Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I'm a little bit disappointed.  You see, I have always been told when you live in the country, during the summer season, you must lock your car doors.  Not because someone will steal your car but because they will fill it up with bountiful amounts of zucchini they have grown in their garden.

What?

Well, I've purposely left my car doors open for days and days now and NO ZUCCHINI!  Nothing.  Nada.  Where is it people?

I'm not sure what the problem is, I would treat the zucchini so well.  I would pan-fry it, make zucchini fries, make some desserts...some breads.  I would even share my treats.

So what's the problem...where's my zucchini?!

Well, it could be, a) I don't live far enough out in the country or b) folks on the golf course don't grow zucchini in their backyards.  I'm thinking it's b.  Bummer.

However, it gave me another excuse to visit the amazing farm stands we have here in the countryside of Oregon. The produce is some of the best I have ever seen. I feel privileged shopping there every day.

Anyway, I made my way out to
Farmer John's produce stand and picked up some zucchini for a Chocolate Zucchini Cake.  I love this cake because it's sturdy and has a great texture with a lovely background orange flavor.  The frosting is also very decadent and really makes a wonderful dessert.  Except, I had it for breakfast.  Whoops.

Let's make it together shall we...

First, you will need some zucchini.  Enough to make 2 cups, shredded, which is about 4 small zucchini.

I shredded my zucchini in the food processor and then gave it an extra chop with a very sharp knife.  You can also use a box grater to shred your zucchini.

In a medium-size bowl whisk together 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cocoa (sifted), 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon table salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Set aside.

Using a stand mixer or a regular mixer cream together 3/4 cup butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy; about three minutes.  Add 3 eggs, one at a time, until each is fully combined.  Continue to mix adding 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and the zest of one orange.

Add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with 1/2 cup whole milk; begin and end with the flour mixture.  Mix on low speed only until combined.  Don't overmix.

Fold in zucchini and 1 cup of chopped nuts.  (I used walnuts.)

You can make this cake in layers or in a 9 x 13 pan.  I used two eight-inch pans that were greased and floured and placed into a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle returns clean.

Once the cakes have cooled it's time to make the Cream Cheese Frosting. In a large bowl beat together two-eight ounce packages of cream cheese and 1/2 cup butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.  Once combined continue to beat in 2 cups confectioner's sugar on low speed.  (If not using right away, place in the refrigerator.)

Chocolate Zucchini Cake make it this weekend
Lots of crunch and lots of flavor.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake its delicious you should try it

Cream Cheese Frosting:

• 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions

• In a medium-size bowl whisk together flour, cocoa (sifted), baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon. Set aside.
  • Using a stand mixer or a regular mixer cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about three minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until each is fully combined. Continue to mix adding vanilla extract and the zest of one orange.
  • Add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with whole milk; begin and end with the flour mixture. Mix on low speed only until combined. Don't overmix. Fold in zucchini and nuts.
  • You can make this cake in layers or in a 9 x 13 pan. I used two eight-inch pans that were greased and floured and placed into a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle returns clean. Let cakes cool for five minutes in the pan and then flip them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
  • Once the cakes have cooled it's time to make the Cream Cheese Frosting. In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and butter and vanilla extract. Once combined continue to beat in confectioner's sugar on low speed. (If not using right away, place in the refrigerator.)
  • Frost completely cooled cake and place cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

The Best Chocolate Zucchini Cake

More Zucchini Cake Recipes You Will Love:
Chocolate Zucchini Coconut Cake ~ Two Peas & Their Pod
Deep Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Zucchini Cake ~ Dinner with Julie
Low Carb Chocolate Zucchini Cake ~ All Day I Dream About Food

And for more zucchini...
25 Must-Make Zucchini Recipes

One Year Ago Today:  Sour Cream Fudge Cake with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting

1. Diane 1

I’ve just had a break away from my allotment. Gave careful instructions on how to water the tomatoes. They didn’t need instructions on picking the peas though! We took away with us a couple of courgettes. Stopped off on our journey at my mum’s house and was given another huge courgette. Returned via mum’s again and was given yet more courgettes. Returned to allotment to find king of the courgettes sitting waiting to be picked. It was as big as a melon. I’ve turned it into vegetable lasagna!

On our return to the allotment I counted three red tomatoes ready to be picked. I left this picking to my partner to do whilst I started picking beans. I returned with a bag full to find he’d only picked two. You’ve missed one, I told him. No I havent he said. You have! I insisted. No, I ate one!
    We’ve not yet had fisticuffs over the tomtaoes but it’s pretty close!

2. Chaya 2

Who would believe that we are looking at zucchini. The wonders of nature that zucchini can be disguised so well that it becomes cake.

I wish I was not dieting right now. LOL. This looks awesome!

I made the blueberry banana bread that you, Pam & Leslie made…it will be guest blogged on Carrie’s Kitchen Creations soon! It was DELISH! :-)

4. Penny Wolf 4

That looks great! I just made a cake very similar, there are probably many chocolate cake recipes when it comes to zucchini.Please note your recipe is missing the milk but it is in your instructions.

5. Julia 5

Or maybe their zucchini plants are doing as well as mine… and growing bubkus! Darn it, I wish my plants were producing so I could make this…

6. Wow, that looks amazing. I might just have to give this a try.

7. Y’know…if the wine thing doesn’t work out, you could always open a restaurant. Another “must try!”

8. Donna 8

Not only would that be my breakfast, Id opt for it also at lunch and then dessert, has veggies in it you know? Lokks fantastic Cathy!!

9. I’m going to make this for our Bible fellowship this weekend. Last weekend I made the zucchini cake Ree had featured in her cooking section and even my husband who hates zucchini and hates coconut had to admit it was okay. (I thought it was wonderful, but he kept trying to pick out the taste of the zucchini and imagining that the coconut or pineapple was the zucchini part.) I think chocolate should be even more tempting for my family of zucchini haters. I personally love zucchini and would eat it all the time if I wasn’t the only one eating it.

10. Ginny 10

I’d eat it for breakfast too! Looks delicious! :)

11. Yowza!

12. Rindy R 12

Now that is how I like to get my veggies!

Lordy! This looks so good I’d almost wear it. This has to be the best way ever, to eat your veggies!

14. Someone give this woman a zucchini!!

That looks so good–I love the idea of chocolate w/ the zucchini!

15. Ramona 15

Pictures are amazing. That cake looks outstanding.
    Ramona

16. Mary 16

I carrots can go in spice cake there’s no reason zucchini can’t go into chocolate cake. When I make this it will be based solely on your rec. Have I ever told you about my brother Tony from New Jersey? He likes me to be happy.

17. deeba 17

I ♥ a chocolate zucchini cake. Tried it off Elle’s New England Kitchen recipe, sans the frosting, & it was a winner. The kids didn’t realize there was ‘green’ in there. Great post Cathy…leave the doors open! Never know when you’ll get lucky!

18. Gorgeous cake. Love the local produce stands. Mine’s on the honor system. Select what you want and leave the money in the can. God bless small town America.

19. Marlene 19

“if” I lived near you, and “if” I had a garden full of zucchini, I would definitely fill your car…only “if” you made me one of those cakes….I would love you forever, but then I already do.

20. Since this cake has zucchini in it, a piece counts as a full serving of vegetables, right?

21. Oh I just love vegetables in my dessert! I’m not kidding :) I usually go for the traditional carrot cake but this just seems divine. Would this work with other vegetables as well?

XO Angelique

22. elra 22

Oooohhh, aaaaahhhh! That look irresistible indeed! Never made this chocolate Zucchini cake before, sounds pretty tempting.

23. Kim 23

Well I could run some zucchini over to you! My plant resemble something from the dinosaur age and my counter and fridge are piled with zucchini right now. Your cake would be a perfect way to use some more of it up. It looks wonderful!

I’m thinking of putting a box out at the end of my drive with a FREE sign. :0)

24. I would love to try this chocolate zucchini cake – looks amazing!

25. Biz 25

One word – WOW! Um, this is definitely insulin worthy in my book!

I love cream cheese frosting – my step-son loves carrot cake (no nuts or raisins) and I make a cinnamon cream cheese frosting that is so good.

The carrot cake recipe, while it does have healthy carrots, also calls for 2 cups of oil – so moist!

26. Noble Pig 26

Thank you!

27. Noble Pig 27

I’ve never tried it with other veggies.  It might work.  The biggest concern would be the moisture content of other vegetables, if they are too wet it might change the outcome of the cake.

Ha! Love the story and the picture of zucchini is so, so beautiful.

29. Kari 29

From the tone of your last few blogs, it sounds like you are LOVING life in Oregon! Are you completely unpacked?

Thanks for the recipe, I’ll be making this one soon…my zucchini isn’t quite ready yet!

30. Katheryn 30

That looks great! We have zucchini coming out of our ears, so I’ll be making that this week.

Question. Nobody in my family likes cream cheese frosting. Any ideas?

31. This is the only safe and effective way to eat zucchini! Love the frosting too.

there are lots of good uses for zucchini–i like ’em stuffed and grilled, and bread is always tasty. this, however, is in a league of its own and far superior. here’s hoping you get a carload of zukes soon. :)

Looks great. I’m jealous of your farm stands. The closest thing we have is a sketchy guy who sells berries. And I’m a bit worried about where they come from…

34. LilSis 34

That is one fantastic looking slice of cake! I’ve made different versions of zucchini bread and once tried zucchini in a carrot cake, but with chocolate? Wow!

The problem is, if I make this, I can’t eat it, because I don’t like chocolate foods (not to be confused with real chocolate, which I love). Believe me, I love zucchini, and that’s one reason I have a garden. I might share if you lived across the street. Or I might just tell you to send the hooligans for garden making lessons so they could plant one for you!

36. That cake looks amazing!!! And too bad you had to go buy it!! Ha!

37. Noble Pig 37

Maybe just your favorite white fosting, something sturdy would be best.

38. Noble Pig 38

Without a doubt.

39. Addie 39

Ooh, that looks so yummy! I’ve got zucchini in the fridge that I’m just dying to bake into bread, but I might have to try this instead.

And, by the way, I live in the country and I’ve never had anyone sneak zucchini into my car. Darn. Maybe it’s just a West Coast thing?

40. Tanya 40

Oh, yummy! I love zucchini cakes – even better when it’s chocolate!

41. I have never heard that people will fill your cars with zuccini.

42. Lisa 42

Cathy, your ‘noble pig’ moniker is one I’ve seen around many blog comment areas for a while now, and it always intrigued me..as I recall a British pub by that name (Was it in the original American Werewolf in London? lol). In any event, I finally decided to stop by..and once I read your little ‘about’ intro I thought, ‘My kinda gal!’. Love your site – great writing, phenomenal photos, and uhhhh..the above cake is expanding my ass via my eyes. Must try! Nice to meet you virtually!

43. Maria in Oregon 43

I made chocolate zucchini bread before, and it’s super moist and yummy.

Don’t have problems leaving my car unlocked, but you can’t see the table in the break room here at the office cuz it’s absolutely covered in home grown produce for people to take as they wish!

44. Lisa 44

How cool is that? It’s a great country style layer cake to say the least. I might have to go buy some zucchini myself.

45. Hilary 45

Hi Cathy .. looks really interesting and delicious .. I just love all the things one can do with courgettes plain and simple .. but this looks good! Just have no nippers to eat most of it for me ..
    Enjoy the summer in Oregon ..
    Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

46. Thanks for the link to the Twilight post! This looks amazing as always. I am going to go back and look up your chocolate stout cake though! Far more tempting than zucchini… although if I were going to eat zucchini, this would be the method!

47. laura 47

yum. yum. double yum. i can’t wait to make this.

48. I recently made a chocolate zucchini cake and posted it. It was so good and like you WHERE is the zucchini people usually give me. I have lots of recipes in my head.

I’m going to remake my cake and steal two ideas from you. The orange zest and putting frosting on it. I’m going to make orange cream cheese frosting. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I can’t use nuts because it’s for 2 year olds, not getting nuts yet. But I’m sure your cake is absolutely delicious.

49. You are too funny. I would leave you zucchini. And artichokes, too! And, on the rare occasionall morning, apricot scones.

50. Kristin Collins 50

I have been visiting your blog for awhile now but have never commented. I felt like I needed to comment today. I absolutely love your blog. The pictures are spectacular. Keep doing what you do so well! :)

51. Melynda 51

Cake for breakfast? Hmmmm I do that as often as I am able, especially on Sunday. There is just something about Sunday morning, fresh coffee and no one up yet for breakfast, seems like a perfect time for cake.

52. Julie 52

Looks yummy, and sneaky!
    Sometimes I miss working in home health in a rural area…I was quite often the recipient on surplus produce, and glad to help!

53. Noble Pig 53

I know you would.

Now about those scones…I’ll be waiting…

54. Noble Pig 54

Thank you!

I’ve had zuchinni muffins, but never chocolate cake! I love you cake stand too!

My neighbor has a HUGE garden and most days I find a bag of veggies hanging on my fence…I feel so lucky.

This cake is fantastic! Love chocolate and zucchini together.

57. Nuthin’ better for breakfast than chocolate zucchini cake, except maybe another slice. Isn’t it true about Oregon produce? It is amazing. We’re just back in Tucson after a month in Yachats and we’re all in mourning.

58. I will definitely be trying this.
    And if you were on the opposite coast, I would be loading you up with zucchini! I have more than I need!

59. Oh, this looks soooo good! I love zucchini…in any form! I didn’t grow any this year though. I had to move my garden and have a much smaller area and couldn’t fit it in. But on the bright side, my eggplants are are shiny and plump and gorgeous and are going to make the best Eggplant Parmesean ever! Yum!

60. Juliana 60

Zucchini and chocolate cake? Never had it…it look so yummie! Definitely have to try this. Nice pictures!

61. Amber 61

My other mom used to make this when we lived in the country. It was not the same recipe but who cares, they are all good.
    I am trying to catch up slowly. Many issues in my life, but the cup is always half full with room for more.
    I am sorry no one snuck you their extras.

I refer you to the signature line that graces my emails and several other places: “Muffins are for people who don’t have the ‘nads to order cake for breakfast.” (From Kitchen Confidential, the tv show).

‘Nuf said, looks awesome.

63. one belated birthday cake coming up!

64. Michelle 64

Come to my place, I’m in Newberg. Somehow I thought it would be a good idea to have 3 zucchini plants for just my husband and myself, lol. It’s too hot to bake right now and we have hardly any freezer space for shredded zucchini. If we had a car, I’d be driving around looking for empty cars with open windows, lol.

Found your blog through StumbleUpon and have been loving it, especially since you’re a neighbor 😉

65. well…..I do have about 847 little squashes sitting in the garden. This might help use up some of them :)

66. Erin 66

Looks delicious! But I want to know if you would be willing to share where you purchased your lovely wire basket (holding the zucchinis)? I want one to put lemons & lime in.

67. Noble Pig 67

I bought it from a catalog company called Gooseberry Patch a million years ago, however they still might carry it.

68. Jen 68

Can you tell us, whom are in the middle of making this cake, how much milk we need to add! Making it with my 10 yr old son, he loves to bake with me.. thanks

69. Lisa A. 69

I’ve had my doors triple-locked for weeks because of the squash fairies around town. However, this cake looks amazing so I know some of my zukes will be going to a “Noble” cause.

70. Oh yumm! Ye another thing to add to my thighs!

71. Wendy C. 71

this cake is AMAZING! I’ve made it twice. Sooo delish!