Super easy Frito Pie made right on the stove top and dinner is ready in fifteen minutes.
Easy Stove Top Frito Pie
Frito pie, can be made with homemade or canned chili, Just add cheese and spoon on top of a plate or bag of Frito corn chips. Frito pie is popular in the midwestern and southwestern part of the United States. There are so many variations you can
make with this dish and the addition of garnish possibilities are endless.
Sometimes this yummy dish is also called, “Walking tacos”, or a “Frito boat”. You can also open small bags of Fritos, add the chili to the bag and stir. Eat it right out of the bag, kids really love doing that.
However you choose to make, it’s one of those dinner ideas everyone loves.
Ingredients for Frito Pie
A full list of ingredients and instructions are located at the bottom of the page.
- Chili con carne with beans – you can make this recipe with your favorite canned chili or use a homemade version
- Rotel – fire-roasted version
- smoked paprika – make sure it’s a smoked version
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- table salt
- Fritos corn chips – any flavor you prefer
- yellow onion – white onion works too
- cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Frito Pie
Step one: In a large skillet, heat together chili, onions, tomatoes, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, and salt. Stir and heat through to a light simmer. Turn down to medium/low heat and place cheese on top and let it melt. (You can also place a lid on top to melt the cheese if needed.)
Step two: On a plate, place a large handful of Fritos and spoon the chili on top. Sprinkle with more cheese if you want, and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
To store any leftovers, let the chili cool and place in an air tight container. Place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Place in a microwavable dish and heat for 2-3 minutes until hot, stirring halfway through. Lay on top of a handful of Fritos and garnish with sour cream if desired. Or reheat on the stove in a small pan and heat on
medium until bubbly.
What Are Some Variations I Can Make with Frito Pie?
- can be made with or without beans in the chili
- add salsa
- refried beans
- hot sauce
- green or red onions
- enchilada sauce
- you can also use flavored Fritos
- add rice
- you can scoop Fritos and eat this as a dip
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Easy Stove Top Frito Pie
- 2 (14 oz) cans chili con carne with beans or 4-1/2 cups homemade chili
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped into smallish chunks
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel fire roasted diced tomatoes and green chiles with juices
- 1 tbsps smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (9 oz) bag Fritos corn chips
- In a large skillet, heat together chili, onions, tomatoes, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, and salt. Stir and heat through to a light simmer. Turn down to medium/low heat and place cheese on top and let it melt. (You can also place a lid on top to melt the cheese if needed.)
- On a plate, place a large handful of Fritos and spoon the chili on top. Sprinkle with more cheese if you want, and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.