An easier way to enjoy pecan pie – these Pecan Pie Bars are bite-sized, with a short bread crust and made to serve a crowd. No pie skills necessary!
Easy Pecan Pie Bars Recipe
Pecan pie is not just for Thanksgiving, but can be enjoyed year-round, especially when served in bar form!
Who knew the best way to eat pecan pie would be with your hands.
Pecan pie is something we mostly associate with Thanksgiving, but over the years I’ve found it’s one of my favorite desserts year round. Making it into bars is a great way to bring a sturdy, easy to serve dessert to almost any entertaining situation.
Ingredients for Pecan Pie Bars
Most ingredients for this recipe are pantry staples you likely already have in your kitchen.
all-purpose flour – used to make the shortbread crust
salted and unsalted butter – one for the crust and the other is for the filling. The best flavor in baking comes from using European butter such as Kerrygold.
sugar – brown sugar and granulated sugar…the granulated sugar is used in the crust and the filling will have a combination of brown and granulated sugar.
cornstarch – used in the crust and to thicken the filling
eggs – make sure to use large sized eggs
vanilla/salt – flavor boosters
heavy whipping cream
maple syrup – sweetness, flavor and used for thickness
pecans – the most important ingredient in this recipe
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) PECAN PIE BARS RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY!
Do Pecan Pie Bars Require Refrigeration?
You can keep them at room temperature, but the filling will soften. For really clean slices initially, you’ll want to chill them, it’s up to you whether you keep them in the refrigerator after slicing.
They are nice at room temperature and if you decide to serve them with ice cream they are very nice when slightly warmed.
Bars can be wrapped individually or the whole pan of bars can be wrapped as a whole.
Wrap them at least twice with saran wrap and foil and freeze them for up to three months.
You can thaw pecan pie bars in the refrigerator overnight or place them in the oven at 300 degrees F until they are warm and gooey.
The dough for the crust will be very crumbly while mixing with a mixer. Mixing by hand can help to incorporate the ingredients together.
Dough crust will be very soft, velvet-like to the touch after it’s baked.
Refrigerating bars before slicing is key to getting clean slices.
These bars are delicious on their own or served with vanilla ice cream! If serving with ice cream, warm each one slightly in the microwave, it’s so good that way.
More Pecan Recipes To Try
- Easy Pecan Pie Cobbler
- Crunchy Maple-Banana-Pecan Breakfast Muffins
- Mint Julep Brownies with Candied Pecans
- Kahlua-Pecan-Brown Sugar Baked Brie
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Filling:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup real maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a stand or hand mixer, mix all ingredients together for the crust until fully incorporated.
- When dough is completely mixed, press into the bottom of a 9 x13 casserole dish by hand. Be sure to press the mixture firmly into the dish, covering the entire bottom evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. When done, set the crust aside and do not turn off the oven.
- In another medium mixing bowl, with a large wooden spoon, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and cornstarch. Toss until ingredients are fully incorporated. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cream and syrup. Combine sugar and egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add in butter; stir until melted. (Tip...slice butter into tablespoon pieces so it melts faster.) Stir in vanilla and pecans. Make sure pecans are completely coated and incorporated into the mixture.
- Pour pecan mixture over the top of the crust. Spread evenly and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool until bars reach room temperature then chill in the refrigerator for 6+ hours before slicing.
- When cooled, slice into twelve or sixteen bars. Remove from pan using a spatula and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.