Roasted Salmon with a Lemon-Herb Matzo Crust

I love salmon.  I probably eat entirely too much of it.

But what I love about salmon are the possibilities available to turn this simple fish into so many different amazing dishes.

Salmon's blank canvas allows for everything from rich, heavy cream sauces to light and lemony bases to enhance its taste.

When I came across this recipe for Roasted Salmon with a Lemon-Herb Matzo Crust, I thought, how perfect for this time of year, matzo is everywhere.  If you have never had matzo, it's time to pick out a box.

It's basically a giant unleavened cracker and is quite enjoyable when slathered with butter...
yes, I eat it this way...it's supposed to replace bread...so why not.

Anyway, the crust on this fish is to die for, so full of flavor with the herbs, lemon and butter.  I highly recommend this dish for any night of the week.  It's high on the yum factor.

Here's what you will need:  Salmon fillets, matzo sheets, flat-leaf parsley, fresh thyme, lemon peel and juice, grainy mustard, extra-virgin olive oil and butter.  Ingredients not shown:  Salt and pepper.

Using a food processor (or a rolling pin and a ziploc bag)  finely grind 2 sheets of matzo.

Finely chop 3 Tablespoons fresh thyme and 3 Tablespoons flat-leaf parsley.  The peel of one lemon, finely chopped, and oneTablespoon of lemon juice are also needed.

salt and pepper.

Stir in olive oil and melted butter.

Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper.

Out of the oven, here's how it should look.  Squeeze lemon over it before serving.

The crunchy top contrasts with the texture of the fish nicely.

It's perfect for a Passover Seder or Easter.

Enjoy your meal.

Roasted Salmon with Lemon-Herb Matzo Crust
Adapted from Rachael Ray

Six 1-inch thick center-cut salmon fillets (4-6 ounces each), skinned
2 sheets matzo, finely ground
3 Tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
Grated peel of 1 lemon, plus 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, plus more for garnish
1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 Tablespoons butter, melted

Using a food processor (or a rolling pin and a ziploc bag)  finely grind matzo.

In a medium bowl, combine ground matzo, parsley, thyme, lemon peel, lemon juice and grainy mustard.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in olive oil and melted butter.

Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper.  Cover the top of each salmon fillet completely with the matzo mixture, pressing to adhere.  Roast the salmon in a 425 degree oven until the salmon is just cooked through but still translucent in the center, about 10 minutes.

Squeeze lemon over it before serving.

What I Was Blogging About One Year Ago Today:
A Day in Dundee Hills

1. Diane 1

We’ve got a new salmon product being advertised here in the UK. Salmon fish fingers. For those who don’t know, fish fingers are small oblongs of white fish fried in breadcrumbs served usually with tomato sauce, sold frozen and loved by virtually everyone. They’re one of the most popular ways of eating fish in the UK. However they’re normally made with cod and that’s got really expensive, so they’re trying salmon ones out. I’ve not tried them yet, but I’ve hovered by the freozen food freezer and been tempted to try them.
    Salmon’s really nice, but I can’t imagine it in a little breadcrumbed package!

2. Shawn 2

You have no idea how much I wish I could get fresh salmon here. Being in a landlocked state definitely has some disadvantages. Great beef, terrible fish.

3. Rosa 3

A beautiful recipe and presentation! Really appetizing!

Cheers,

Rosa

4. You can’t eat too much salmon! My husband has been making Sunday our day to have salmon, so I have begun calling that day of the week, ‘Salmon Sunday’, and it is a good day indeed. I think this will be how we prepare our salmon this Sunday.

5. These pictures are beautiful. Salmon is not my fave, but you make it look very appealing. Sure can’t beat the gorgeous color and the way it photograhs!

6. No matzo for me, but those are some mouthwatering pictures. You can not eat too much salmon. I call it brain food. I just made a wonderful recipe the other day and I was eating salmon for every meal afterwards and loving it!

Shirley

7. I am all about the big sheet of Matzo with butter all over it! My kids love that too! This salmon looks ridiculously good and your photos are beautiful. You have inspired me to read the directions on my computer photo package.

8. Marlene + Matzo Crackers = LOVE

9. Debbie 10

You can NEVER eat too much salmon. I love it too. Very nice and different recipe. This is a keeper!

10. deeba 11

Torture reading about everybodys love for Matzo when it’s not even heard of here. It’s a beautiful crust there Cathy, & pictures that sing a song of freshness & flavour in every frame. Delish!!

11. Gosh that is indeed high on the yum factor!

12. Donna 13

Absolutely delicious! Rachael Ray has some good ones sometimes! Love your adaptations!!

Looks sensational! I cannot wait to try something new like that with salmon. Sometimes just plain cooked salmon gets boring. Great job. Thanks.

14. This looks great. I just made chicken crusted with matzo and it was great, so I know I would love this too.

15. What a creative idea to make this matzo crust! This would be a wonderful Passover dish! I love the lemon flavors in the crust too!

16. I don’t care for fish (I know…I’m so bad) but this looks really tasty. I love how you put some of those pictures together in a collage. Very nice!

17. Cath,
    Thanks for the great Passover recipe!
    I always make chicken marbella from the Silver Palate book, but this yr I think I will do the salmon w/ matzoh crust for the fish eaters!

18. Looks beautiful. We’re having salmon tonight. Never thought of just putting a top on (and not whole thing). Nice pictures. Well done.

19. Melynda 20

Yum, I have some wild salmon in the freezer. This is how I will fix it. Thanks.

20. Beautiful.

21. This looks awesome! Wow!

22. I love matzoh slathered with sweet cream butter, or tuna salad, or hummus. And I probably eat way too much salmon, too. Nice way to combine the two, and to use some of those sheets of matzoh that are always left in the box after the requisite batch of matzoh brei every year.

23. Marcy 24

Oh wow – that looks yummy. I too eat Salmon – but mainly in patty form!
    I make it healthy though – I also cut down and boil an eggplant – then mix that in with the salmon – along with egg, minced onion, and a hint of garlic powder and about sleeve and half of crackers. The patties come out thick and flavorful!

24. Wow, a knockout salmon dish. Love the crust. We are on the same page today.

Enjoyed your post of a year ago. I went to all 3 wineries for tastings on Valentine’s Day. They are practically in my backyard.

25. Wow, it ALMOST makes me want to eat some salmon…ALMOST. Not a seafood person, but that does look yummy!

26. Looks amazing! Never done anything with Matzo – looks like something I definitely will try – maybe with the tilapia that’s in my fridge…. I am sure it would do perfectly with the tilapia too! thanks for sharing, as always, such wonderful ideas for our meals.

27. I think Jon would love this!

28. nina 29

Who says you cannot have matzos with butter????? I like all the flavors you have used….I do not like a creamy sauce with salmon…..the fish is just too good!!!

29. OK I submit. I am going to “try” this because despite it being fish, and despite my utter hatred of all things sea/water-going, I LOVE Matzos and this looks so good.

30. Claire 31

I really need to try getting into salmon. It’s just too good for you! Keep posting stuff like this, & you just might push me over the edge. (Which means it looks fabulous!)

31. Sheila 32

Oh, this looks so fresh and delicious for spring. The lemon and herbs call to me and salmon is my new favorite meat!

Your pictures are absolutely stunning. Wow, I wish I could take a picture like that.

What a great idea for Passover and Easter…it’s exquisite.

33. Daziano 34

I totally agree! Salmon is such a versatile fish!

34. imom 35

There is no such thing as eating too much salmon! That recipe looks amazing. I love how you use your photos to enhance the whole experience.

35. I’m a huge fan of roasted salmon, as I find it a little to easy to under/over cook on the on the stove top. I’m printing this sucker out right now! Thanks!

36. Mary 37

Salmon has to be one of the prettiest foods in the food chain. I’m not crazy about farm raised salmon – I find it fatty tasting – but I love wild salmon. It can’t be beat.

37. Maureen 38

Funny, I just saw a recipe somewhat similar to this one for salmon somewhere. I eat SO much salmon, and for some reason have never prepared it with a crumb type topping. It looks spectacular…I’m printing it out to make in the next week. Thanks!

It is my understanding that if I ever ate salmon out where your vineyard will be, in the northwest, I would change my mind–but until then I have just never learned to like the stuff. :) Looks gorgeous though.

39. Elyse 40

Passover is my favorite time of year! I love the idea of incorporating matzoh into recipes where you’d least expect it. This salmon looks fabulous (I probably eat too much, too). I can’t wait to try out your recipe! And, of course, I have to email this to my mom: the quintessential Jewish mother.

40. elra 41

I must say, WOW! Looks so delicious.
    Cheers,
    elra

41. I love Salmon and this looks absolutely fabulous! I’ve been sick for a long while so I have a lot of catching up to do on your blog!

I haven’t had salmon since I was a teenager, I’ll have to give it a shot again. I do love matzo though, I need to make some matzo balls.

43. That photo of all the ingredients in the white bowl is fantastic. I would say it’s frame-worthy, actually! Thanks for sharing this nice alternative to the typical toppings (e.g. lemon and dill or maple-balsamic glaze).

44. Steph 45

I love salmon and eat way too much of it too! Part of the reason is because fish is not filling. I don’t konw what makes me full anymore except for pigging out on desserts adn then falling into a sugar coma..haha

45. phillygirl64 46

Mmmmm…matzoh and butter…and I’m not even Jewish!

46. I swear I commented already but the computer was rude enough to tell me I wasn’t allowed. I mean, really.

I was just slobbering anyway.

47. Perfect, perfect, perfect for passover. I am definitely going to make this. Love salmon, too, but frankly have stopped eating it as much since most of it is farmed.

48. Agreed! Salmon is an easy peasy fix and you can make it oh so fancy without a lot of hard work. Too bad we’re not having this for dinner tonight. :)

49. Kathryn 50

OK I love the mixture and esp the matzo which makes it accessible for Jewish friends during passover. That said, I will probably adapt the recipe to use Jacques Pepin’s 200 degree oven for 30-45 minutes technique. It’s just so much more relaxed for getting dinner on the table and the fish is always perfectly done.

50. tipper 51

Looks so YUM!

51. Lisa 52

Salmon is the best! Do you really think you can eat too much of it?

52. Arlette 53

nice looking salmon, looks very delicious… thanks for sharing

53. Rebel 54

Mmmmm, this sounds really good, I’ll have to give it a try. We eat a lot of Salmon, well, maybe not a lot but at least once a week. Soooo good for us.
    Thanks for the new Salmon recipe.

54. Chuck 55

Cathy, I can’t wait to give this a try on my new BBQ!! My brother In-law goes Salmon fishing every year and comes home with a ton or two. I’ll let you know how it goes.

55. Cathy, I’m beginning to believe the wild boar and dos hooligans, are luckiest diners in California. What an amazing daily menu they must enjoy. This Mother’s Day I think you deserve gold bouillon. Somehow my leftover enchilada casserole is not looking so fresh. Um mm, salmon.

56. kayola 57

Can you just adopt me? Seriously…pleeeeeease? Everything you do is beautiful and looks so yummy!!!

We are so having this for dinner tonight! I must have been Jewish in another life because I love kosher foods… especially Matzo. Now I’m a Salmon Ho as well as a Potato Ho, so perhaps I should just suffice it to say I’m a Food Ho all the way around.

This is a wonderfully unique recipe. Bravo! I can hardly wait to serve this to Mr. Snoots.

The pictures look like the salmon was cooked to perfection, which is difficult to get in a restaurant in my neck of the woods because they always overcook it. They just don’t understand when I order salmon cooked medium rare, so we only have salmon at home.

On another note… No, you can’t have my crystal, lol.

Gorgeous dish! The matzo crust look really great. I love trying new ways to prepare salmon so thanks for the recipe:)

59. Gosh that looks good! Will add it to my salmon repertoire. We’ve been doing too much salmon with peanut sauce. Don’t really need all that extra fat!

60. giz 61

Genious!!! I’m doing a salmon dish for Passover and now I absolutely know how i’m doing it. Thanks for the recipe!!

61. Suzette 62

I love salmon, too. Whenever I’m in the Northwest, I have it every single day. I’d have it twice a day, if I could! In a similar vein, I have Key Lime Pie every day when I’m in Florida – especially in the keys. I believe in eating local! :)

62. Hilary 63

Delicious looking salmon .. I’ll give that a go ..

Thanks Cathy .. Hilary: Positive Letters

63. Julie 64

I don’t cook nearly enough fish..I’m just not very good at it. I’ll have to keep this in mind.

64. Kendra 65

Ohhh you are after my heart hun! I adore Salmon anyway. To me, it’s the chicken of the sea. As long as its fresh, I’ll eat it anyway. This looks amazing.

65. Louise 66

Fish with crusts … great minds think alike today. Love the matzo idea, and the simple clean up on this dish makes it that much more attractive!

66. Philly 67

How do you think this would taste on a different fish? I’m not a big salmon lover, so I don’t make it.

salmon doesn’t excite me, but that topping sure does! this is brilliant and absolutely lovely, cathy.

Oh yummy, yummy, yum yum! We eat lots of salmon (we’re Oregonian’s afterall), and I’m always ready to try a new recipe! This looks awesome, especially that grainy mustard! YUM!

matzo huh? wonderful! some of my strange cravings are matzo’s with salty butter spread on thick. YUM

70. Ohhh. That looks yummy! Only no one else at my house likes salmon… only me!

71. We love cooking with salmon too. Your crust looks delicious – i love how thick it is!

72. for some reason, i like the way you composed the pictures this time. never mind the food looked absolutely fab!

73. Sophia 74

WOW! this looks freaking amazing! salmon is just about my favorite fish ever, but I like it with light, refreshing sauces instead of heavy ones. the topping here you have sounds perfect. if I can’t find matzo, can I just use regular breadcrumbs?

74. krysta 75

cathy, those look so beautiful. the pictures are great.

75. Wow, that is some nice photography, and looks like a really tasty recepie as well.

Also, i must say i have never seen motza before, just know of it. It is not really a stapel item here in Sweden, so thanks for that one

/Offalboy

76. Oh Cathy, I thought if I came by your spot after a long day and on a very full stomach I would be able to read your post intelligently without shushing my stomach. BUT NO! Your pics are so delicious and your recipe choices divine . . . I’m in trouble again and must get off here and go for a snack. The leftover tuna salad for lunch just won’t do. Hmmmm . . . I wonder how late Raley’s stays open on Sunday nights? ; D

I love your yummy blog!

77. annbb 78

That looks wonderful! Of course, I’ve never met a salmon dish I haven’t loved.

Yup, I have worms, too, but I rescue them from puddles. And must admit, use them as bait to catch the fish from our pond. That old circle of life rearing it’s head again.

78. LilSis 79

I’m always looking for a new salmon recipe. I’ve never used Matzo before but this looks delicious!I’ll be giving it a try.

79. Cass 80

I madethis tonight I. Swordfish with grapefruit as I was out of lemon and it was so gummy. Thanks for rocking again!!!

80. Melynda 81

This was the BEST! We had wild salmon that friends had caught in the Columbia. Thanks again for the recipe.

81. Jaime 82

Oh, Oh, Oh, YUMMMM!!!!! That salmon is gorgeous. Nice pictures.
    Matzo. What I wouldn’t give to have some nice Jewish friends who would invite me to their Seder this year.
    I’m doing a Matzo crunch recipe on my blog soon, you know, the matzo covered in toffee and chocolate? I can’t wait.

82. Beth 83

I made this. I’m eating it. It is YUMMY good! Thanks for the recipe

83. Marilyn Rackover 84

Hi,
    Just to let you know that not everyone can eat mustard at Passover time. For some sects of Judaism mustard is not allowed. Any ideas for substitution? It looks delicious. Will have to try it after Passover.

84. Ivonne 85

Okay, Cathy.

I’m coming over for dinner tomorrow night and I’m ordering this. I’ll be there by 7:00. I’ll bring wine.

85. Amy 86

This looks amazing. Your blog is wonderful, I’m off to check out more!

86. Salmon and matzo – that’s a new combination I haven’t heard of.
    If you love salmon that much, this might interest you, with a recipe way down below… link to familyfriendlyfood.com

87. You make really intellectual investigation referring to this good topic! Thence, the custom dissertation services and just some thesis writing services, could take as a basis of the thesis research.

88. Specialists say that mortgage loans help a lot of people to live their own way, just because they are able to feel free to buy necessary stuff. Moreover, various banks present student loan for different persons.

89. All people deserve good life time and credit loans or secured loan would make it better. Just because people’s freedom is grounded on money state.

90. Jill 91

I made this for my boyfriend and I last night.. Delish!! I love spending hoursss reading all of your recipies…its a bit of an obsession! I feel like cooking my way through this whole website like that Julia Child movie. thanks! :)