a little leftover compound butter and spread it on the bottom and added dots of goat brie in place of the cream. I found that adding some extra parmesan at the end and broiling the tops got a salty crunchiness that was as positively addictive. After this delight I have added this blog to my “must make” list!

104. Pisces113 105

gee, that would be about as classy as this comment…

105. Carly 106

Excellent recipe! Looks delicious and so easy to make!

106. Daria 107

That looks absolutely delicious, and pretty easy to make! Thank you much for the post!

107. Amazing. Just yesterday I was thinking wouldn’t it be good to bake eggs in bread bowls. Now I know where to come.

108. Wade 109

So, I’ve been mulling over this for a few days and finally decided to make it.
    I first put fresh diced tomatoes in with some fresh ground pepper. Then, I put a slice of prosciutto on top of it (bacon would work just as well) and a little bit of butter. Then used a layer of soft cheese (I used Havarti, but any soft cheese could work), then the egg, then a dollop of heavy cream, a teaspoon of chives, and another bit of cheese (Brie worked out great). I made sure to break the egg yolk a bit so it would cook a bit more evenly.

Anyhow, end result was really good. I also buttered the “cap” and sliced it into 3 dipping sticks for a bit more “hands-on” fun experience. Add salt/pepper to your taste.

109. Arda 110

I love looking at those recipes and try them myself. Great job!

110. diva2085 111

these do look good but are a little bit tricky. I couldn’t find the round rolls so I used oblong, they didn’t lay flat & tipped over. the egg overflowed a little. I am making these with my Grandchildren and they think they are cool. I will have to get a special pan. If I found round rolls I will put them in my cupcake pans to cook. happy eating.

111. Chrys 112

These look so easy and delicious!

112. This is what I will make for breakfast this weekend. It looks so yummy!

113. This is one of those recipes where you go: ‘damn, why didn’t I come up with that.. so obvious’
    It looks really nice, and I have a new found love of eggs so this is going to be my next weekend breakfast.

114. Dave 115

Cathy..you updated and upgraded the special breakfast my Grandmother used to make in her cast iron skilet….she used a slice of white bread, cut a hole for the egg, but first laid a piece of “cheap” cheddar cheese on the pan bottom…and fried away. Not a “classy” meal, and often a bit messy to eat, but it sure did taste good!

115. brigitte 116

I just tried these after stumbling on the site the other day. I used challa mini rolls, as that is all I could find. These turned out delicious and beautiful. I surprised my boyfriend with breakfast, He was so happy when he saw them, he had to take a picture!! I coupled these with a small glass tumbler of organic french vanilla yogurt, cinnamon, granola, walnuts and pieces of bananas! What a hit!!

Thanks for the great recipe

116. jeannette 117

We had these for dinner last night. They were delicious! I couldn’t find sourdough rolls, so I used dinner rolls. I think I would cook them a little less next time; the eggs were a little dry, maybe the different rolls was the prob. I used parm cheese on three and asiago on three; both were good. Great idea, and fun to eat!

117. These look absolutely wonderful. What a simple yet delicious way to prepare eggs!

118. Oh my gosh. This looks like the best idea for breakfast. Thank you!

119. Michelle N 120

How fun! My kids would love this. They love fried eggs with the runny yolk so I’m sure this will please. I’m heading to the store now and I will be looking of the perfect bread to use. Thanks!

120. What a great recipe. I made it and my kids loved it and so did I. I am always trying new things for them to eat so this is great!

121. sarah 122

best thing is that there is sooooo much less clean up!

122. Anthony2816 123

I really, really need to delete the “food” category from my Stumbleupon list.

I gained five pounds just reading about this recipe.

123. Chris 124

Those look amazing. They seem ridiculously simple yet so classy. I really like the idea of topping them with blue cheese, I can never get enough of that stuff.

124.

125. Sass 126

also fantastic using bagels and fried in the pan, like a twist on eggy in a basket

126. Beth TN 127

These look great. We grow some fine farm eggs around here and I’m looking forward to trying this out with those bright orange yolks!

127. Mendelson 128

I received an answer to my query about how to get copies of recipes from this site, and I don’t understand it at all.
    Color me stupid and let me know what I should do because I got no information and when I clicked on “contact me” I got nothing to explain—three times.
    Finally, this page came up. I’d hoped to get connected to the source (writer?) by now, or have a comprehensible answer. Please try again. Love the recipes; new to this venue.
    Thank you.

128. Jen 129

This is just wonderful! The second time I tried it I also added in some extra virgin olive oil.

129. Now this I will try, and the chef sounds like my kind of lady, go girl, frogs are people too! Or people are frogs too. Either works for me

130. hay2straw 131

Great recipe! thank you!

131. hay2straw 132

Great recipe! thank you!
    May I share it?

132. mushtodo 133

I like this idea, you can even scramble the eggs. Put chopped tomatoes, onions, cheese, touch of onion, garlic. mmgood. If you don’t lay quite flat I trim that spot brushing a touch of butter so it toasts the spot and it still works. Great idea especially for a Valentine’s Day breakfast, Anniversary, and the Christmas Morning house buffet.

133. Kissy 134

What a great idea!!

I made these this morning for my boyfriend, a fellow foodie. I found some great multigrain yet soft rolls at the grocery store and I omitted the cream and parm (didn’t have any), but spiced the eggs and baked for 20 mins. The rolls were the absolute perfect size. I topped them with cheese and broiled them for about 3 mins after they finished baking. Instead of putting the bread piece back on top (we make our own breadcrumbs anyways), I cooked up some small chunks of chicken thigh with orange bell pepper and tomato all seasoned with balsamic, which I reduced while baking the eggs. We topped them with this “hot salsa” and they were FABULOUS!

We’ve decided that next time we make them, we’re going to sprinkle half-cooked bacon crumble into the bowls before cracking in the egg, and top them similar to how I did today, only with bacon as the substitute! We are very unhealthy when it comes to actually eating breakfast together.

134. This is completely inspired! What with the economy as it is, how perfect to make a meal from simple, cheaper ingredients. Oooo- and the bread would get a such a great crust too.

135. Stephan 136

Excellent – I wish it was breakfast time now………..but I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning to try this out!

136. kels 137

Yummy! would be tastee with some spinach added! scramble the eggs a little and still in a few spinach leaves.

137. Looks absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to try them.

138. I love it!

139. Shirley Griffin 140

Can’t wait to try these. They look absolutely delicious and breakfast is my favorite meal.

140. Alice 141

Such a good idea!!!! Tanks for nice photos too!

141. Alice 142

A direct trap for salmonella. These don’t seem to be cooked enough.

142. Linny 143

This looks delicious..but please help..what is heavy cream?..(I am guessing its the cream you would have with dessert?..) or..do you have to have cream at all?(especially if you don’t know what heavy cream is)

sorry if this is a silly question

143. Noble Pig 144

Heavy cream is whipping cream.

144. UK Foodie 145

What a great idea, will be trying these out for breakfast!

145. John 146

made this the weekend and loved it!!!!
    well done!!!

146. Kevin 147

these eggs are an AWESOME idea, sweetheart! MUST try this weekend…

147. Lisa 148

I’ve gotten very far behind in reading my favorite blogs lately, but I couldn’t let this post get by me. These are too adorable! I will be making them for brunch very soon!

148. jana 149

I love this recepy.I have tried the bred and i love it.id realy like to eat more of this.first it was very crunchy and then it became soft.i think that everybody should eat this.every child and every grown up.And from now on i will look for more recepy’s in the web that are yummy like this.And again i really love this recepy and i will give it to my kids.And im sure i will give it to my kids tomorow when they will come home….

149. diana 150

Made them this morning! Que rico. Added some fresh sage and rosemary from my garden. Perfect Touch.

150. Easy fixins 151

I Just remember Something similar to this I use to make when i was younger and Did have much experience cooking. I took a Decent size Piece of bread and the Proceed to Toast it in a toaster. The after wards i would slice the Top of the Bread and insert My favored Deli Meat Some cheese and what ever else that would fit into the single slice (I know this seem odd but at the time it was more of a Like “lets see what i can pull off with these things”(what ever that was at that time i can’t remember but i do remember i tasted Fairly good) though i wouldn’t suggest Rye Bread for People who don’t like sour taste to their breads. Hope this makes a New addition since it no longer suits me anymore.
    And i’d like to add the Toast-Yolk Dipping was one of my Favor things also.

151. Hey there! One of my readers just sent me this link, and I LOVE your site. Can I post a link to you on my site? You are definitely frugal-n-fabulous!

152. Noble Pig 153

Sure!

153. Tony 154

Wow these look really good, simple to make and so many possibilities too.

154. Judith 155

These look really tasty, can’t wait to try them.

155. twentyafterfour 156

man that would be sooooooo worth it.
    Or thake the dog out of the corn dog and fill it with EZ Cheese.

156. Shooby 157

Made these for breakfast this weekend (both days!!). SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!

157. Leslie 158

Yeah! And eat it with bean dip!

158. Emily 159

I made this for my boyfriend this morning to celebrate his birthday. It was amazing! and probably the prettiest breakfast I have ever made. Thanks!

159. Allison 160

Brilliant recipe for baked eggs. I just posted an entry for baked eggs and didn’t even think to place them in little bread bowls. I’m inspired. Thanks!

160. QuizTwit 161

These look so yummy!
    I can’t wait to make some!

161. Jenn 162

GREAT idea! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen such a creative breakfast idea. Do you mind if I try it out and post some variation on my blog?

PS – found your site through stumble :)

162. Martin 163

Just stumbled upon this recipe. It looks like a great idea for breakfast.

PS. Your photography is superb.

163. Susan 164

Wow! Fabulous photos and what a yummy looking breakfast! I just stumbled upon you and so glad I did. :)

164. Gina 165

I am obsessed with this recipe! It’s been on my delicious bookmark tab for about a month now, I just think it is so beautiful and such a wonderful idea for brunch, lunch or dinner! Thanks

165. Freckles 166

i want to eat one of those off my beautiful chinese wife’s ass on sunday morning!

166. Lucy 167

I found you through Stumble, too! We have a lot of dinner parties, but I think we’re going to have to have a breakfast party!

167. annie 168

ANNIE HUNGRY.

168. JOLLY 169

GREAT

IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS DELICIOUS. I AM PLANNING TO TRY IT FOR TOMORROW’S BREAKFAST :)

THANKS FOR SHARING

169. Megan 170

I love food blogs and I have a feeling yours will quickly become a new favorite! Those bread bowls look delicious and I can’t wait to make them! :)

170. These look AMAZING! I can’t wait to try them!

171. kati 172

looks delicious! can’t wait to try this. i love eggs because there are countless things you can make with them!

172. Amanda 173

Oh yummmm yum! I’ve made baked eggs in ramekins but it never occurred to me to make them in bread, genius!

173. Chris 174

Just tried these this morning. Pure awesome. I used mini-kaiser rolls because I couldn’t find dinner rolls at the store; at least, not the ones that look anything like the ones in the pictures. Still came out great, and I will be making these again.
    Thanks.

174. bbfiend 175

i didn’t have any rolls so i just used a piece of sourdough- i put two pieces together with two eggs and it turned out amazingly.

175. alex 176

i’m making this for my boyfriend tomorrow morning, looks absolutely delicious and cute too. definitely a unique breakfast!

176. Those look really really good!!

177. Must try this recipe it looks great and seems quite easy too. My compliments all round on the blog and the photography.

178. Stacy 179

Wow, I don’t like unscrambled eggs either. I thought I was unique! Nice to meet someone else who is!

179. Dan 180

I make these a while ago, and the whites ended up cooking slower than the yoke… ideally i want the whiltes to be solid and the yoke a bit runny. what should i do? convection setting on the oven? i want to make again tomorrow morning…

180. Noble Pig 181

Dan-

Since all ovens are different it’s hard for me to know how to fix what’s going on at your house. I use an electric oven and place the bread on an aluminum cookie sheet.  I’ve never experienced the problem you are having so I’m sorry I cannot diagnose. Maybe keep the eggs further away from the heating element next time.  With enough trial and error you will most likely figure it out.

181. dottie 182

To make the rolls sit up straight and not roll over, try slicing a thin piece off the bottom of each roll. It will sit still that way and not tip and spill the tasty egg out on the pan. Enjoy!

182. daniel herb 183

hey man jus smoked a big j and them bad boys were good real good

183. Elizabeth 184

That looks absolutely delicious! Bread as a bowl with egg and cheese? Wonderful!

184. Anton Ekberg 185

separate the yoke from the egg and add it when the dish is half-cooked. then it should be just creamy and delicious when the eggwhite is finnished.

185. Mike 186

I made these last night, they were unbelievable! I’m pushing this recipe to everyone.

186. Michael 187

it is so, so rare to contract salmonella from an undercooked egg. loosen up.

187. ElizabethM 188

These look lovely, and I have been longing for baked eggs. I have a birthday coming up so I feel a morning cooking spree coming on. (I’d rather cook my own than go out any day–it’s much more fun!) Thanks for posting this recipe!

188. Brittany 189

These look delicious! I haven’t seen many simple and tasty egg recipes around. My boyfriend would absolutely love these. Thanks for the great idea.

189. Mehgan 190

I can’t wait to try this! My boyfriend loathes eggs, though, and my roommate is vegan, so I have no idea who I’d try this with! Sad! Maybe I’ll make one just for me and see how it comes out!

I really can’t stand cooking. Hate it, actually, but I love your site! I found it through stumbleupon and I have been going through your recipes and so many jumped out at me! I made the pepperoni puffs tonight and my boyfriend and I enjoyed them and hae decided to make them again one day (but with more cheese). They were very easy and not-annoying (can you tell I hate cooking?). Clean-up was a breeze too. Thanks for the site! Very excited to try more!

190. buffer 191

ugh, don’t dont be such an incredulous, poxy little wench.

191. Sheri M 192

This looks quite yummy. I am always looking for new (easy) ways to make eggs! I will be trying this soon.

192. Mike 193

A tiny dollop of sour cream works GREAT as a heavy cream substitute. Came out wonderful with fresh Kaiser rolls – yum!

193. Evo 194

I love eggs and always appreciate new recipes – these look great for Sunday brunch!

194. Vanessa 195

….sooo my son posted this onto FB for me with a request for this weekend’s breakfast…going to give it a bash!!

195. jules 196

i made this for my boyfriend & his roommates a week ago – i was a little nervous about how they’d turn out after spending so much time on them ( – the recipe itself is wonderfully straightforward, but i was cooking for several males & therefore my required SHEER VOLUME of production made the whole enterprise a little bit labor intensive) but after i served ’em they were universally declared BANGIN’.

seriously, they were easy & so pretty & very filling. everybody was way impressed with me over them, so i’ve got you to thank. i guess my audience was expecting sort of basic egg sandwich type items, but when they came out, the egg had permeated the bread & baked right into it in a really delicious & unexpected way – so this is really more than the sum of its’ parts.

i made these with a slice of havarti at the bottom of each bread bowl, & i beat the eggs very lightly with a pinch of chives before pouring them into the bowls. i used a dollop of creme fraiche on top instead of heavy cream, & i served it all up with roasted asparagus, shredded hashbrowns, & a patty of veggie sausage.

bangin’.

important note: i did all this in high heels. i’m pretty much the best girlfriend there is; just saying.

196. What a clever idea!

197. Eric 198

Me too I like my eggs integrated,not segregated.

198. RatCityCircus 199

I made these with rosemary herb rolls, and at the 20 minute mark I topped them with piles of spinach. Once I took them out I drizzled them with warm hollandaise. Let me tell you – when I got home from work my boyfriend had bough a package of fresh rolls – he just pointed at them and said “can you make these awesome again?” Thanks for the great recipe!!

199. Liz 200

I just got to this page through stumbleupon and omg they look so good I can’t even wait to try them! I’m on my way to the store right this second.

200. Susan 201

Just made these. So gourmet, easy and delicious. Served the toasted top on the side w/ fresh raspberry jam.

201. Solomon 202

I made these this morning for my wife and me…easy and delicious! I used large onion rolls that fit two eggs so had to bake for 30 minutes. My herb mix consisted of parsley, chive, and basil. One fun suggestion: I made the inside of the rolls into little dough balls and covered them with melted butter and the herb mix, then put them in the oven for 5-7 minutes…a nice appetizer while waiting for the full meal. Keep up the writing, love your blog!

202. ff 203

This is such a neat idea! I just made it with soft little round sourdough dinner rolls — I didn’t put anything on top of the eggs, just baked for 25 minutes. When they were on the plate, I but a big spoonful of pesto on top & topped that with grated Parmesan cheese. Very, very, very good indeed.

I didn’t toast the tops of the rolls — I’m going to add those to the chunks that I tore out of the middle of the rolls & feed them to the ducks on my walk tomorrow morning — it will make a nice change from stale bread for them.

Many thanks for this lovely recipe.

203. Susan 204

Made it two days ago! They were amazing! Next time I will add a slice of tamato and onion to it (for dinner …) because my eggs got a little bit too dry. But I loved it, I ate way too much of them :) Keep it up!!!

204. shary 205

hi
    these pics are marvellous…are they real?

205. Kim 206

These are definitely tasty! I however did not have rolls around and instead sliced off a nice chunk of Italian bread and pulled the middle out from there being careful to not poke through the bottom. This is great for dinner with a small portion of pasta!

206. BR33 207

Thanks for this delicious recipie! We used store bought wheat dinner rolls, which were really easy to cook because the bottom was already flat.
    Well rounded meal, the kids cant get enough of it!

207. Giggles 208

My boyfriend and I have four of these in the oven right now. We followed the recipe but put a little mozzarella cheese in addition to Parmesan. Also I think I might try some pesto on mine with some diced tomatoes…. Anyway, they look delicious, and I’m going to be making these all the time from now on! =D

208. Joe 209

I just made four this morning. Outstanding. I pretty much followed the recipe except I added fresh marjoram to tarragon, chives and parsley( I have an herb garden). Mozzarella and diced tomatoes sound good.

209. Keith 210

Made this morning – here’s what I did:

I buttered the inside of the bread and added some freshly cooked loose sausage. Cracked the egg on that and added cream, salt, pepper, some shredded colby-jack cheese I had on hand and fresh chives.

It took a while for the eggs to set, but once they did I added a garnish of crumbled bacon and fresh basil.

They were amazing.

210. Logan 211

yum.

Since I’m in Vermont, I added a maple syrup to the top before cooking and the little extra sweetness was nice.

Great idea. It was tasty, pretty, and I was able to make it in my college dorm kitchen with very limited supplies.

211. Tsun 212

Ahhhhh this made me so hungry!

212. megs pet sitting 213

Wow. My sister sent this to me after I had asked her about egg recipies…I have four Rhode Island Reds and they give me four eggs a day( NO ONE can consume four eggs a day!) But, I thoiught some new and different ways of cooking eggs.We even use the shells for our garden.Wonderful photos and a tasty dish,too.

213. Gill 214

Made these for Breakfast yesterday. Absolutely delicious – restaurant quality! So so so quick to whip up as well.

214. Ari 215

I’m trying these on Thursday for my boyfriend’s birthday. I hope they come out as pretty as yours. I got my sourdough rolls at Whole Foods- they seem kinda big.

215. Vanessa 216

This looks great! I’ll bet you could even serve just eggs in the “bowls” for breakfast.

216. Despina 217

This looks fantastic. Number one for a Sunday brunch

217. Zack 218

What a fantastic looking treat :)!

I have a quick question. With Father’s day coming up I think this would be a great breakfast in bed choice for my pops! only problem is that he has high cholestrol, so my question is, is it possible to use cholestrol free “egg-beaters” with this recipe and possibly skim milk? I know it takes away much of the fatty goodness, but i’m just wondering if it would take away any of the tastiness.

Thanks so much Cathy, your site is fantastic:)!

218. WOW!! I love baked eggs, but have never seen them done like this!! AWESOME! I’ll definitely be trying these!

219. Patti 220

Hi,
    I’m writing again. I’m new to this food blog thing and loving every minute of it. I found your site a few days ago and made that amazing brown sugar coffee cake. I keep looking around for recipes but keep coming back here. We think alike. I just printed off 2 more recipes and am running off to the store to buy the ingredients. Baked eggs in bread bowls and OMG peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes ! I LOVE that you included a recipe for frosting because store frosting has always turned me off a bit. You rock sister :)

220. satla 221

Wow!it´s a amazing recipe!

i think i´m gona try it in the next weekend! =)
    This would be great for a late night supper.

221. Really cool recipe , will try it out myself :)

222. Really cool recipe , will try it out myself :)

223. yasa 224

Very good idea for breakfast

224. Shea 225

I linked to this post on facebook. Looks amazing–my breakfast of plain toast is jealous.

And I too love mayonnaise, butter, and Jewish men.

225. cody 226

you got the sourdough bowls from panera id recognize them anywhere

226. Cat 227

I have nailed this recipe. I made mine with half-baked bread rolls so they cook at the same time as the egg. I also layered streaky bacon inside the “bread hole” and then put the egg in. I then had it with a hollendaise sauce. OM NOM NOM NOM :) Such a good diea. Thanks!!

227. david 228

nice

228. Rick604 229

Very nice egg in bread, love to see different ways to make life a celebration pass it foward!

229. sara 230

That looks yummy, I’ve got to try that!

230. Helen 231

I made these for my husband and friends on the morning of a wedding we were going to, as it seemed a quick way to properly feed 6 people for a long day:) I also put some diced cooked bacon in the bread bowls before I put in the egg and they were absolutely GORGEOUS. I used chives as the herbs instead too. Yum yum.

231. Baked egg items are hygienic food for health

232. nicole 233

ok so i’m a beginner cook …and i use that term loosely. what do you mean by cream. is that sour cream? just trying to do this right! thanks.

233. Noble Pig 234

Heavy Cream.

234. Amanda D. 235

I Just made a variation of this and its amanzing thanks so much!

Amanda D. San Diego, CA

235. Samir 236

This looks very delicious, my daughter has asked me to make this for her and I am certainly going to try it this week.

Can you also post some vegetarian recipe?

236. Tauseef 237

It is delicious!!!! Really gorgeous.

237. Joe 238

If you have softer bread, put the eggs in a saucepan with some butter and about 3/4 an inch of hot water and partially poach. Remove the egg(s) and put in the bread and then bake until done.

238. Wow – these look so nice! This is a great idea for breakfast for my hubby, he loves breakfast food and I’m always looking for fun, new ideas for our weekend spread.

239. Joy 240

We called ours eggs in a window! These look wonderful…we plan to try them this weekend when our son comes home from college for the first time.

240. Allie A. 241

These may be the most attractive eggs that I have ever seen. They look easy and delicious as well. I will have to try this recipe some time in the near future.

241. AuroraBelle 242

Thanks for the recipe! I got some awesome momma points for making this for my son’s breakfast this morning. He needs a high protein breakfast and we are always looking for new ways to do eggs.

I added sausage to the bottom of the bowls for added protein and substituted monterey jack cheese for parmesan to make it more 11-year-old friendly.

All in all, this was a major success and will be made again soon.

242. rob 243

what do i do with the leftover bread i scoped out lol

243. Cassie 244

I’ve tried them, and the yolks cooked through in the 25 minutes at 350 (though I really was looking for a good runny yolk). If you’re worried, just bake them a little longer and they’re still delicious!

244. Cassie 245

I don’t know about the Egg Beaters (though, how bad could they be?), but I made mine with skim milk– also attemping to lower awful cholesterol– and they turned out fantastic. I’m sure the fat of the cream would have been tasty, too, but I’m not letting myself try them that way now, knowing that I was totally satisfied by them with skim milk.

245. Cassie 246

These are fantastic. I happened to have a few mini whole wheat kaiser rolls on hand when I read this, (I now have one– oops) and have made them twice in the past two days. Toaster oven once with a little foil tent to keep from overtoasting the bread, oven once. Unfortunately the yolks have firmed up both times, but I guess that means I’ve got an excuse to keep experimenting. I’d like dippy yolks, but it’s not like these aren’t great regardless.
    The only changes I made are dried herbs, because I didn’t have fresh ones handy, and skim milk instead of cream. Not a problem at all!
    Thanks for the awesome idea!

246. Cassie 247

It might be worth trying just adding more cream. I used milk in mine and I used more than I meant to the second time, but it kept the bread moister and softer (not mushy though!) and made them easier to eat. It was perfect!

247. kelly 248

These would go over so well here. Cool idea. Takes the baked eggs we love to a whole new level — with more carbs :)

248. Ladyoh 249

I discovered this site Stumbling on Jan 19th, 2010 and my family LOVES it! We like it best with Brioche rolls. The other changes that I made ar3; after I hollow out the rolls I spread softened herb chevere cheese in them, then add two eggs and the heavy cream, – and that is it! I also found that it works better if you crack the eggs and drain the liquid in a seperate container-sometimes not all of it will fit).
    Thank you so much for this recipe!

249. Adam 250

Oh, this sounds like a great treat for special brunches.

250. Beth 251

These look so good! I think I saw the recipe before but then misplaced it. Gonna have to try it now :)

251. These are so cute. What a wonderful presentation. They would make a great breakfast dish to serve when you have overnight guests.

252. Sara 253

I made this today for breakfast with my in laws. It was INCREDIBLE! I used the bread bowls from Panera and I used 2 eggs instead of one. I laid some swiss cheese on the bottom, eggs, and then cream and them some parm on the top. I even added some sauteed spinach to my bowl and my mother in laws. It was so good. Thank you so much for this recipe!
    The only thing I left out were the herbs. I didn’t like the way my Tarragon looked, or smelled, and the parsley wasn’t cutting it. It was delicious.

253. Tracey 254

When my son was growing up we called these a toad in the hole.

254. Just_Maybe 255

My son calls them one-eyed monsters, while my daughter refers to them as bird’s nests. Go figure. These look yummy and I bet my budding cook (13) could make them with little help. Maybe these will make it onto our Easter brunch menu.

255. Barbara A. Leveritt 256

this looks like an interesting spot to visit!

256. Dick 257

We know them as “Cyclops” from the one-eyed monster of yore. You can also put a fried egg into a large pancake with its middle missing!

257. Tina Horner 258

I made these for breakfast today and they were awesome! I added some dijon mustard to the bottom of the bowl with a very thin slice of ham and followed the recipe the rest of the way. The only bummer was @ 25 minutes, my yokes were hard. Next time I’ll check them at 20 minutes. I was looking forward to a runny yoke. All in all, very little effort for such a beautiful dish.

258. moomin 259

this looks absolutely scrumptious! :9 I’ll defs try this for mother’s day since it’s coming up :) <3 xx

259. These look gorgeous – and there’s probably a million different variations you could do with them. For me, instantly came the thought that they’d be great with a splash of Worcestershire Sauce over the cheese/cream, much in the same way as Swiss Eggs – except in an edible bowl!

260. Laney 261

Wow, just finished eating mine… Sooooo good!

I used a large Telera roll, added 1/2 cup egg whites and 1 egg, a little bit of season-all, some fat free shredded cheese and a pinch of bacon bits. Baked for 15mins, added tops and baked 5 more. Turned out amazing and only about 375- 400 calories!! <3

261. Johnny H 262

This is amazing, i had to try it this morning. It may not have come out exactly like this, but i thought it tasted pretty good haha.

Would you mind if i use this on a blog?

262. Jaimie 263

I was just thinking the same thing!

263. Tim 264

seems to be a variation on a “Toad in the Hole”
    (look it up, it exists)

264. Maggy 265

Wow those are stinking cute! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks

265. Doreen plautz 266

Looks delicious

266. lillian 267

Well I made them and put a spoon full of cream spinach and topped with durkeys onion rings. AWESOME

267. Ines 268

Wow! They’re so amazing! An easy recipe and scenographic :)

268. Que lindo e apetitoso, em breve vou reproduzir aqui. Adorei o site! Parabéns!
    Bjuss!!!

269. I was writing a lengthy kudo session re making your scrumptious egg dish, and was starting to tell you about some of the ideas that have flowed from our cooking/eating session today. I started to tell you about recently spending 10 days in Santa Fe – and becoming irretrievably hooked on New Mexican (i.e. totally chilecentric) cuisine. We’re excited about a version using a Southwest theme involving potentially several types of chiles – and in spelling out “jalapeno” used the wrong ASCII key for the tilde, and the whole post disintigrated… ayayayay!. So in this truncated version, suffice to say that we love your idea and will be making a significant part of future breakfast menus!

270. Oh.my.goodness. these look absolutely ah.mazing. Sunday brunch, top of my list. Thanks!!

271. Jen 272

I made these for breakfast this morning – they were delish!! I will definitely make these again – very soon. I used a largish dinner bun and put a layer of chopped spinach in the bottom of the bun before cracking the egg in and it worked well – tasty and we got a little bit of veg in us first thing in the morning. We had one bun each and I served it with a side of bacon and some leftover homemade tater tots (www.macheesmo.com) from the night before. Great way to start the day – thanks for the recipe!!

272. Made these today for brunch, just PERFECT! :) thanks for sharing

273. Love these, Cathy! Merry Christmas, friend!

274. I love seeing posts with new breakfast ideas. Thanks

275. Bill 276

I’ve been wanting to make this dish like this for my wife for some time. As we are near vegan but not, I thought this would be a good exercise. I really enjoyed the dish, changing only the heavy cream for some Greek yogurt thinned with a little almond milk. I did use the cheese as well as the prescribed herbs. My wife was not so entheasused. She thought the crusty roll was too crusty and the egg too hard! Just goes to show…You can’t please everyone.
    I’ll keep trying just the same.

Bill

276. Deanna 278

Has anyone tried these with a different kind of roll? I have looked at two grocery stores and a bakery, and none of them had sourdough or brioche rolls. I’d like to make this on Saturday morning, so I’d appreciate any suggestions fast!

277. Peggy 279

My grocery store/deli didn’t have the individual, crusty rolls. Could I use an English muffin to make this?

278. Luyao Wang 281

just made this, the eggs were still runny and tasted heavenly. Thank you for the gorgeous breakfast recipe and a lovely morning:)