Guinness Sundae

I have not been to the grocery store for almost 2 weeks, which is a world record for me.  The beautiful weather (although very cold) continues in Oregon and for me that means all work and no play.

We are very lucky to have these dry days which allow us to get up to the vineyard property and work.  The current agenda requires us to continue with stick picking the land before grapes are planted in the Spring.  Crawling around in the mud on your hands and knees for 5-6 hours is a whole different kind of exercise.  It makes you aware of every muscle you have in the form of aches and pains.  Dislodging large logs from the mud is also very hard on the hands.  My fingertips have become so tender, even typing is uncomfortable at this point.

However, stick-picking your own vineyard property makes you realize what you are doing is the result of a passion to see a dream through. Otherwise you would just quit.  It’s too hard.

So even though I haven’t cooked a meal in who knows how long now (takeout has been our only saving grace) I did manage to make us this little dessert last night.  I always have Guinness in the refrigerator, since it goes so nicely in chocolate cake.  I like having it around.  So when I came across this little recipe, I thought okay, I’ll find the energy to put this together.  Glad I did.

I loved the richness this syrup has with a nice after bite.  It was so good and so much better than regular store-bought ice cream syrup.  I think this would be good over cheesecake too.

Make it for the Guinness lover in your life.

You’ll need some Guinness of course or any other stout beer.

Guinness Sundae
Adapted from Food Network Magazine

One 15 ounce can Guinness or other stout beer
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, cold and diced
Vanilla or butter pecan ice cream
Accompaniments:  Shortbread cookies

Bring one 15 ounce can Guinness and 1/2 cup sugar to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat and cook until syrupy, about 40 minutes.  Whisk in 3 Tablespoons diced cold butter.  Drizzle the Guinness caramel over vanilla or butter pecan ice cream.  Serve with shortbread cookies if you have some.

One Year Ago:  Where Is He Getting His Information…

1. Hmmmmm, I am not a fan of Guinness at all but this has my curiosity piqued! I’m tempted to make it just to see what the hubby things…he’s English after all and always down for trying something I might not enjoy! Especially if it includes ice cream!

2. Oh and Bag Balm for your hands and then sleep in soft cotton gloves. I have severe eczema and sometimes my hands are so raw and sore I have to do this for days on end.

OMG my husband will flip his lid for this. He is a Guinness nutcase…thinks it’s God’s gift. Thank you, thank you.

4. Angie 4

You’ve won me over. My hubby and I both adore Guinness as much as chocolate, probably more!

5. Oh. My. God. that looks absolutely amazing. bookmarked, printed out, saved everywhere necessary.
    Thanks Cathy!!!

6. Martha Stewart has a recipe for Guinness cupcakes that I think I might make for St. Patrick’s day next year. Until then, I’ll have to make this. :)

7. annbb 7

The sense of accomplishment you must feel…worth a couple million bucks! I’m so in awe and also very proud of you making your dream HAPPEN! It’s truly wonderful, my friend. If I were close by, I’d gladly come stick pick for you anytime! :-)

Oh, and that sauce looks delightful!

8. Julie 8

I’m not sure what stick picking is, sounds like hard work! The sundae definitely gets my vote of yum!

9. so… I am wondering if this hardens up (or how I could get it to harden to make guiness pecan pralines?

any thoughts, would be a big hit with my drunken crowd

10. OK, and now I am wondering what happens if you use a different type of beer… I am a Killian’s man myself

11. Laurie 11

My husband loves ice cream and he loves Guinness! I can win serious brownie points by making this sauce – and it’s so simple.

You should get some Bag Balm for your hands. It’s really good stuff for tender hands (and I guess tender udders). So glad you are enjoying yourself, even if the work is hard.

12. Josie 12

I love Guinness in just about anything – but especially ice cream! I make stout ice cream all the time (like the beer is actually a part of the ice cream) and I also make Guinness floats with good vanilla ice cream floating in a pint of Guinness. I cannot wait to try this syrup next!

13. So simple. You can elevate store bought desserts with one small touch. The sauce would be great over a piece of cake too. :)

14. Helsie 14

Guiness and chocolate? I’ve never tried that but it sounds interesting and the sauce looks devine so I’ll put Guiness on my shopping list.
    Cheers

15. elra 15

Simply delicious. Pretty tempting too.

Okay, I think I would die for this… It looks simply delicioso!

17. Fallon 17

Interesting, I like it!

18. KathyB. 18

I can see that you will truly know, appreciate, and love your land by the time it is producing grapes and wine. You will also have contributed a LOT of sweat, tears and probably blood for it also. Looks like you’re working hard enough to fully enjoy the calories this dessert has to offer along with great and delicious taste.

19. Wine making is a way of life and definitely a lot of hard work..just ask the vintners around here…but the day will come when you plant those vines and then the magic will happen.

20. Wow, it sounds like you’re putting lots of blood, sweat and tears into that land! I bet a nice sundae is welcome after work like that. It looks great.

21. Lara 21

How long to you think this will last? Do you think you could make and give as a holiday gift? It looks like a great unique gift. Thanks.

22. OHHH… Excellent question… I am so fascinated by this

23. Marisa 23

I love your blog! I’m looking forward to trying this one out…do you think it will keep in the fridge like a syrup, or will it get too thick? I’d love to make this for friends of mine for hostess gifts!

24. I’m not a fan of ice cream, but I love cheesecake. And shhh, I don’t know that I have ever tried Guiness but know that I can buy single cans at the liquor store. Hmmm, experiment in my future?

25. Julia 25

Funny you should post this — I was just talking about beer floats with a client. To me, they sound gross, but this looks pretty tasty! Maybe, I can be convinced after all 😉

26. Alta 26

Oh. My. God. This sounds so wonderful! When, oh when, will there be a gluten-free Guinness? I miss it!

27. That does look delicious.
    And I love ice cream with chocolate syrup. I need a change though. I’ll have to try this!
    Bet you never thought that stick picking would be part of your dream. tee hee

28. Noble Pig 28

Hmmm, the syrup would likely become to thick.  You would probably have to heat it to make it pourable after refrigerating.  Also, you would have to make so much to make a gift portion as you have to reduce it a lot to get the syrup.  I would not reccommend doubling the recipe as the reduction time would take too long.

29. Tammy 29

I love hearing about what you’re doing on the vineyard, even if it sounds like painful work!

30. Awesome creation, both my husband and I would love this for sure!

31. Noble Pig 31

Well, it wasn’t around long enough for me to know if it would harden up properly. Sounds like a good experiment though. Let us know.

32. Noble Pig 32

I’ve never had Killian’s, it’s a lager right? It would be interesting to see how it would taste as a reduction.

33. Noble Pig 33

I do have Bag Balm but my hands are not cracked they are just sore, as in the muscles in my fingers are sore and tender from digging out rocks and logs. In other words, my hands feel like they just ran a marathon.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! How do I get an IV hookup of it?

35. Noble Pig 35

I am not sure but one batch would not be enough for a gift, it would really be a small portion.

36. Mary 36

What a lovely and surprisingly easy sauce, Cathy. Guinness lover’s everywhere will worship at your feet :-).

37. Lena in VT 37

You are my hero.

A good ice cream sundae always makes the pain more bearable…

39. Lady, you are speaking my language! :)

Cool! That stuff is great. I tried it and it turned out fabulously rich tasting. Much better than chocolate syrup on your Blue Bell Ice Cream! Fit for a king. Thanks for that one.

We always have Guinness around the house but usually not for cooking. My husband will love this.

42. Another great recipe. We keep this around too so I can make this syrup easily! I think we could find many uses for this syrup, probably good over bread pudding too.

That does sound like hard work! You just have to keep your eye on the prize!

44. emily 44

oh my goodness, this sounds delicious! thank you for posting! one question – how much does it make?

45. Aubrey 45

I had just put your cranberry/pork stew on the stove last night, kicked back with the computer… and saw this. The stew was for tonight, and this will absolutely be dessert – my boyfriend and I both love Guinness, so this will be the perfect finish to a delicious meal! It’s great how consistently your recipes are delicious – if I see it here, I probably will love it when I make it!

46. Noble Pig 46

Well there was enough for about four bowls of ice cream. I really don’t have an amount, maybe 1/2 cup?

47. Oh yum! I love me a Guinness!

48. I have some Guinness in the refrigerator, and I can’t wait to try this! Looks amazing.

49. This is such a great idea!

50. Oh yum! I love using Guiness this way! Do your boys like this?

51. Oops! I forgot an ‘n’. 😀

52. Jeff 52

Yum! Guinness and ice cream woo hoo!!! I have done it as an ice cream before but never as a syrup. Definitely going to give this a shot!

I can see why this would taste good, great flavor combo there. I’ve heard those hand dips in wax work wonders for what ails your specific case.

54. Lisa 54

Oh WOW! This sounds amazing! I will try this soon!

55. mj 55

If there is leftover syrup (I know, IF), can it be refrigerated for later use?

56. Ginny 56

yum! yum! That looks great!