Maple Pan Roasted Carrots

We know the Easter Bunny loves candy, so these must be hidden.

I love rustic when it comes to carrots.  I think these fall into that particular category.

And I promise you, they taste like candy, which is my favorite way to eat veggies.  Grace your holiday table with these Maple Pan-Roasted Carrots and everyone will be begging for more.  I’m always amazed at how such few and simple ingredients can really elevate a dish.

May I suggest a main course to eat with these carrots?  My Baked Ham with Rum and Coke Glaze, this particular post includes a Ham 101 tutorial, focusing on what to buy when purchasing a ham.  Don’t buy a spiral-pre-sliced ham!

Anyway, the carrots are to die for.  You won’t be disappointed.

Let’s make them up…

Here’s all you will need:  Carrots, extra-virgin olive oil, pure maple syrup, kosher or sea salt, freshly ground pepper.

For this recipe, baby carrots are ideal, but using mature carrots will be fine if you cut them down to size.

Peel 1 pound carrots, leaving their stems on.  Trim stems to about 1/2-inch.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet or sauté pan, heat 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over high heat (the oil shouldn’t smoke but should crackle when you add the carrots).  Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until they blister and turn golden brown in spots, 2-3 minutes.

Add 1 Tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, tossing well to coat the carrots.  Remove from heat.

Spread the carrots evenly in the skillet and transfer it to the hot oven.  Roast until the carrots are tender, browned in spots and just a little shriveled, 12-15 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.

You’ll have to hide these from kids too, they will eat them before dinner even begins.

Very yummy.

I love the blistering-browned edges of the carrots.

Maple Pan-Roasted Baby Carrots
Adapted from Fine Cooking

1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound carrots with their tops on, preferably baby carrots, peeled and stems trimmed to about 1/2 inch
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt; more as needed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper; more as needed

Peel carrots, leaving their stems on. Trim stems to about 1/2-inch.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large 12-inch  ovenproof skillet or sauté pan, heat oil over high heat (the oil shouldn’t smoke but should crackle when you add the carrots).  Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until they blister and turn golden brown in spots, 2-3 minutes.

Add maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, tossing well to coat the carrots.  Remove from heat.

One Year Ago Today:  I Have a Conundrum

1. I’m always looking for more carrot recipes and I love all the ingredients! Okay, adding carrots to the grocery list … I’ve got everything else. :-) Beautiful, healthy, and way yummy, I am sure.

Thanks, Cathy!
    Shirley

2. I could never get tired of carrots…never. And this looks like another fabulous recipe to add to my already burgeoning collection. I was going to make steamed garlic carrots to go with the prime rib I’m making for Easter dinner, but I think these sound much much better!

3. These do sound like they would come outr sweet and delicious Cathy.

4. Donna 4

Looks like a fantaastic way to make carrots!! Love the idea of maple syrup with them.. yum!

5. Cheryl 5

Roasted sweet veggies…THAT makes one of the daily 5 servings FAR more bearable! ‘) (I’ll make extra to share with the Big Bunny…)

6. I have a recipe very similar to this, only it is called Honey Glazed Carrots. Every time I make them they disappear in a second.

And you’re right…these would go very well with that ham recipe of yours. We made that last Easter and my husband wants to make it again.

7. Mmmm, love these!

8. We have one carrot hater here, I won’t say his name; but these would be great and I will enjoy the leftovers. Thanks.

9. OK–I want those! And the ham too–rum and Coke? OMG!!

10. How beautiful they look served whole like that with a little green showing. I’ll have to try them.

11. You’ve just given me another way to love carrots!

12. Jeff 13

I would use the carrots to lure that Easter bunny to my house. Still have some words I have to exchange with him for hiding my Easter baskets in unreachable locations (no 8 year old should have to get a ladder out to retrieve his basket).

Looks awesome!

13. Mary 14

What a beautiful additional to any spring menu. Thanks, Cathy.

14. imom 15

I love cooked carrots and these look extra special!!!

15. Lara 16

I’m not usually much of a carrot fan, but these look intriguing! I may have to try them!

Those look unreal. And rum and coke glazed ham?! Are you a sorcerer? That’s one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard of!

17. Lisa D 18

This is exactly the sort of recipe I was going to look for to go with the ham for Easter.

Thanks!

18. Brooke 19

Those little carrots with their green tops make me want to both read Beatrix Potter and take a hot tub with maple syrup all at the same time. Would there be anything wrong with said combination?

Because I’m seriously digging the idea. (AND your recipe! So making these on Sunday!)

And…THANK YOU for your nice comment. It was so good of you to pop by my blog. Do stop by anytime. It’s a treat to share space with fellow foodies.

19. Brooke 20

After reading this (and ogling your photos) I’m entirely desiring a good long soak in a hot tub filled to the brim with maple syrup, while reading Beatrix Potter. Do you see anything wrong with such a plan?

SUCH a beautiful post!

And…thank you for stopping by my blog! It was so good of you to come by, and always such a delight to have a fellow foodie along for a hello.

Happy Thursday!

20. Maureen 21

Mmmm…I just roasted my little baby red carrots from the Farmer’s Market last night. Too bad I didn’t see this first, maple syrup would have been magnificent on them. will keep in mind for next batch!

21. We’re in charge of making a ham this year for someone, so it’s nice to see these tips for selecting and carving. We’ve got some ham searching to do!

OMG this sounds delicious. I’ll have to hide them from myself!

I LOVE roasting veggies – I will definitely be trying this recipe out. Excellent photos (as ususal).

24. Carrots are one of my favorite veggies, and I love them roasted. Can’t wait for the young, just out of the ground carrots appear at the farmer’s market. This is the perfect way to prepare them.

Yum. Thanks for sharing, again.

26. Louise 27

mmmm, a bit of roasting and a bit of sweet. Lovely balance!

I usually glaze carrots with brown sugar and butter. This sounds like a nice change. I adore carrots in any format!

28. That recipe is similar to mine except that I use butter instead of oil. We love it, so good.

29. Gwen 30

Mmm! Thanks for sharing. Those look delicious. I have a question, too. Where do you find cheap inexpensive cookware?

30. I am a huge believer in roasting all vegetables, and I know these are absolutely as good as they look. Yum!

I wonder how many other vegetables would taste good with maple?
    I bet lots!

32. The Cookie Stealing Bunny might even want those!

33. Hilary 34

Delicious looking carrots … they’d be really good as snacks too … or on the bbq

Great idea –
    Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

34. KAYOLA 35

oh my goodness….I ♥ carrots….and I love your little dish you are pouring from…everything you do is just top notch….amzing…can’t wait to try these…they saound de-lish!

35. How great! I love to incorporate maple flavors into holiday dishes – goes so well with sweet carrots. (P.S. You’re going to laugh when you see my next post on the “new” blog – great minds think alike :-))

36. OK, these are a for sure.

37. elra 38

Glad that you just ask to hide them from the bunnies, not from me.

Oh this must be heavenly sweet tasting carrots.
    Cheers,
    elra

38. tipper 39

Looks so yummy and perfect for Easter!

39. Laurie 40

Those carrots do look like candy! Actually even better.

Looking at the photos of your spring flowers was the best moment of my day yesterday. Thank you for sharing all your photos! I love the new house in all it’s retro charm.

40. Elyse 41

These carrots look amazing! This is how I love my carrots. By the way, my mom made your Matzo Salmon for her Passover Seder (to mix things up a bit), and she said it was a HUGE hit, that it was absolutely delicious. Now, I’m going to have to make it!! Thanks for sharing the recipe with her :)

41. Oh yum! I am making your baked ham and now I think I have to add these along with my roasted brussels sprouts and mashed turnips…never can have too many veggies!

42. As always, your photos just leap off the computer at me!

They do look like candy-maybe if I tell myself they are ‘candy’ carrots, I’d eat more than I do now?

The color on those carrots is phenomenal!

44. Nicole 45

You know, I do not care much for cooked carrots. BUT my grandmother makes good ones and these seem similar to hers but much more physically attractive! I think I could love these.

45. Ummmmm. Tasty looking. I might forgo chocolate for these. Well, maybe just one bunny ear, but only if I eat all my carrots! :)

46. I love carrots & yet rarely make them. Why is that?
    these look simple & yummy.
    Must try!!!!

47. Great side dish for Steak!

48. lo 49

Very nice. I’ll tell you… my favorite part of baby carrots are their lovely green tops. I wish all of my roasted carrots could be so attractive :)

49. Dragon 50

You should really hide them from me! Yum!

Hmmm I wonder if hubby would eat these? Who cares! I would!
    Happy Easter Cathy! Have a wonderful weekend.

51. Carrots can never be too sweet. Yum!

52. Lori 53

I love those long skinny carrots, and your preparation…looks so delicious!

Oh funny! I went looking for your ham tutorial earlier this morning before running to the grocery store!

54. Jaime 55

Those look perfectly delicious.

55. Katie 56

Christmas last year was the first time I roasted whole carrots and I must say, I prefer them to chopped carrots. There’s just something about the look of them after they’ve been cooked that is just absolutely mouth-watering!

56. These look fabulous and your recipes all look so yummy. You’re going to make me get fat!!
    I’m a caterer and am always looking for something new and delicious and this site is going to be a favorite :)
    Have a blessed Easter and…..

Steady On
    Reggie Girl

57. Lisa 58

Mmmmm! Those are beautiful and I’m sure they are tasty too. I have to try them!

58. Amber 59

I have caught up with a lot of your posts tonight. Wow, didn’t realize you were moving so soon. Will the Wild Boar work in Oregon, commute, or become your slave?
    I love cooked carrots if they are done right. Most people grew up with canned ones, ewww. I usually make a butter, dijon, brown sugar glaze but maple is very tempting. You kill me with your photos, they are always amazing.
    Also in your last post ‘In the yard’ the 3rd photo, the big piece of moss looks like a bunny. Very appropriate.
    Have a wonderful Easter and/or passover. I am not very good at Jewish holidays, my apologies.

59. cybill 60

Wow, I’m printing this recipe out – if I can get my kids to eat carrots with this recipe I will be one happy cook.

mmm. maple goodness. i’d have to hide these from the easter bunny and everyone else within smelling distance. :)

I am so making these to go with our Cornish hens tonight! I just bought some maple syrup last week & can hardly wait…

62. Jude 63

One of my favorite carrot recipes involve braising with a bit of sugared liquid until shriveled. Sounds so much better with maple syrup!

63. Forget about hiding these from the Easter Bunny, you’ll have to hide them from me!

64. We love baby carrots with maple syrup! Such gorgeous pictures!

65. Those look amazing!!!