Peanut Butter-Nutella Brownies

By name alone, I was already convinced this was for me.

There is nothing I dislike more than a dried out, hockey-puck-of-a brownie.  What’s the point.

But these Peanut Butter-Nutella Brownies are nothing less than perfection.  Can you see the fudge-like middle?  Yeah, that’s for me.

The best part about this recipe…it’s for a 9 x 13 pan and not the standard 8 x 8 like most brownie recipes.  There is nothing worse than a brownie you love and not much to go around.  This recipe takes care of that.

Is there anyone who doesn’t like Nutella?  Why?

Let’s make these…

Here’s what you will need:  Butter, granulated sugar, pure vanilla extract, eggs, all-purpose flour, cocoa, table salt, baking powder, Nutella and peanut butter.

In a medium bowl combine 4.5 ounces (1 cup) all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup cocoa (sift this in to get rid of lumps), 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.

Over low heat, melt 1 cup butter and stir in 2 cups sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract until well combined.

To the butter-sugar mixture add 4 eggs, one at a time.  With a wooden spoon vigorously mix in each egg until well-combined.

To the butter-egg mixture whisk in the cocoa mixture until fully combined.

In a microwave safe bowl add 1/2 cup Nutella and 1/2 cup peanut butter.  Heat in the microwave in 20 second intervals until it reaches a runny consistency.  Stir this mixture into the batter.

Pour the batter into a glass 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  I used Baker’s Joy.  Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Let brownies cool completely before cutting.  I also made a simple icing of milk and confectioner’s sugar, drizzling it over the brownies, sprinkling them with mini chocolate chips.

It is so hard to wait for these to completely cool before diving into them, but you must.  They are so moist, if you don’t they might fall apart.

So, so yummy.

Peanut Butter-Nutella Brownies
Adapted from Culinary in the Country

1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
4.5 ounces (1 cup) all-purpose flour
(I always weigh my flour when baking)
3/4 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 cup peanut butter

In a medium bowl combine all-purpose flour, cocoa (sift this in to get rid of lumps), baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Over low heat, melt butter and stir in sugar and vanilla extract until well combined.

To the butter-sugar mixture add eggs, one at a time.  With a wooden spoon vigorously mix in each egg until well-combined.

To the butter-egg mixture whisk in the cocoa mixture until fully combined.

In a microwave safe bowl add Nutella and peanut butter.  Heat in the microwave in 20 second intervals until it reaches a runny consistency.  Stir this mixture into the batter.

Pour the batter into a glass 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  (I used Baker’s Joy.)  Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Let brownies cool completely before cutting.

118 Comments and 1 Reply

1. deeba 1

Not a hard sell at all Cathy…dear heavens, it’s sheer torture!! How much yummier can a brownie get. I love the way 2009 has begun at Noble Pig…on a sugar high most of the time!! Woohoo!!

2. Tacky 2

Looks and sounds good.
    Question though, what is Nutella? Don’t think I’ve seen that in our grocery stores.

3. See, this is why I love your blog, it is varied, plenty of recipes that appeal to everyone, but the recipes are interesting and you give just enough of a twist in the everyday foods to make them that little bit extra special! Brownies done different and special!Thanks again!

Its never a hard sell when there is nutella!

5. Lori 5

Those are some of the most inviting looking brownies I’ve seen! With the extra frosting drizzles and mini chocolate chips, wow! :)

6. I used the last of my peanut butter last night to make my flourless peanut butter/brown sugar cookies, and no Nutella in the pantry either. However, luckily, I am headed to the store today! And, I daresay, I’d make a special trip for this recipe! That picture of the “lattice work” and chocolate chips from above. Divine. Easy to adapt to gluten free, too!

Thanks, Cathy! Shirley

7. Anything with Nutella is the best! And PB too, now you are killing me. Your family is sooooo lucky!

8. As I’m not a fan of chocolate or peanut butter (lately just the smell of p-butter gags me for some reason!), but know a lot of the guys in the hubby’s office are, and being that I haven’t sent him into the office with anything yummy lately, these look and sound like a sure-fire way to keep me at the top of the “please make more” pile!

I’ve used Nutella on toast and shortbread for the kiddos but it never occured to me to cook with it. How cool! My kids LOVE it!

I have to quickly remember the person with whom I was having a NUTELLA conversation this past weekend.
    This is awesome.

10. nutella-choc-peanut butter!!!! WOW…those are all my favourite ingredients!!! I definitely have to give this a go.

11. Let me wipe the drool off my face. This looks delicious.

Ok I am trying this with my next batch of brownies. I saw a Nutella hot chocolate too. These brownies would go very well with my coffee right now

OMG peanut butter and Nutella!! Those brownies look amazing!

14. OMG!!! I’m not going to be able to mmake these for the kids b/c of nut allergies–but I think I’ll have to make a sneaky batch for myself!!

15. Becky 15

SOLD!
    I had to copy this one down immediately. Now I’m off to see if I have all the ingredients.

16. OMG! This looks so good!

Last night girlfriend looked me in the eye and said “You know Mom, I think it’s time to make those muffins again. You know, the peanutbutter muffins you made last year from your blogger friend’s recipie?”

I wonder if she’d rather have brownies?

17. tipper 17

Love that this recipe makes a bigger batch-YUM!

18. Yum. You are killing me;)

I believe I am the only person on the planet who didn’t know what Nutella is until last summer. We love brownies hereabouts!

20. Lex the Mom 20

A must bake dessert for the weekend! I have some serious catching up to do!!!

Do I really need to say anything here? Ok, YUM!

22. Yum….Nutella. It goes on everything. It’s hard to explain to my husband why I need Nutella & peanut butter. And the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter from the Peanut Butter Company. No addiction here :)

23. Oh. My. Gawh.

I’m hungry as it is, but this recipe just pushed me over the edge. These look sinfully good. Going to make them very, very soon.

24. Rita Joiner 24

Oh my land….you’re speaking to my heart. There’s nothing more tempting to me than a rich, moist, puddingy brownie. This gets filed in the Must Make When Feeling Naughty portion of my brain. (Or in other words, we’ll be making these soon.)

25. ELRA 25

Are you kidding? I never heard of anyone dislike nutella. I can’t live without it. I don’t really have peanut butter, but I always have nutella. Yes, yes, this is the type of brownies that I’d like to eat. I can see how moist in the inside. Hmmm, drooling!
    Cheers,
    Elra

26. Nutella and PB..how could you go wrong. They look yummy.

27. Cath, you could sell me some of these…..how much?

Gurgle… (faint)

I. Want. Those. Brownies. Now. Please. Thanks. Heh. :)

I have an award for you! Check it out here: link to icookstuff.blogspot.com

29. Oh my GOD! Those look to-die-for good.

30. Nutella, peanut butter, chocolate…what’s not here to inspire me. I have been contemplating making brownies lately…I think they’re even in my dreams.

31. Definitely not a hard sell. With the gooey inside…trouble.

I tried nutella once, but since I didn’t LOVE it, I never buy it. It’s interesting how it’s really popular in certain parts of the world and rarely seen in others.

32. snowmoonelk 32

Not knowing what a STICK of butter is, I decided to look it up (I’m from the UK). This is for those of you who, like me hadn’t a clue!
    1 stick of butter = 1/4 pound
    1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup
    1 stick of butter = 8 tablespoons
    1 stick of butter = 4 ounces
    1 stick of butter = 113 grams

I’ve never had Nutella before but these brownies make me want to try it!

34. snowmoonelk 34

Oh dear, just received a FlyLady message in my inbox warning about peanut butter – doesn’t say why so I shall google it in a minute, but this is part of the email I received…”The FDA has sent out a warning not to
    eat foods made with peanut butter although they are saying peanut
    butter on the grocery store shelf is safe” Does anyone know what this means and why???

35. Katie 35

There is nothing I dislike more than a cake-y brownie. Brownies should be fudgy and moist and almost undercooked. Those look delicious!

36. Biz 36

you had me at “Nutella!” I am printing this recipe out – my daughter will love it. I am the cook, she’s the baker!

37. And that is for me too! Really how can they not be anything but outrageous?!!

38. Devon 38

Wow, these look amazing. I am allergic to eggs and intolerant to wheat and I don’t think that would be able to stop me from eating one of these. Delicious.

39. KAYOLA 39

chocolate is a food group they don’t tell you about!!! CHOCOLATE…Need I say more?

40. {{Drooling}} wow these are so not a hard sell!! Incredible

41. Sandie 41

Not to point out the obvious, but what’s NOT to love about Nutella, peanut butter and brownies? What a combo! *Swoon*

42. Louise 42

Oh, you just had to add icing and chocolate chips?! You’re my kind of cook.

43. Holy moly brownies! These require no selling at all! Yummy!

44. Gloria 44

I don’t think I could wait for them to cool! I’d eat them right out of the oven, crumbs and all. :)

45. nina 45

Recipe Girl is trying to get us all thin and you are messing with my mind….what is next??????Good grief, these brownies just look sooooo good!!!

46. Lo! 46

It’s been such a crazy week, I can’t TELL you how much I need one of those :)

WoW! And here I am dieting… I’m just going to have to bookmark this one so I can try it when I get busy putting back on all the weight I’ve lost.

Thanks a lot. Really.

48. Tanya 48

Oh…my…God. I’m sold! I’m printing this recipe out and making it ASAP. You only need mention that it contains Nutella and I’m in love.

49. Rindy R 49

Nutella and peanut butter….you had me at Nutella!
    These are going on my must try!

50. Melissa 50

Not a hard sell – even to a non-sweets person like me!!

But I have to say I really, really love your frosting and chips on top. I don’t know that I would want them as much otherwise. YUUUUM Cathy.

51. tamilyn 51

That’s okay, I’ll eat them even if they have fallen apart if I can’t contain myself and have to dig in right away. It’s all good………

52. tamilyn 52

There was a salmonella outbreak that they have tracked back to peanut butter. What was found so far was it was mainly in large institutions like nursing homes that use the large commercial containers. I believe King Nut was the brand name involved. Many food manufacturers were pulling crackers, cookies, cakes, etc made with peanut butter until they can trace the origin. Working in the food production industry, we have been watching this very carefully and thankfully none of our products are affected. An older person here in MN died and had the salmonella strain in his system, but was an elderly gentleman and had many other health issues.

53. Rebel 53

OH MY GOODNESS! What more can I say?

54. I’m drooling. I know what I’m making this week for a treat for the boys. Thanks for sharing :)

55. I can just imagine what they taste like. I can’t imagine them lasting too long around our house.

Salmonella would also be killed at cooking temps of 150 F, so there is no worry.

57. Robin 57

Oh yea. That’s happening. I might name my next child Nutella.

Mine are in the oven as we speak. Thank you.

59. imom 59

These will be perfect to serve at my next scrapbooking get together! Those women gotta have their chocolate and what better way than those luscious brownies?!

60. Katrina 60

Sheesh, it took me almost all day to get to your latest blog and well, I guess in a way, that’s a good thing, because I probably would have made these today if I’d have seen them earlier. YUM-ME!
    And yes, we are Nutella lovers in this house. That is often all I can get my 5 year old to eat, Nutella spread on bread. Course, I have to lick the knife and the spoon that accidentally makes its way in there and after cutting off the spread crusts, I have to eat those, too! 😉 Great recipe, Cathy, thanks!

61. Linda 61

I’m a few days behind in checking out your blog, but I’m not disappointed. I think it’s funny that I got so excited that you’re pouring concrete and spreading gravel. Stuff like that makes me happy.

The Obama chili looks good, but I can’t stray from my daddy’s recipe, it just wouldn’t be right.

Then those brownies … well that could make anyone happy! I’ll file that away for my daughter to make … the Nutella sealed the deal for her.

62. Selba 62

Wow… this brownies looks absolutely delicious, especially with the Nutella and Peanut butter cream.

63. jessy 63

Oh my god. Those look absolutely amazing!

64. I am so fat I need to give up sugar and chocolate like forever and you are not helping! I don’t car if they fall apart I love warm brownies and a scoop of ice cream on top isn’t bad either.

65. KJ 65

These are brownies to cross the road for!!

I hate it when chocolate cake tries to be all edgy by passing itself off as a browny. It’s so wrong. Go fudgy or go home I say.

66. Cheryl 66

Oh dear. I like brownies of ALL varieties…dry, moist, fresh, stale, storebought, homemade, burnt, undercooked…

I would eat these in a house, and I would eat these with a mouse…

Holy freakin’ cow. Yum.

67. Dragon 67

I would eat a hot dog if it was covered in nutella. :) These look amazing.

Nutella + Peanut butter = food of the gods! My kids would totally be sneaking those mini chips! :-)

69. megan 69

Maybe I should make the pineapple for dinner and have this for desert. Hehe! :)

70. ashley 70

oh yum! i want to make these!

71. Sweet wounded wuffles. If only I could eat chocolate.

72. Julie 72

Must…have…brownie

what a texture on those brownies. these would be the end of any resolution diet, unless said dieter was particularly strong. i am not strong. :)

74. Donald 74

Yikes!!!! They look scrumptious!

The wife and I are making these this weekend. I’ll post a link or trackback here from my blog.

Everyone needs to have these at least once. So now there are on my (short) bucket list! :-)

75. (slober, slober) hey, where’s the tissue? gah, these look great!
    Darnit all those nut allergies at school. I’ll have to eat ’em and send crackers with my kids.

76. My first time on your blog and I am loving those scrumptios brownies! I will definitely be coming back to check out more posts. Thanks!

I think I gained five pounds just looking at that first picture!

78. This is to die for. You’ve combined two of our faves (pb and cocoa) and then tossed in Nutella. This isn’t right!

79. Peebs 79

You’ve done it again! Another fantastic recipe. I made these last night, took them to work this morning, and brought home the empty dish this afternoon. They were wonderful. Thanks, Cathy!

80. definitely NOT a hard sell 😉

81. I have no choice but to make these right this second!!! Nutella has got to be one of my favorite things EVER! Thanks for the great recipe!

82. heidi 82

I absolutely adore, truly adore brownies and Nutella!! This is a must try recipe for me, thanks :-)

Heidi

83. Deborah 83

I’m afraid that if I made these, I’d eat the whole pan myself!!

I don’t like Nutella. I have no idea why. :)

85. natalie 85

ohhh yum! i need a glass of milk just looking at this!!

Um, Nutella AND peanut butter? SWOOOOONNN.
    I may have to make these for a Super Bowl party I’m going to this weekend.

87. Michelle 87

Just made these today, they’re amazing! They won over my boyfriend’s moms heart. Thanks so much :]

88. bella 88

um..I’m a newbie in the kitchen and have one silly question: when should the sugar-butter mixture be taken off of the low heat, is it before adding the eggs or it just goes on the heat until all mixtures are assembled?

89. Thanks so much for this recipe. This might truly be the best brownie I’ve ever made. Blogged about it here:
    link to arundathi-foodblog.blogspot.com

90. Jersey Steph 90

I’m baking them in the oven right now. I’ll get back to you and let you know how AWESOME they taste. I added Chocolate chips to it.. No peanut butter though.. because I’m allergic.. but I know they’ll taste GREAT!! Love the recipe. <3

91. Thanks for sharing, they look fabulous!

92. Rachael 92

Turned out great! Maybe a little too moist, but that could be because they haven’t fully cooled…

93. zhangdan 93

94. Aubrey 94

I am not a particularly experienced or knowledgeable cook, but I made your brownies and they turned out fantastic! Thank you so much for this easy, delicious recipe!

95. Dan 95

A+

96. It’s in the morning here, but I want brownies!

97. Nutella is nut based..Hazelnuts. Are you allergic to all nuts, or just peanuts? Be careful.

98. Rachael 98

So for a co-worker’s birthday today I tried making the palm beach brownies with peppermint patties last night – large disaster – they were completely raw in the middle as I baked it for 35 minutes no longer. In a frenzy late last night I bought the ingredients for this brownie and made them at midnight. They were fantastic! Everyone loved them! (Even though they will make my weight watchers weigh in a little less joyous). Thanks! Still purplexed as to why the other brownies failed though…

99. Noble Pig 99

I’m not sure if you are talking about the dough being raw or the patties being melty.  If the dough was raw, then your oven is probably off temperature (too cool). If the patties were melty and exploded your oven is probably cooking too hot (and they exploded) or you needed to refrigerate them longer before cutting.

100. Diana 100

Ok…so I’m licking the bowl I used to microwave the PB and Nutella in…and just curious if any apple sauce can be substituted for a portion of the butter in this recipe…it works in substituting for oil very well. I KNOW a recipe will be FANTASTIC on the taste buds…but not so much on the waist when the butter equals the flour amount. :-) I”m sure I’ll make this again, so I may experiment. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing. Found you through a google search for “Nutella recipes”.

101. Noble Pig 101

Well since I’ve never tried substituting the apple sauce, I have no idea. You’ll just have to give it a shot.

102. Sheryl 102

Hi Ladies,

Love the recipe for the peanut butter nutella brownies!! I was hoping to get the gluten free recipe if you are willing to share it. We have many clients who are gluten sensitive. Thanks a lot! Enjoy! http://www.HolisticPainRelief.us

103. Tracy 103

Do you mean 4.5 oz of flour or 1 cup? 1 cup is 8 oz, so I’m a bit confused here. I just went with the 8 oz (1 cup), so here’s to experimentation!

104. Noble Pig 104

One cup of correctly measured all-purpose flour weighs 4.5 ounces not 8 ounces. When baking I always use a digital scale to measure my dry ingredients for better results.

105. Tracy 105

I take it that the 4.5 oz is by *weight* rather than by *volume* because 1 cup really, really is 8 ounces.

Thanks for your help. The brownies are absolutely divine.

106. Noble Pig 106

Right….but the measurement of 8 ounces in a cup is “FLUID OUNCES”….flour is measured by dry weight.  If you are measuring flour (or other dry ingredients) in a container showing 1 cup/ 8 ounces such as a glass Pyrex measuring cup, or other type of measuring vessel showing 8 ounces, you are essentially adding the incorrect amount of said ingredient.  This recipe might be forgiving of that because it is a very wet batter but it will make a difference when baking a more delicate cake or pastry from scratch.

107. Eliza 107

we just made these and they are the most amazing mosit chocolate brownies, but… they really dont have much of a peanut or nutella flavor. (I didnt weigh the flour, but measured out a cup)

108. alex 108

These look delicious! I can’t wait to try this out!

How did you make the icing? :)

109. Mandip 109

How would I make the icing?

110. Becca 110

In my anticipation of World Nutella Day 2011 (February 5, 2011), I was searching the Internet for incredible Nutella recipes. WHAM BAM… there your beautiful creatures of Nutella goodness were. I am definitely baking a batch of these TOMORROW, as fudgy brownies + nectar of Nutella = PURE LOVE

111. robin wieder 111

just made these brownies..omg..delicious..so yummy and rich…loved them…this recipe is a keeper!

112. OMG how delicious these look and must taste! I have to make them!

113. Tzippy 113

Best brownies ever!!! Thanks for posting :)

114. Brandy 114

I’ve used this recipe multiple times, and it’s never failed to make the most perfect deliciously moist brownie. Definitely one of my favorites!

115. Karin J. 115

Hands down these are the BEST brownies I have ever had! I made these this weekend and they are AWESOME! They have kept very well over the past few days. I did sub almond butter for peanut butter because of my husband’s allergy.

116. mrsdmk 116

I made a half pan of these yesterday. The main reason for a half recipe was so hubby and I didn’t eat a whole 9×13 pan in one night! But they were so yummy (and yes all but one of that batch of brownies is gone) that here I am the next evening about to make another batch!
    Last night I used 1 c Nutella since I was out of peanut butter. Today I’m going to use 2/3 cups Nutella and I’m adding in Reese’s Pieces. WARNING these are addicting.

117. tammy kimsey 117

OMG, can’t wait to make these ! My mouth is watering right now just writing down the recipe. Heading to the kitchen right now; and to the store if I don’t have everything I need to make them

118. Eileen Hagen 118

Theses are the best brownies ever!