This Cool Ranch Doritos Cheese Soup is going to make you the most popular person in your house. The authentic flavor of a favorite chip can now be eaten with a spoon. Who even knew that was even possible? It wasn’t until now. See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.
If you’re anything like me, if there is a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos open in my house, I’m unable to do anything until that bag is empty. I guess you could say I have an addiction to these chips. They are impossible for me to put down once I start in on them. It’s a curse.
A couple of months ago, while I was indulging in yet another bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, I started daydreaming about making a cheese soup that tasted like these chips. I began poking around, looking for recipes for homemade Cool Ranch Doritos.
Lucky me, I came across one of my very talented friends who had successfully made a batch of Homemade Cool Ranch Doritos that her family loved. One of the ingredients she used was dried tomato powder, something I had never seen at the store and I couldn’t locate any at my local markets. It is in fact an ingredient listed on the bag of the chips.
I spent the next couple of months testing this recipe with a variety of seasonings and varying the amounts of each one. I finally settled on the recipe I’ve published here. And you know what, the dried tomato powder is necessary to achieve the authentic Cool Ranch flavor.
I mail ordered mine and you get a decent sized container. Best part is, you have enough to make a lot of soup as well as the homemade chips. It’s a win-win situation. Let’s face it, it’s Cool Ranch Doritos…you need to go all out. The tomato powder is a versatile spice, with a concentrated flavor. It plays nicely in a lot of different dishes and you will find yourself using it often.
Just a few chips on top add a nice crunch to the creamy soup.
Here you can see the specs of ingredients in the soup, every single one is very important to get the right flavor, so don’t leave any out.
The soup is rich and delicious. Serve it in one cup portions as a side to a sandwich or salad. Serve it as a larger portion, adding rotisserie chicken to the bowl, making it a complete meal.
Cool Ranch Doritos Cheese Soup
- 1/3 cup Ranch seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons dried tomato powder
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (15 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 16 oz shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Cool Ranch Doritos for garnish
- In a small bowl combine Ranch seasoning, tomato powder, taco seasoning, granulated garlic and onion, paprika and dry mustard. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until softened; about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until fully incorporated with the onion. Add chicken broth and previously made seasoning. Bring to a decent simmer and whisk in cream and milk until fully incorporated. Whisk in cheese until fully melted. Remove from heat and serve.
- Garnish with Cool Ranch Doritos on top.
- Note: This is a rich and tasty soup. Plan to serve in one cup portions with your favorite sandwich or add rotisserie chicken to the soup to make it a complete meal.
Other Recipes Using Doritos You Might Like:
- Chicken-Doritos Quesadillas
- Layered Doritos Casserole
- Dorito Crusted Chicken Bites
- Doritos Crusted Cheddar Cheese Sticks