Sparkling Ginger Matcha Lemonade is the quintessential sip of summer! This deliciously, refreshing lemonade gives the Starbucks version a run for its money.
Benefits of Drinking Green Tea Matcha
Adding matcha to teas, smoothies and even desserts has become pretty trendy over the years. Are you living a matcha lifestyle? I have to admit I prefer it as an afternoon pick-me-up mixed with coconut milk and a little bit of honey.
Matcha, by itself, is a type of green tea made by using young tea leaves and grinding them into bright green powder and whisking them with hot water. Unlike regular green tea which is made by infusing tea leaves with water and then removing them before consuming the tea. With matcha, you’re drinking the whole tea leaves and holding on to all the powerful nutrients.
Matcha contains a class of antioxidants called catechins and has its highest concentration in a catechin known as EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate). This particular catechin is believed to have cancer-fighting effects on the body. There have been studies linking matcha to an array of health benefits, such as helping to prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer and even encouraging weight loss in some individuals. While this is hopeful, please note these studies were not clinical trials, but population based studies done on those who drink matcha regularly and those who don’t. But we can have hope!
Other matcha benefits include its natural richness in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins, while providing doses of vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium. Many matcha enthusiasts praise its mood enhancing abilities, while aiding in concentration.
Matcha Lemonade Ingredients
Here is your list of the ingredients for Sparkling Ginger Matcha Lemonade recipe:
- fresh ginger root – found in the produce section, look for a firm, moist piece of root that feels heavy for it’s size. Don’t worry if the ends are a little dry and shriveled, that is just where the root was broken off.
- water – only use tap water if it is one you would drink since this is going to be the base of your syrup. Otherwise use some type of filtered or bottled water.
- cane sugar – otherwise known as turbinado sugar
- matcha green tea powder – buy the best you can afford, good quality matcha has a smoother taste
- fresh lemon juice – make sure to squeeze your own lemons
- your favorite sparkling water – any brand you like, gives the lemonade a little fizz factor for a refreshing taste
How To Make Matcha Lemonade
It doesn’t take much to make this delicious lemonade. If you’ve enjoyed Starbucks version of matcha lemonade, I guarantee you’re going to love the refreshing sparkling-ginger twist on my version that is not as cloyingly sweet.
1. You’re going to use a small saucepan to boil your fresh ginger root with water. This is going to be the base of your syrup.
2. While the ginger is simmering, combine cane sugar and matcha powder in a liquid measuring vessel. Choose a vessel large enough to be able to stir in the ginger infused water once it’s ready.
3. After ten minutes of boiling the fresh ginger and water together, use a slotted spoon to remove all sliced ginger from the ginger-infused water. There is going to be some residual ginger pulp in the water. If you mind it, strain the liquid through a fine, mesh sieve, otherwise leave it as is.
4. Pour the ginger-infused water over the matcha-sugar and immediately begin stirring to dissolve the sugar into the warm mixture. Keep stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved in the hot water. Allow this to cool to room temperature. Or you can refrigerate it until later.
5. When it comes time to serve, add 1-2 oz. of the matcha-ginger syrup to a drinking glass (start with less and add more if desired). Fill a large glass with ice followed by 2-3 oz. of fresh lemon juice.
6. Top each serving with plain sparkling water and garnish with a lemon slice.
GET THE COMPLETE (PRINTABLE) SPARKLING GINGER MATCHA LEMONADE RECIPE BELOW. YOU’RE GOING TO ENJOY EVERY SIP!
Why You Should Include More Fresh Ginger in Your Diet
One ingredient that sets this lemonade apart from other matcha lemonade recipes is the use of fresh ginger. It provides such a great flavor enhancement I know you’re going to love.
Not only does fresh ginger add a spice character to this lemonade, but it’s one the healthiest spices on our planet.
The unique and pleasantly intoxicating fragrance and flavor of ginger come from its natural oils, the most important of which is gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
There are studies favoring ginger as an effective ingredient when it comes to reducing symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Ginger has also been shown to lower blood sugar levels and improve some heart disease risk factors in people with type 2 diabetes.
Between the ginger and the matcha, this lemonade is practically health food!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need to Peel the Ginger?
You do not. Just slice the ginger and add to the pot with the skin on. If any skin is left in the water, you can strain the mixture before mixing it with the match-sugar.
Why Use Cane Sugar vs. Granulated Sugar?
I prefer using cane sugar since it is less processed than regular white sugar, but you do not have to use it. You can use regular granulated sugar in the same proportion.
Can I Make a Whole Pitcher?
You can easily mix all the ingredients together, however, do not add the sparkling water to the pitcher. Wait to top off each individual glass.
Can I Double Or Triple the Recipe?
Absolutely! Make as much as you like.
In Need of More Delicious Beverage Recipes?
- Copycat Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Peach Lemonade
- Cinnamon-Orange Iced Tea
- Harry Potter’s Butterbeer
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Sparkling Ginger Matcha Lemonade
- 2 inches (30 g) freshly, sliced ginger root
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 5 large lemons)
- favorite sparkling water
- sliced lemon for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add sliced ginger and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cane sugar and matcha in a liquid measuring cup that will be large enough to stir in the ginger infused water later.
- After 10 minutes of simmering the fresh ginger and water, use a slotted spoon to remove the sliced ginger from the ginger-infused water. Strain through a fine, mesh sieve if desired.
- Carefully pour the ginger-infused water over the matcha sugar and immediately begin stirring. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved in the hot water. Allow this to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, add 1-2 oz. of the matcha-ginger syrup to a drinking glass (start with less and add more if desired). Fill glass with ice followed by 2-3 oz. of fresh lemon juice. Top each serving with sparkling water and garnish with a lemon slice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.