Triple-Layered Spiced Apple Carrot Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting

While the Wild Boar happily indulges in all the cakes I make, he does have a favorite.

It’s hard for me to imagine chocolate is not his favorite cake, but I respect our differences.  And truth be told, I love this cake too.

This Triple-Layered Spiced Apple Carrot Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting takes your regular carrot cake up some notches.

I personally love the goat cheese addition.  I think it adds another dimension of flavor into an already great tasting treat.

The Wild Boar loves this cake because it’s not sickening sweet.  I mean he already has my sickening sweetness to contend with,  he wouldn’t be able to deal with both.

So let’s make it…..the Wild Boar is hungry and you don’t even need to get out your mixer.

Here is what you will need for the cake:  All-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, unsweetened cocoa powder, ground black pepper, eggs, carrots, Granny Smith apples and walnuts.  Ingredients not shown:  Baking soda, table salt and vegetable oil.

In a large bowl, sift together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper  and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Whisk to combine.

Stir in 1 cup vegetable oil, 4 lightly beaten eggs and 1 egg yolkStir in 1-1/2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots, 1-1/2 cups packed coarsely grated Granny Smith Apples and 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.

Transfer cakepans to cooling racks and let cool 10 minutes.  Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.

Here’s what you will need for the frosting:  Powdered sugar, goat cheese, cream cheese, unsalted butter and pure vanilla extract.

Beat 11 ounces fresh, mild chevre (goat cheese), 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter until smooth and fluffy; about 3 minutes.  Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix until combined.

Once cakes are cool, arrange first layer on a large platter.  Spread some frosting over it, then top with the second layer and top with the third.  Generously frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.  Press walnuts lightly into the sides of the cake.  Chill until cold before serving; about 3 hours.

The Wild Boar is going to love this.

This ones for me.  Luckily the children will not eat a cake like this, so we don’t have to share!

Give it a try!

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots (about 3)
1-1/2 cups packed coarsely grated Granny Smith apples (about 4)
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, more for garnish
11 oz. fresh, mild chevre (goat cheese), room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl, sift together flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, unsweetened cocoa powder, black pepper and salt.  Whisk to combine.

Stir in vegetable oil, lighly beaten eggs and 1 egg yolk until combined.  Stir in carrots, apples and walnuts.

Divide the batter among three, greased,  9-inch, round baking pans.  (To make sure my layers are even, I weigh my pans with the batter to make sure I have equal amounts in each one.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cakes pull away from pan sides and a cake tester inserted in each center comes out clean.  Transfer cakes to cooling racks and let cool 10 minutes.  Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.

For the frosting…

Beat chevre (goat cheese), cream cheese, vanilla extract and butter until smooth and fluffy; about 3 minutes.  Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combined.

Once cakes are cool, arrange first layer on a large platter.  Spread some frosting over it, then top with the second layer and top with the third.  Generously frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.  Press walnuts lightly into the sides of the cake.  Chill before serving; about 3 hours.

45 Comments and 1 Reply

1. gram 1

Nice.

This looks wonderful!

3. This cake recipe looks very good and just right for us people like the Wild Boar who prefer desserts not too sweet.

It is a perfect marriage if the two are different…Hubby loves his sweets and chocolate and is very happy to eat my share of them too…he just better share the brussel sprouts with me.

Beautiful creation. But I don’t do layers. I do sheet cake or Bundt. My layer cakes have all failed, so I quit trying. The photo of the slice of cake makes you want to take a bite right now.

5. What a beautiful cake. I’ve never added cocoa powder before. Sounds wonderful.

I’m bookmarking this one. Your photos are excellent, Cathy

6. YUM!!! This is such a beautiful cake, and I do believe it qualifies as Health Food!!!

7. This cake looks crazy good…I think the goat cheese would make it taste fabulous!

8. Wow frosting with goat cheese? Now and only now I have learned all that I need to learn in this lifetime! That sounds so interesting! And I would agree with Andi, that yes, this IS health food! Great post!

9. YUM! I wish my husband liked cake, he just doesn’t, but it’s usually because it’s too sweet, so maybe he’d like this!

10. Kayola 10

…and I thought the carrot cake from Costco was good…I want to try this…dang girl…how do you guys stay in shape at your home with all this yummy food…CARROT CAKE is my all time favorite cake!

11. Marlene 11

My girlfriend’s birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and she just loves carrot cake. I will have to make her this one! Beautiful!

Marlene

12. tipper 12

Looks perfect for Sunday dinner’s dessert! Love that you don’t have to drag out the mixer too.

The Wild Boar has very good taste. And not just in women.

14. Mary 14

Boy, you are clever. This looks impossibly good for something so easy to make. My compliments.

15. ELRA 15

He doesn’t like chocolate?
    Hmmm, I can understand that. I have friend that actually hate chocolate.
    And I don’t mind not having chocolate cake if I know I’ll be getting carrot cake as good as yours.
    Cheers,
    Elra

3 layer cake is always better than 2 layer. I have never seen goat cheese in a frosting…but you say it’s good then I’m with you and I’m ready to try this.

17. I love the idea of the goat cheese instead of crem cheese! I will add it to my list of recipes to try!!

18. krysta 18

i love it! i’d rather have a cake like this than a chocolate one any time.

19. sharon 19

Holy Yum! I have a tried & true carrot cake recipe, but have never found frosting that was *the one*. I can’t wait to try this! I never would’ve thought of goat cheese.

20. Becky 20

That looks sinfully delicious.
    Girl, you are starving me for sweets!

21. My husband would love this too. Even more than cake he’s a berry pie kinda guy. The kids must get the chocolate gene from me.

Thanks for the recipe!

22. OOOMMMGGGoossshh that looks so wonderful, I’m not so sure about the goat cheese frosting but I’m going to give it a try…

Carrot Cake is my absolute favorite nad has been for years. If I try this one, I’ll need to keep it quiet that I used goat cheese, lol.

24. Louise 24

Hmmm, goat cheese. That is intriguing, although I’m still undecided if it is in that “I’ll have to try that” or more the “I don’t think I’d try that” kind of a way. But yes, intriguing!

That looks fantastic. I never would have thought “goat cheese” and “frosting” in the same sentence, but I bet it’s awesome.

26. You had me at Goat Cheese.

Seriously, like I need something else for that addiction.

27. Tanya 27

Oh yummy! The goat cheese sounds fantastic! I will definitely have to try this someday.

28. Kevin 28

Carrot cake is one of my favorites and I like the use of apples, cocoa and goat cheese in this one. Bookmarked.

Happy Holidays!

Carrot cake kicked up a notch, indeed!

30. WOW What a wonderful recipe – I would have never thought of using goat cheese as a frosting. Thank you for sharing this treasure. This is a must make.

I’ve never heard of goat cheese in a frosting, either, but I’ll take your word for it. Sounds good, too!

32. Laurie 32

WOW! That cake looks fabulous and I love the goat’s cheese. Perfect addition.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that the New Year brings you all yummy things.

33. Cath,
    This is an impressive cake, I love carrot cake, the goat cheese frosting is crazy good!
    Stace

34. Jesse 34

Wow. My heart is seriously beating faster just from looking at your beautiful, beautiful pictures. That CAKE! That frosting! The quality of your pictures! *goes into overdrive and goes to heaven*

How in the world am I ever going to get out of my fat pants if you keep tempting me? This looks so good. Yum!

36. Goat cheese frosting now there is something to try in 2009. I love carrot cake..I am with the Wild Boar there since carrot cake is my favourite too!!

good heavens to betsy ross, what a cake. i doubt it could ever be topped–your hubby has good taste. :)

38. And isn’t the Wild Boar a smart one?! What an interesting cake!!! The goat cheese with the carrot sounds delicious!

39. Jude 39

I do believe I’m going to steal that goat cheese frosting from you. can’t wait to try it :)

40. Wow, this looks delish! It would have certainly been a great follow up to the Moroccon spiced short ribs I made this evening! Oh how I love that dish! Did I thank you? What, only 3 times already? I wish you a Happy New Year!

I’m getting caught up on your blog, and lordy, lordy this cake sounds amazing. I love the goat cheese addition! Carrots beware … I want this cake!

42. Dear God I’m salivating!

43. jillian 43

Oh my, this is my idea of a perfect cake!

44. Marcie Karlin 44

I made this cake today, but I substituted 1/2 C. applesauce for 1/2 of the oil. It turned out very well with that substitution. The frosting with the goat cheese was one of the best I’ve ever tasted! I highly recommend this recipe.

45. Gen Smiley 45

This looks incredible! Something that everyone could enjoy! I am both lactose intolerant and allergic to cow’s milk, so when I saw the words “goat cheese” in the title, it caught my attention right away. :) The butter I can easily replace with Earth Balance butter-type spread which I often cook and bake with, but I didn’t realize this recipe would require both goat cheese and traditional cream cheese. Do you think the cream cheese could be replaced with something else?