Glowing Geckos

The leprechaun traps are set.  My kids spent hours setting up a menagerie of pranks hoping to catch a trickster of their very own.

They dug in their piggy banks for a length of time, searching desperately for golden dollar coins.  Apparently these shiny objects will possibly lure the leprechauns into their lair of box traps.

It was hilarious listening to their banter while the trap building was taking place.  "Those leprechauns are tricky but they'll never get out of this."  "They behave so bad and they're messy".  "They have weird, tricky eyes."  It cracked me up.

After they fell asleep, I of course single-handedly destroyed all their handy-hard-work.  I flipped the traps over...spread lucky charms everywhere, confiscated the golden ransom, flipped the dining room chairs on their sides, two tables are turned completely over and dumped a whole bucket of toys onto the floor.

I also pulled out all of the Playstation game controllers and made it look like the little green bandits were playing Lego Star Wars all night long.

Let's not forget all the toilet bowl water has also been dyed green.

After essentially destroying the downstairs it dawned on me I would be the one cleaning it all up.  Bummer.

It's a good thing I have a pitcher of these Glowing Geckos in the fridge to lighten things up.  Their color is perfect for any St. Paddy's celebration.  They really do glow.

Let's make these to celebrate...

Here's what you will need: Midori melon liqueur, vodka, rum, Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice, sweet-and-sour mix and ice.

Combine 1 ounce Midori melon liqueur, 1/2 ounce vodka, 1/2 ounce rum, 1/2 ounce Rose's Lime Juice and 1 ounce sweet-and-sour mix in a cocktail shaker with ice.  Shake and strain into a martini glass over ice.

I still had some Key Limes hanging around so used them as garnish.

I left out the ice for picture taking purposes but these are good when cold.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Print Recipe

Glowing Gecko's

Recipe from: Inspired by Recipezaar | Serves: 1

Ingredients

• 1 ounce Midori melon liqueur
  • 1/2 ounce vodka
  • 1/2 ounce rum
  • 1/2 ounce Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice
  • 1 ounce prepared sweet and sour mix
  • Ice

Directions

• Combine 1 ounce Midori melon liqueur, 1/2 ounce vodka, 1/2 ounce rum, 1/2 ounce Rose's Lime Juice and 1 ounce sweet-and-sour mix in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass over ice.

One Year Ago:
Did You Know I Am A Sentimentalist

71 Comments and 1 Reply

1. Wow! To think I missed out on this kind of fun when my kids were growing up. Who knew leprechauns could inspire so much fun?

2. Man, all I made was a potato frittata to celebrate….I think next time I should make one while drinking my glowing cocktail.

3. I bet your kids are going to go nuts when they wake up! That’s too fun. What a great cocktail as well!

4. Hilary 4

Good for you Cathy .. I bet they’ll have fun today checking out where the little green people have gone to .. once they get over exuberant are you going to suggest they have some of your Glowing Geckos .. to calm them down? & perhaps send them to Leprechaun dreamland somewhat earlier than they’d like?

Good for you and the Huffington Post – I’m going to have a look now .. it’s great that your articles will be available to other audiences ..

Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

What a cool mom you are! LOL. Someday your boys will read this and chuckle! AND what a COOL drink you have there!

6. I so have to do the toilet bowl trick, right now before they awaken, it’ll just make their day! The drink looks amazing.

7. Is it too early to start drinking?

8. Debi 8

Cathy, you are providing your children with memories they will have for years to come…I applaud your enthusiasm!
    At our house we have always featured green food. I will be making green smoothies, green scrambled eggs, and green bagels (from our local bagel shop).
    —I like the green toilet water idea…it’s not too late, maybe I will surprise them!
    On the subject of parental magic, one time the tooth fairy “forgot” to come :/….ever have that happen at your house?

9. Being that there is a staunch Brit (the hubby) in residence, I wasn’t quite able to talk him into any Irish shenanigans last night so that the Little Imp would wake up and wonder what little buggerish leprechauns had been up to no good! But now that I’m feeling just a wee bit better, and the hubby and Little Imp are out of the house for the next 8 hours, I’m going to get up to a bit of mischief and make with some lucky charms myself. And when he comes home and wants to know “what in the bloody hell has gone on around here to cause such a mess” I’ll be honest and tell him the Irish in me took over! He forgets occasionally he married an Irish Cherokee. *lol*

Those drinks look so wonderful. Midori is one of my favourite adult bevs! And what a cool name…Glowing Geckos!

10. Awesome! Both on the leprechaun shenanigans all around and the glowing geckos!! Love the ingredients and the look. :-)

Shirley

11. Cheers! And congrats on the Huffington Post nod!

12. “Top a the morning to ya”. This is a great way to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day Cathy. We used to do a similar thing with my daughter which involved the eatser Bunny..that rascally “wabbit”.

13. Mmmm, they look yummy! How fun to do all that for your boys…I never thought of that! I did get the idea from you a week ago or so, but frankly I forgot! I was going to at least put food coloring in the toilet bowl, oh well. Congrats on your story too!

14. Shawn 14

Now that is cool! You have to tell us what the kids think when they wake up today!

15. Marcy 15

my mouth is watering, thinking of slurping up that cool green concoction!

16. Uhhhh…yum. That looks mighty tasty!

Yay! I just knew I could count on you for something fun today! I am definitely making these tonight before we go out with our son and our friends.

By the way, I decided to not ditch the cooking blog & have dived head first into making it work. It may take some time, but I’m not giving up!

18. Laurie 18

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Cathy! It sounds like you’re having a wonderful one. The kids antics cracked me up – and you are one awesome Mom.

Congratulations on the Huffington Post! You are on your way, girlfriend. Enjoy your gorgeous cocktails…

19. How fun! Your boys must love the leprechaun visit! I wish I had done that to my girls!

20. kayola 20

CONGRATULATIONS on the HUFFINGTON POST…seriously YOU ROCK my friend!!!!

What a fun Mom{Leprechan}you are!!!

21. Wow!! St. Patrick’s Day at your house sounds so fun!!

That drink looks very festive and I think I have everything to make it!

22. Cass 22

OH MY you bring back memories … my girls too set elaborate Rube-Goldberg-type leprechaun traps every year, and I’d set them off, and make mischief in the house. Oh wow… I miss that! It’s so grand that you are enjoying your kids and having such a good time! Congrats on the story pick-up, too!

23. Claire 23

Wow! Now, *that’s* a green cocktail!

My grandmother used to pour Midori over her vanilla ice cream (yeah, that tiny lady could knock ’em back with the biggest of men). She liked adding “a little pizzazz” to her dessert. I’ve never seen anyone else use the stuff, until now! Happy St. Pats!

25. tipper 25

What a neat St. Patty’s Day tradition you and your boys do! Sounds like so much fun!

Oh. My. Gosh! What a fun mom you are, and what great memories you are making for your little leprechauns! Your green cocktail looks just perfect for the days festivities! FUN!

27. I love the gorgeous bright green color of this drink! Happy St. Patrick’s day!

28. I love the gorgeous bright green color of this drink! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

29. Jescel 29

that drink looks amazing! and your post made me chuckle.. you’re hilarious.. this drink with the bailey’s cake??? wow!

What a fun mom you are. I forgot all about setting something out for the kids until this morning…I ran down with a quick note and some chocolate coins, luckily my kids thought it was really cool.

The drink looks FANTASTIC! I could drink a few of those tonight.

31. I have never heard of this before. It looks like so much fun! I wish I had known about this years before, I think Boo is too old for this now. But maybe I can talk my kids into doing this for the Grandkids.
    Congratulations on the story pick. It was a good one!
    I’m just wondering if those Glowing Gecko’s don’t turn the toilet water green after they’ve been ingested? tee hee
    They look fun, too!

32. melissa 32

Congrat’s!!!!
    Your boys have a great mom! Your the best:)

33. Steph 33

We never did anything special for St. Patrick’s day growing up, and I’d never really thought anything of it…but I would have loved to wake up to what your kids do. How fun!

The Huffington Post is a HUGE publication. Wow. The luck of the Irish is with you! Awesome!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

35. That’s a yummy looking drink. I want one. Time to head for the liquor store for some Midori.

Congrats on yor publication! That’s awesome!

You are too funny with your ransacked home and green toilet water. Will you be my mommy?

36. Mary 36

Cathy, two big high fives for your the “Chair” reaching other sources. You go girl!

37. LilSis 37

WOW! Fantastic photos of the Glowing Gecko! I think everyone that sees this post is going to want to make those tonight. Thanks for the ‘shout out’.

Congrats on the article in The Huffington Post. Great job!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

38. Lisa 38

Congratulations on your article! And what a fun drink. I’ll probably be sticking to Guinness but I totally admire your sense of flair. And the green toilet water still makes me laugh!

39. Noble Pig Fan 39

Wow, will you be my mom?? Just kidding, already all grown up but what an imagination you have. Congrats on the Amy Ephron deal, have you met her or Nora yet??

40. Alanna 40

Oh wow, this is awesome. I am SOOO keeping this idea for when I have kids! I love all your clever ideas!!!

41. Ginny 41

Excellent! Delicious! I used to drink midori sours in college… i like the more grown up version… Happy St. Patty’s Day!

42. Rebel 42

How fun for your kids! I use to do stuff like that when my kids were young and at home. Miss those times.
    Your drink looks luscious!

43. What a beautiful drink! And what a cool Mom… flipping over the furniture and making a leprechaun mess for the boys. I think it’s great.

& congrats on the huff post! Good place to end up :)

44. I think it’d be so cool to drink something that green!

45. annbb 45

If those don’t convey St. Paddy’s day, nothing will!

46. Maureen 46

Oh my, I have all the ingredients on hand for this. Looks like we will be imbibing on a special cocktail tonight.
    Thanks for the great ideas!

47. OMG–you really went all-out w/ the St. Patty’s spirit–good for you! I’m sure the boys loved it!

I wish I had looked your blog before I went to the store–I totally would have made those drinks–they are SO cool! I am, however, about to make the Bailey’s cake!!

P.S.–Maybe I’ll send hubby out later for the drink ingredients!

48. I’ve never heard of anyone going all out for St. Patrick’s Day as you did! Sounded like so much fun. Fabulous post! Congratulations on your post appearing on the Huffington Post.

49. I’ve never heard of anyone who went all out as you did for St. Patrick’s Day. It sounded like so much fun!

Fabulous post. Congratulations on your post appearing in the Huffington Post.

50. Sandie 50

Cute St. Paddy’s Day post! Green toilet water…who whudda thunk it!

Love this colorful libation—the only thing better is your article getting picked up by the Huffington Post. Which, by the way, I agree—who needs the chair, just give me the mousse!

51. Green potty water- I’ll have to remember that one for next year! That drink looks good right about now and it isn’t even 5 o’clock here yet. But it is somewhere!

52. Ohhh, that looks like a fun idea for game night-glowing green drinks!

53. Biz 53

Can I come over for cocktails tonight??!!

I used to have appletini’s all the time – this reminds me of that!

Happy Day to you too!

54. Lo! 54

Your kids are totally cracking me up, Cathy. I so appreciate your Leprechaunic adventures… I seriously thought my mom was the only one wacky enough to think stuff like this up. It was such a happy part of my childhood… makes me giddy just thinking of all those great memories your kids are going to have!

We’re having a slew of adults over for dinner tonight. And we’re dying the toilet water green in your honor :)

55. Debbie 55

I love the green water in the toilet. Those crazy leprechauns!!!!

What a great mom you are. That is something your boys will remember forever. Kids are so hilarious.

Oh how I wish I would have been there when they woke up expecting to have they’re traps full of the little people! PRICELESS!!

58. These sound great! And wow, it sounds like St. Patrick’s Day at your house is serious good times. How creative?

59. yes definitely I’ll take two. One for each aching foot!

Love Midori, and fake Midori isn’t as good.

61. Kiki 61

I like the color, but Midori gives me the heebee-geebees.

Were the boys disappointed they didn’t catch anything?

62. Here’s hoping you had many toasts of these with that good news. Congrats!

63. Congratulations on the HP! Hey, it just goes to show you that good things get noticed :)

…like your cocktail. That looks gooooooood. Also, because I’m a closet alcoholic, I happen to have all the ingredients. Looks like St. Pats is coming one day late for me this year!

64. That looks awesome! Midori is my favorite liquor!

65. EP 65

ooooh I love midori so much, but I haven’t had it in forever.. time to revisit it

66. sharon 66

ooh, Midori reminds me of my first forays into drinking. Midori sours were my “sophisticated” drink of choice back in the day :)

67. Elyse 67

When I was little, I used to love setting traps for the Leprechauns. It was such a wonderful adventure around the house. These drinks look amazingly good. I’m such a huge fan of sour mix; I can’t wait to try this drink!

68. Love the St. Paddy’s Day antics. Far surpasses the green milk and mashed potatoes I’ve had. Congrats on the story — yep, that chair is fascinating. I’m thinking I wouldn’t look as small as she does if I sat in it though. Too much mousse.

69. LilSis 69

Your photos are gorgeous, as usual, Cathy! I love these festive cocktails!

I make them every year now for St. Patty’s Day. They’re always a big hit with everyone!!

Thanks for the BigSisLilSis mention!

70. Renee 70

Did you know tonic water can make food glow in the dark?

71. Truckergirl 72

My son used to set traps too. Such fun looking back and remembering all the fun we had together. He was so much fun! They grow up way too fast…he is nearly 30 now….my how time flies! Love your blog…been trying to figure out a good subject to go on to do one of my own. Awesome drink recipe….love it that the Huff picked you up!