Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs

As the weather has finally turned Fall-ish in my part of the world, I have been craving, craving, craving stews, meats, braises, roasts…basically anything hearty.

When I saw these Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs I knew I would be making them soon.  First, I adore beef short ribs and anything Moroccan reminds of the flavors I once experienced first-hand while in Casablanca.  However, what intrigued me was these ribs were made in a slow-cooker, which is not my favorite kitchen appliance.  But I figured I’d give it a try.

It was worth it.

Let’s make them together…

Here’s what you will need:  Beef short ribs, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground turmeric, ground cumin, salt, beef stock (or broth), carrots, baby red potatoes or yukon golds, onion, honey, red pepper flakes, all-purpose flour, dried apricots and fresh lemon juice.  Ingredients not shown: Olive oil.

Combine 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric and 1 teaspoon salt.

Sear the ribs in 1 Tablespoon olive oil over high heat, until all sides are browned, about 7-10 minutes.  Transfer the ribs to a slow-cooker, pouring off any excess oil from the pan.

Add carrots, potatoes, 2 Tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and onion to the ribs and deglazing broth.  Simmer the ribs on high-heat until they are fork-tender and falling off the bone, about 3-1/2 hours.

Discard onion and strain any fat that has accumulated on the surface.

Whisk 6 Tablespoons flour and a 1/2 cup beef stock (broth) together and stir slowly into the slow cooker.  If you pour it all at once and do not stir well you will end up with globs of flour balls.  Add 1/2 cup dried apricots and simmer for another 1/2 hour, until thickened.  Stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice before serving.

The results are phenomenal.  The meat just flakes off the bone.

The combination of spices used and seared into the meat, gives these ribs a savory-sweet taste that is incredible.

They were awesome.  I hope you believe me.

Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs
Adapted from Cuisine at Home

The Rub:
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt

The Ribs:
2-1/2 lb. short ribs
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3-1/2 cups low-sodium beef stock (or broth), divided
3 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks (cups)
10 baby red potatoes or baby Yukon golds (2 cups)
1/2 onion, cut in half, root intact
2 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
2 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine cinnamon, ginger, cumin, turmeric and salt.  Rub the spice mix into the ribs, thoroughly coating all sides, pressing the spices into the meat as best you can.

Sear the ribs in olive oil over high heat, until all sides are browned, about 7-10 minutes.  Transfer the ribs to a slow-cooker, pouring off any excess oil from the pan.  Deglaze the pan with 3 cups beef stock or broth, scraping all bits from the bottom, transfer to the slow-cooker, pouring over the ribs.

Add carrots, potatoes, honey, red pepper flakes, and onion to the ribs and deglazing broth.  Simmer the ribs on high-heat until they are fork-tender and falling off the bone, about 3-1/2 hours.

Discard onion and strain any fat that has accumulated on the surface.

Whisk flour and a 1/2 cup beef stock (broth) together and stir slowly into the slow cooker.  If you pour it all at once and do not stir well you will end up with globs of flour balls.  Add dried apricots and simmer for another 1/2 hour, until thickened.  Stir in lemon juice before serving.

1. O.K. I am officially appointing my Hubby to make this ! He will do this recipe justice, and he knows how to serve it and with what wine! Thanks again Noble Pig. And by the way, where are you going that you need and airline ticket ? Just being nosy…

Wow. That looks amazing.

3. This is a winner! I have seen other Morrocan recipes that call for raisens and that won’t do in my family but the apricots will! Sounds great with all those spices.

4. That looks so good and easy to do. I have everything here except the short ribs. Yum

5. Nice…this would be perfect on a cold, snowy day!

6. Yum. Yum. Yum.

7. I love cooking this time of year! Looks delish–I will add it to my queue!

8. Becky 8

Well, you haven’t steered us wrong yet. This looks delicious. I just hope it tastes as good as it looks.
    I have faith!

I love the big pieces of carrot and potatoes, this is great! I have pretty much all the ingredients too except the ribs. Still haven’t found the plum jam for the chicken recipe, but I’m still looking!

10. Marlene 10

I may have to make this dish on Sunday…I wish you site had smellovision…Dang, now I am starving.

Will you adopt me?

Have a great weekend.

Marlene

11. Yum! Those look amazing! Thank goodness for slow cookers!

12. That looks delicious. I can smell the spices from here. Don’t you just love taking pictures of spices with gorgeous, rich colors like that?

But, but…they’re ribs. I don’t do ribs. I’ve only taken a bite of dh’s a few times, never had them myself. They just look soooo messy and difficult to deal with while eating. I don’t like foods that are difficult to handle. And do they even have enough meat on them to be worth it? I don’t eat chicken wings for the same reason. Maybe, just maybe I will give this a try though since you made it look so wonderful. Mentioning Morocco helps, too. I’ve always wanted to visit Morocco and I do enjoy letting my tastebuds travel when I can’t.

13. Suzette 13

Whether I try your recipes or not, I always enjoy the posts so much. Your food prep photography is superb. I consider myself a pretty decent photographer, but illustrating a recipe is one knack I just don’t have. You’ve got the touch! Makes me WANT to make this – even if it’s way too much for this one-person family. :)

14. Casey 14

Ok, you. I am always excited when you post a new recipe and my expectations are always exceeded! Where do you get this stuff?! I am making this (AND the lazy taxpayer burgers)! I am salivating…this is my weekend project for sure.

15. Steph 15

I too have been craving a dish like this, and I think this one will serve the purpose just well.

16. Louise 16

A trip to Morocco is not in my future, but this dish sure is!

17. i totally but toally believe you
    looks absolutely great

next time be an esoteric elitist snob like me and grind all your own spices and use real broth you made. like in all your spare time. heheheheeeeh

18. Oh my stars! That looks wonderful.

19. I’m guessing these would be even better the second day, but there probably weren’t any leftovers!

20. Just dropped by again to say hello. Hope you have a good weekend, Cathy !

21. they LOOK awesome. i believe you.

I am totally inspired to break out the slow cooker I got as a wedding gift that i have now used twice. this is exciting!

22. ELRA 22

Wow, look who’s cooking? And not just an average cooking, it’s Moroccan! How delicious! I love Moroccan food very very much, Cathy.

23. Teri 23

Yay… Cathy’s Back to cooking! See we’re all cheering!

I am so glad you put a Slow Cooker recipe in! I am always looking for something besides the basic stew that my family is sick of! This looks much more excited and probably makes the house smell so good! Thank you! It looks pretty in the dish too.

24. Tash 24

wow this looks so good. I want to try this. You are a noble pig…take that Laura…just kidding
    I liked the controversy it spiced up the Post Traumatic Election Disorder I was going through

It’s rainy and cold here in Oregon and I want to make something warm and inviting. This stew looks really delicious and comforting.

Yummy. I can just imagine how good this smells cooking. And then the eating? My Lord, it’s enough to make me drive my lazy bum to the grocery store right now.

27. Oooooh I just LoOoOoOove a yummy stew. This has a new twist of flavor that I can’t wait to try. I think I even have some Morrocan music to enhance the dining atmosphere. Alas, I have no slow-cooker. I gave the wedding gift away YEARS ago after attempting all the boring canned-soup-based recipes older cooks lavished on me with praise — ICK! I am sure I can nurse this stew along in my french oval on a low, low flame. Can smell it already!

28. Seriously thats looks AMAZING

29. Absolutely fantabulous! These Moroccan short ribs look to-die-for!

30. I believe you!! The rub combines (almost) everything that is good in the world.

I have starred this recipe. We always stick with the same old stew and I think it’s time to kick it up a few notches.

31. vanessa 31

I wonder if I should invest in a slow cooker… I have a feeling it wouldn’t be my favorite appliance either, but I have seen some recipes I would try if I had one. And I believe you that it was good.

32. Marysol 32

Cathy, I haven’t had short ribs in years, and your results make me wonder why I hadn’t, as I love them too.

Your pictures are always inspiring. And with your recipe, I think I’ll treat the family to short ribs this fall.

33. I just adore shortribs and this sounds like wonderful way to prepare them!

Mmmm, I swear I can smell that cooking. It does look very comforting indeed. I must try this.

Oh, I believe, I believe! These look terrific. I’ve never prepared beef like that, and now I know this will go on the list of things to make. I bet it just smelled divine as it cooked! YUM!

I love ribs, but hate the bones, and can’t give the bones to my dog because he’s so enormous that he breaks them with his teeth. Seriously. But maybe I can turn this into a stew idea. It’s turning colder, and soup/stew is one of my favorite things for combatting cold weather blues!

37. I loved it from the first picture.
    Copied the recipe and some Sunday we will have it I’m sure.

38. dlyn 38

Wow – that looks so good Cathy! [adding short ribs to my grocery list]

Looks fabulous! I’ve never tried making this before, but you make it look so enticing, I feel compelled to try it.

40. Vicki 40

I don’t own a slow cooker, but I’m going to try this in a low oven. Looks absolutely delicious!

41. medstudentwife 41

I’m just droooling… some of my favorite taste combinations !!!

I don’t have a slow cooker, so will figure another way of cooking these babies :D

42. ohhh lawdy,,,,,puhleeze come see me and cook for me and I’ll drool all over and call you blessed,,,,yum yum yum

43. Oh yum! You always make the tastiest things!

44. katie 44

I love short ribs, I think they are delicious but it is hard to get them to taste like anything other than a great pot roast. This looks just different enough to accomplish that!

this’d warm a person up, body and soul. it looks glorious, cathy, and good call with the cinnamon. :)

46. Lori 46

Wow, that finished bowl of short ribs and veggies looks SO good!!

47. Melissa 47

I do believe you. I have a recipe for slow cooker ones in my current bon appetit. Definitely on the horizon. Short ribs were one of my favorite recipes I learned last year. SO good. Your pictures look scrumptious.

48. I love short ribs and can just imagine how good these would taste in a slow cooker! The meat would just fall off the bone!

49. I swear, every time I come here, I leave drooling. Every. Time.

50. Cathy, that looks to die for!!!!

51. These look… amazing. You can certainly tell that the meat falls off the bone and is tender as can be. Wonderful comfort food for sure.

52. This one looks like another winner! I love Moroccan flavors and short ribs…well, nuff said! Gotta dig out the crock pot!

53. mikky 53

this recipe looks so awesome!!! thanks for sharing… :)

54. I believe you and MUST TRY THIS. A nice Malbec or Tempranillo would go great with this dish!

I’m surprised you are not a fan of the slow cooker. I love it!

55. MsMVNJ 55

Yum!!! I make a similar dish with beef shanks or lamb shanks…try them sometime!

56. John G 56

Made this last night, it was very good. The meat just fell off the bone, the family thought I was a genius.

Omigod, I believe you. These look sooo good….

My house smells amazing right now–thanks again for sharing this recipe.

59. melly 59

Hi Cathy!
    I’ve been so busy lately but today I finally took the time to catch up on my favorite blogs.

This stew looks fantastic! I’m always looking for new winter-y dishes and this one certainly fits the bill. And as always, beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

60. Wow! I made this last night and it was sublime! It was easily one of the best dishes I have ever made! It was so easy too! The only ingredients I had to run out for was short ribs and dried apricots. The smell…oh the smell while cooking was heavenly! I have been thinking about it all day and I can’t wait to have it for dinner again tonight!

Next up is that fantastic looking pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze! I am so looking forward to making that!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this recipe!!!

61. sameera 61

this recipe was absolutely delicious!!!! my friends 3 year old daughter was over and evens he ate it with such gust! thank you!

62. unmuse 62

Oh my these were fantastic. I added molasses instead of honey (because I’d used the last in my tea) and they were gobbled up in seconds. Thank you!

63. Kelley 63

Made these today, my husband and I agree they are the best food Ive ever made!!! DELISH!!!!!!! Thank you!

64. jennefer nary 64

Are you serious? Meat off the bone has so much more flavor than boneless cuts. Honestly, I choose quality over quantity. I’m making this tonight because I happened to snag a couple of cheap beef ribs at the store earlier. I will definitely let you know how good it is. :) This is the kind of meal that I’d invite someone special over to share. I’m just saying, you are missing out!