Green Salad with Smoky Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

I know, it looks like nothing but some greens with some dressing right?  Looks can be deceiving.

You see I love Ranch dressing but lately I’ve become a little bored with it.  So when I saw a recipe for a Smoky Buttermilk Ranch Dressing I had no choice but to try it.  I changed it up a bit and the result is a very “smoky” flavored dressing pleasing to the palate.  It’s good.

The smoky flavor comes from the addition of smoked paprika.  If you have never tried smoked paprika in your recipes you should really look into adding it to your pantry.  My regular grocery store carries it in the spice aisle, on the bottom shelf.  However, you can get it online too, I’m sure Penzy’s has a good one.

This salad would be great with anything grilled or right out of the oven.  I think you’ll like it.

Let’s make this together…

Here’s what you will need:  Garlic, mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, flat-leaf parsley, fresh chives, green onion, white wine vinegar, smoked paprika, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce.  Ingredients not shown: Black pepper and salt.

Place 2 cloves garlic on a cutting board and use the side of a wide knife to smash.  Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt on garlic.

Use a fork to mash the garlic and salt into a paste.

In a medium sized bowl whisk together, garlic paste, 1 cup buttermilk, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sour cream, 2 Tablespoons parsley, 2 Tablespoons chives, green onion, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  Season to taste with salt.

Use any variety lettuce and tear into pieces.  (I used romaine and red leaf.)  Slice onions and tomatoes to your liking.  I think crumbled bacon would be good too ( and maybe avocado).

Serve the dressing on the side…

Or pour it right on top.  It’s yummy.

Green Salad with Smoky Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Inspired by Better Homes & Gardens

2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Salt
Variety of lettuce, torn.  (I used romaine and red leaf)
Tomatoes
Red onion, thinly sliced

Place garlic on a cutting board and use the side of a wide knife to smash.  Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt on garlic.  Use a fork to mash the garlic and salt into a paste.

In a medium sized bowl whisk together, garlic paste, buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, green onion, vinegar, smoked paprika and black pepper.  Season to taste with salt.

Use any variety lettuce and tear into pieces.  I used romaine and red leaf.  Slice onions and tomatoes to your liking.  I think crumbled bacon would be good too (and maybe avocado).

What I Was Laughing About One Year Ago Today:  Coffin Delivery

1. I was just thinking about salads and shopping for the weekend meals and voila! you magically appear in my Google reader with a salad dressing recipe just perfect for me. And I actually have most of the ingredients for the dressing ….just need to get the fresh veggies. How do you do that? ( read my mind ? )must be the name.

2. You never, EVER, disappoint me!!! EVER, I say.

I am so excited…send me that vinegar bottle when you are done with it…I kinda like it…alot.

Time to put smoked paprika on my grocery list! Looks great!

4. These pictures say “fresh” and “delicious” over and over. Just picked up some salad greens, tomatoes, etc. yesterday for a luncheon and have plenty leftover for this weekend, but no red onions (and I love those). Plus, I don’t have any smoked paprika. Back to the store I go later. :-)

Thanks!
    Shirley

5. Debi 5

LOVE smoke Spanish paprika. http://www.latienda.com is a great resource for Spanish ingredients. Chipotle chile powder would add a nice smoky kick to this dressing as an alternative.
    Yum! Pretty photo.

6. I agree with Marlene up there, you do not dissappoint, EVER! Have got to add this dressing to my list. I so enjoy homemadedressing , and your salad looks phenomenal!

7. I love the color that the paprika gives to the dressing. I have never made dressing from scratch, other than a vinaigrette, but that sounds like even I could handle. I have some fresh greens in the fridge now :)

8. Hilary 8

Great recipe for a salad .. my everyday lunch .. so I’ll give the dressing a go .. definitely a good idea.

Thanks again ..for a great weekend recipe salad idea & the excellent pics ..easy to follow ..

Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

9. Lori 9

I love ranch dressing, and this version sounds so good! I am definitely bookmarking this one!

10. Julia 10

Oh, I love anything smoked! And ranch, how could you go wrong. Looks great!

11. I’ll have to try this one.
    I love the Ranch you get in restaurants, but cannot find it in a store bought bottles.
    I have been looking for a homemade recipe. Thank you!

12. Alright…I love ranch dressing on ANYTHING, but this recipe looks amazing. Plus…I love that little bowl you have the dressing in! Where did you get that? It’s so awesome!

I don’t know if can find the smoky paprika or not, but I imagine that lends a lot to the flavor of that salad dressing. I will look for it and try it. I may have to settle for some smoked grated cheese on the salad to give it the smoky flavor. In any event, you have not tempted my taste buds for a smoky tasting salad. Thanks.

I meant to say you have NOW tempted my taste buds! Sorry!

15. This is something I simply must make right away! We are huge fans of ranch dressing and I always always have smoked paprika on hand. The smoky flavor sounds perfect!

16. Melynda 16

Looks great, I am always looking for more dressing recipes.

17. I could eat mud with smoked paprika on it! This looks wonderful!

18. imom 18

I have never seen a recipe for a dressing made from scratch. Wonderful! It looks so good. Now I’m hungry for a salad!

19. Smoked paprika is the best! But I’ve only used it in soups… it would have never occured to me to put it in ranch! Yum!

20. I’m all for that smoky flavor. Yum YUM!

21. I could eat ranch on anything! Really, as a kid I used to dunk grapes in it. Eww – I can’t believe I did that. I still love it so much that I can’t keep it around the house or else I would be the size of a house!

22. Rindy R 22

I LOVE smokey flavors – and with a half used buttermilk container in my fridge right now – you better believe I am going to make this!
    Thanks for sharing!

23. Mmmmm–that looks and sounds so good! I love the idea of smokiness in the Ranch!

24. Laurie 24

Your dressing sounds wonderful! I didn’t know smoked paprika was a separate thing you could buy. I always thought you took paprika and “smoked” it in a pan for a few minutes. LOL. Now I will look for this product because I can see how it would be good for so many dishes.

25. Joni-MI 25

OH does that EVER look good!I can’t wait to make that! I’ve got all the ingredients and I think that will be on the supper table.

I like Ranch dressing, too. Lately I’ve been making my own salad dressings – I don’t know why – so this looks like a nice addition to my repertoire.

27. LilSis 27

Thanks so much! I am also quite bored with the same dressings. My family will be thrilled to have something different.

I need to place a Penzy’s order online since I don’t have a store nearby. I’ll be adding Smoked Paprika to my list. I can’t wait to try it!

28. Mmmmm. I’ve been wanting a new salad dressing and this looks like it’s the one! Thanks!

29. Tipper 29

The dressing sounds interesting-and yummy!

Yum! That salad looks utterly delicious!

31. YUM! I can’t wait to try this. I’m so over the Hidden Valley crap in a bottle.

32. My mouth started watering when I saw that salad!

33. You know when your winery is going it needs to have a restaurant. I mean really girl, it’s just endless with you. I am sure the Wild Boar was thrilled with this one.

34. WOW now that is a salad and that dressing over the top!! Need to update my shopping list !!

35. Sandie 35

I’ve gotten back into salads recently. Can you say, “Swimsuit season fast approaches?!”

That curvaceous bottle of white vinegar puts my cruddy, regular bottle to sham. Should all white vinegar bottles be created equal? 😉

36. Sandie 36

Ignore my typos (should is supposed to equal shouldn’t)…blame it on vinegar envy…

37. Julie 37

Looks insanely good!

38. mmmm, smoked paprika. I bet that adds an awesome flavor to this dressing. This salad looks fresh and delicious!

39. Mary 39

Love this! I’m still on a honeymoon with smoked paprika. I probably way overuse it, but you’ve just given a reason for yet another excess.

40. This is a welcome twist with the dressing Cathy.

41. Dana 41

I love ranch dressing but just can’t enjoy it because I know how fattening it is. I will try this recipe with low fat mayo and sour cream and see how it turns out. I LOVE smoked paprika!

42. Those pictures are wonderful. The recipe looks delicious!

43. Sheila 43

I have never heard of smoked paprika, but I am certain I can find it. I think what really sealed the deal was the fresh chives with sour cream. I usually use buttermilk and parsley in our ranch; yours sounds fresh and delicious!

44. Linda 44

It’s amazing how satisfying a salad can be. This one looks great. I’ll have to add smoked paprika to my spice shelf for sure.

Sorry I missed your discussion on getting a juicer. I’m sure you have plenty of responses and I’m probably repeating someone else’s comments.
    But … if you just want to juice citrus, I recommend the OrangeX Juicer. It’s just a manual press. I got mine at Williams-Sonoma about 6 years ago for about $80. Worth every penny … I love it.

One of those machine whirling type juicers is kind of a pain with citrus because you have to peel the fruit first. I have the Jack Lalanne Juicer and use it for stuff like veggie and apple juice, not citrus. But it is also a pain to clean. Yet it’s great for making healing juice concoctions and for doing a good cleansing juice routine. Which I do about twice a year.

Good luck!

Now that’s my kind of ranch! I can’t wait to make this.

46. annbb 46

That sounds good! We’re big Ranch fans here – I’ll have to try this!

47. I’ve never made my own salad dressing before! I’m impressed!

48. kayola 48

yummmmm…I was craving a salad right about now….this looks awesome….I will get some smoked paprika…seriously I was craving some veggies and thinking about going over to Subway and gettin’ me a 5$ footlong…but I have changed my mind…I’m makin’ a salad…you’re awesome!

49. elra 49

Wow, that really look delicious. I wish I can smell and taste the smokiness of this dressing. And yes, adding bacon make this salad a perfect heaven to me.
    Cheers,
    elra

50. I love smoked paprika so this recipe has my name on it. Simple, but it packs a flavor punch.

51. Brian 51

I haven’t used smoked paprika before. This sounds like a great dressing to try out.
    Thanks.

52. Homemade dressings are always better than those ones from the store. I’m always looking for new ideas to dress my salads with…creamy ones are my favourite. Yum!

53. Kerstin 53

I love buttermilk and smoked paprika – this looks so yummy and refreshing!

54. Biz 54

I am so stealing this recipe from you!

55. Steve 55

Nice post!

Would you like a link exchange with our blog COMMON CENTS? Check us out, I think you’ll like it!!

This looks excellent. Must get some ingredients.

That looks absolutely divine. Your pictures are always so amazing. Apparently, you don’t have the crappy lighting we do (with those stupid bulbs the government has mandated that we use).

The again, it might be the fact that your camera is not the cheap Olympus Stylus, like mine.

I also make a Dill Dressing the hubster loves. Mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, dill weed, and salt & pepper, all to taste.

58. Donalyn 58

Oh golly – does that look like springtime or what? Yum!

59. Elyse 59

This ranch dressing sounds amazing!! Did you know that ranch can go on everything? Salad, pizza, pasta, bread, veggies, tomato soup…I know, I know, it sounds excessive, but ranch is oh-so good!

60. Starred! I’m always looking for new salad dressing. My salad options are far over-used.

61. The test of a good Chinese restaurant: do members of the Chinese and/or Jewish community eat there?

62. megan 62

A great new option for my spring salads. It looks delicious!

I am always looking for good dressing recipes because although I use small amounts they are what makes a salad, well a good salad. I can’t wait to try this.

Oh no, another spice to add to my list.

65. lo 65

How did you know I was craving salad? YUM.

I’m a bit fan of smoked paprika, but haven’t tried it in salad dressing yet. Nice idea.

66. ashley 66

can’t wait to try this!!

67. I always enjoy my visit on your blog. I want to make everything. Beautiful salad.

68. I love smoky stuff…. smoked paprika is no exception! I’ll definitely have to give this a try!

69. Sophie 69

MMMMMMM….This salad looks superb!!!

70. HI Stranger!!!

link to blissfullydomestic.com

I had to.. it’s just too delish! THANK YOU!

71. Its incredible and so easy! you just use 3/4 cup bread crumbs and mix it with 2 Tbsps of the seasoning. use a little olive oil so that the coating sticks to the chicken, coat the chicken and put it in the oven for 40 minutes at 350, flipping at 20… its awesome. plus it goes with any side. I normally do mashed potato’s and fresh green beans.

72. Mo Batali 72

I was ready to put dinner on the table when I saw this recipe….ran to the store just to buy the ingredients for this dressing including a bit of pancetta to fry up and sprinkle on top….oh.my.lord….so good. Next time I’ll crisp up some finely cubed Palacios chorizo and sprinkle some chopped marconas on top to really give it a Spanish flair….epically yummy!!!