Taco inspired soup that gives even the tastiest chili a run for its money. This is thick and satisfying soup has a tomato-salsa base and the ground beef is seasoned with taco spices. Added texture comes from corn and black beans. It’s both pantry and budget friendly. Imagine classic American ground beef tacos transformed into a heartwarming soup.
Taco Soup Recipe
Very quick and easy taco soup recipe, loaded with all the pantry staples you likely already have at home. You can also make this soup in the slow cooker (instructions below) and have it ready for later in the day.
This hearty soup has lots of robust flavor and comes together so quickly, making it so perfect for a busy weeknight.
I love garnishing mine with a handful of Fritos for the perfect crunch, but anything goes!
Taco Soup in a Crockpot (alternative)
You can easily make this soup in a crockpot if you’re wanting a meal that’s ready when you get home, however you still need to brown the ground beef and a few other ingredients in a skillet before tossing them in the crockpot.
The recipe card at the end of the post is for the stove top instructions and is ready in about 40 minutes.
- After browning the ground beef, onion, garlic and jalapenos on the stove, drain any excess oil from the pan.
- Add beef mixture and remainder of ingredients to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
- You can easily substitute ground chicken, ground turkey or plant-based meat for the ground beef.
- Feel free to substitute beef or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Alternatives for black beans could be pinto or kidney beans.
- There are lots of available flavors of Rotel. This will change the flavor of the soup if decide to sub in a different one.
- Feel free to add rice and elbow macaroni to the soup if you choose.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings there are so many choices: sour cream, cheese, Fritos, jalapenos, cilantro, green onion, olives, red onion and fresh tomatoes to name a few.
- This recipe is easily doubled.
- If reheating and soup is thicker than you would prefer, thin out with more broth.
- This soup can be frozen in a tightly sealed container for 4-6 months.
More Hearty Soups To Make
A bowl of hearty soup is a must on a chilly day. Enjoy the warm and satisfying flavors as you savor each spoonful, leaving you feeling nourished and satisfied.
- Dill Pickle Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Tortellini Soup
- Pork Ramen
- Skinny Italian Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Corn and Salsa Tortilla Soup
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! Take a snapshot and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM so I can see how it turned out.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW.
ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
- 1 lb. ground beef (93/7)
- 1 cup diced, white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, deveined and diced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups (28 ozs) jarred salsa (your favorite brand)
- 2 cans original Rotel (cans are 10 oz. each)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 packages taco seasoning (packets are 1 oz. each)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, garlic and jalapeno until beef is cooked through and is no longer pink. Strain beef to remove excess oil. Once drained, move beef mixture to a large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the beef mixture.
- Simmer on medium heat uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let the soup rest for 20 minutes with the lid on before serving.
- Garnish each bowl with all your favorite taco toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply