Matzo Toffee

If you made the Matzo-Crusted Salmon I posted the other day, now you are faced with many sheets of leftover matzo and no plan.

Well here’s a recipe for Matzo Toffee.  I love this stuff and look forward to it every year.  It’s so easy to make.

However, watch out, it’s completely addicting.

For some reason I have this total urge to make this with rainbow sprinkles.  Has anyone ever done that?

I think the kids would like that better than the nuts.  Thank goodness I have more Matzo.

Let’s make these…

Here’s what you will need:   Matzo sheets, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, good quality chocolate, walnuts and pistachios.

Completely line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and cover with parchment paper.  Line the sheet with matzo, breaking extra pieces to fill in any spaces.

In a heavy saucepan, melt 1 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar together over medium heat.  Stir until the butter is completely melted and beginning to boil.  Continue to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Working quickly, pour the mixture over the matzo, covering it completely with a heatproof spatula.  Place the pan in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover the matzo with 12 ounces of good quality chocolate or chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao).  Place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted.  Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate evenly.

Sprinkle the chocolate immediately with walnuts and pistachios.

When the chocolate is completely dry, break into many fancy looking pieces and hide all of it for yourself.  If you don’t, it will disappear.

It is so delicious with the layer of caramel and then chocolate, not to mention the crunch from the nuts.  Yum.

Matzo Toffee

4-6 sheets of matzo
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces good quality chocolate or chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped pistachios

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat.  Stir until the butter is completely melted and beginning to boil.  Continue to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover the matzo with good quality chocolate or chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao).  Place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted.  Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate evenly.

Sprinkle the chocolate immediately with walnuts and pistachios.

When the chocolate is completely dry, break into many pieces.  Keep in a tightly closed container for up to 5 days.

One Year Ago Today:  Gettin’ Your Crout-On On

1. Rosa 1

That’s something I’ve been meaning to try since a very long time… Your post makes me want to finally have a go during the Easter break! Really scrumptious looking!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Shawn 2

I’m not much for toffee but I have to give you a big gold star for the title of this post! Cracks. Me. Up!

3. deeba 3

Sheer torture to not being able to reach out & grab a shard Cathy! makes me want to lay my hands on matzo even more! Totally yummy!

4. When I find a supermarket selling the matzo ( I looked all over in our usual supermarket to no avail)we can make our salmon and this recipe!Thanks

5. Homemade toffee is a wonderful thing! It looks yummy. I read a recipe the other day for homemade GF matzo … must investigate now OR use another suitable cracker. :-)

Thanks as always, Cathy! Checking out Noble pig is the best way to start my day!

Shirley

My mom does something like this with graham crackers, but I bet the matzo would be even better. I think it would be a bit less… cloying. Heh.

7. These look CRAZY good! I don’t think I have enough “Won’t” power in my soul to make these. I’m sure the whole pan would be a single serving for me! YUM!

8. My grandmother and I use to make this all the time when I was little then there was this huge gap hat I haven’t had it because she passed away, but now I can revive this tradition…just not with pistachios…can’t find them right now.

9. Hilary 9

Hi Cathy .. sounds good .. a simple dish for a fund raising do .. people and kids especially – always seem to love toffee .. and easy wrap in selophane and a nice ribbon .. and away we go on a money making enterprise for charity ..

Good recipe – especially if I get the salmon first!!

Thanks – Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

10. Kim 10

I made this last weekend for the first time. Sheer bliss! I didn’t hide it, because if I ate all of it myself (a definite possibility) I’d have to have somebody roll me back to school on Monday.

11. Come to mama.

12. Shawn 12

Cathy..you totally have to check out the ‘grape’ dog on my blog today. He could be your winery mascot!

13. I had some of this last year for the first time and wanted to eat the whole platter. Your version looks particularly delicious.

14. This is a perfect recipe for me to make with my daughter! She is going to LOVE this!

15. Seriously, I’m closing my eyes — I cannot even know about matzoh with chocolate because I am powerless to resist. As long as matzoh stays within its basic uses (matzoh brei, breading for chicken, kugel, etc.), I’m fine with it and don’t even get cravings… well, except for matzoh with tuna fish, which is a childhood favorite. But chocolate? Oh, it’s just too good….

Looks very interesting and tasty! I do a similar thing with pecans and no chocolate. Really quick and easy to make.

17. I think I’m addicted just from looking at the pics!!

18. Melynda 18

Another ingredient to add to the cupboard. I used panko on the salmon, but these chocolate wonders have to be tried!

19. Candy 19

Love your site! You’ve got an award at my place, come check it out!

20. Biz 20

What a great idea!! I love any kind of toffee – have a great weekend Cathy!

21. Get over here please and cook my Passover meal for me!
    I haven’t even started yet!
    You are so organized!
    That choc matzoh looks off the charts!

22. You are really impressing me. And, you are so busy….it’s a post a day. I need to talk to you sometime to see how you do it. It takes me hours and hours to do one post. Keep the good work coming. Makes me wish we were neighbors.

23. Julia 23

That looks great! Pretty much what I’m making for dessert — with a little strawberry mousse on the side.

24. Donald 24

How clever! I would never have thought to use matzo in this manner, ever.

25. kayola 25

Do not disturb!!!! Toffee fantasy in progress….. OH MY STARS! You have my mouth watering for sweet goodness very early this morning…I ♥ TOFFEE!

26. Happy day! K2’s friend makes saltine toffee at Christmas and I always wondered how she did it! Now I know!

27. What an awesome idea. I’ve been hoarding matzo in the house thinking I’d whip up some matzoh brei when I’m out of ideas/time/money for dinner this week. Now you’re giving me better ideas for it. Can I eat this for dinner?

28. elra 28

This is truly ultra delicious Cathy, I was thinking to make matzo covered chocolate from Arthur Schwartz’s Jewish Home Cooking. But, his only covered with chocolate without any nuts. I might put some nuts in it too. Thanks for the brilliant idea as always.

Have a wonderful Pesach!
    Xoxo,
    elra

29. Louise 29

This is simply beautiful!

Love the two kinds of nuts and beautiful pictures.

31. I made something similar to this only using Saltine crackers. I have to admit…this looks much better than what I made. :)

32. My husband just bought a case of matzo because “it was a great deal.” (!!!) We are making the matzo-crusted salmon for sure…and this is perfect for a couple other boxes!

I’ve never cared for matzoh–between that and not being Jewish of course I never have the stuff. Now I am tempted to get some!

I love eating matzoh with salty butter smeared on it. Yum
    I’ll have to try this crack version.

35. Terry 35

This is regarding the peanut butter and jelly hotwings. My daughter made them last nite and they were very good. Thank you for another recipe in my folder.

36. Elyse 36

I love Matzoh toffee!! Yum. Such a great dessert after Seder, too. Plus, it’s a million times better than those horrible canned macaroons (that sadly, I still eat too many of, despite their bland taste). I need to make some of this toffee now. You’ve gotten me craving it!

37. nancy 37

me, this and a quiet space to enjoy

38. Donalyn 38

We have a similar recipe we like to call Christmas crack. It is evil evil stuff. And – you won the set of magnets in my giveaway – send me your address and I will get them out to ya.

39. GP 39

and along with this night.. that’s what makes this blog different than any other :)

shalom
    gp

40. april 40

I make the same thing with saltines, and now I’ve got my MIL addicted and she makes tons every holiday season. You’re pictures always look great though — I’m pretty sure they taste about the same. :) Yum!

What a great idea!

42. Katrina 42

Love this stuff. I made the saltine crack stuff this past Christmas and put festive sprinkles on it. YUMMY! Great idea to use the matzo crackers.

43. Katrina 43

I made the saltine crack stuff this past Christmas and used some festive sprinkles. YUMMY! What a great idea to use matzo crackers!

44. Donna 44

This looks so delicious. I always get free matzo at the supermarket if you spend over $50.00,, yippee what an incentive. NOW, I know what to do with the stuff.thank you, once again,

45. I should get some matzo just to make this twist on toffee….this does look addicting too! great post and idea…. I think the rainbow sprinkles would do it a fine justice…

although i haven’t made this stuff with matzo, i’m sure it’s just delightful. the pistachios and walnuts are a great touch too. deliciously done.

47. Love this recipe. I’ve made it with saltines and graham crackers but never matzo.

48. I meant to ask you if you have met Kathleen at Good Stuff NW yet? She’s a Portland blogger who has all the up to the minute info on what’s happening in the great Portland area: food, wine, outdoor activities, farms, farmers markets, etc. I rely on her to keep me up on things. http://goodstuffnw.blogspot.com

49. Nicole 49

Addicting???? Uh… yeah! I would say so. All that chocolate and nuts and caramel. I would probably eat the whole sheet myself!

50. melissa 50

I never eaten Matzo anything. Now would be a good time.

51. This looks amazing, I’ve heard people mention this time and time again but never actually seen a recipe. I think I need to head down to the Supermarket for some ingredients :D

52. Claudia 52

Love toffee. Love matzoh. Never (ever) would’ve thought to put it together and it looks scrumptious.

53. lo 53

Oh, yum. I’m a sucker for toffee… though I’ve never tried it with matzoh. Definitely have to try this out!!

The matzoh salmon also looks fantastic.

54. Debbie 54

That is an abolutely fantastic idea…..and to think my aunt always thought of matzo’s as a diet food!!!

55. Erin from long island 55

i made something like this last year, using only melted chocolate. it was a bit too much for me…it took soo long to make and to eat it all since i only ate a little at a time. i think i will stick to warmed nutella from now on, much easier and less messy!

i hope those nuts are salmonella free!!!!

56. annbb 56

Made this with saltines – bet it’s even better with matzo!

57. Lisa 57

What a great idea. Just a little twist on the saltine thing. I like the even texture. I know it can’t help but be good!

58. Good Lord that looks evil (in a really good way). And YES, the rainbow sprinkles are a great idea :)

59. Lori 59

Oh wow, these look so good! Chocolate with two of my favorite nuts, watch out!

60. YUM!!!!!

61. Love these. Only had them on saltines before, so why not matzo?

62. linda 62

Ok, this recipe looked so good, I just made it. Weird occurance- the chocolate chips never melted, even after 10 minutes in the 350 oven…Used regular nestles chips, I’m stumped and determined. trying again tomorrow.
    LS

Regular chocolate chips, which are lower quality chocolate, are meant to keep their shape. The recipe indicates to use better chocolate chips like ghiradelli or other high quality chocolate.

64. megan 64

Your pictures are just beautiful. Can I come over for a quick lesson??? Photography and cooking lesson. Maybe it wont be quite so quick, can I? can I??? :)
    I’ve made this with both saltines and graham crackers and it is addicting. Such a smart idea to use the matzo.

65. I’m admiring your food photography.

The use of Matzo is such a creative idea to make sweets. Thanks for sharing

66. Jamie 66

I’m a huge fan of your blog! I made the matzo toffee crunch yesterday to bring to my friend’s passover dinner and it was a HUGE hit!
    Thank you for your wonderful recipes and pictures!

67. Jamie 67

Wow! This looks delicious and sinful! What a treat and a great way to get through the 8 days of Passover!

68. Howard 68

I tried this out this past Sunday. Ended up making two batches because it was so easy and fun (and well, let’s face it…I have a sweet tooth). Came out absolutely awesome. Everyone who has tried it has loved it.

Thanks for the great recipe. The post was very enjoyable to read with those great pictures going along with it.