Traveling to Louisiana has always been on my bucket list. I can’t believe I’ve never been there…GASP…but, I’ve been close: Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi. Something has always come up, making it impossible for me to visit the “Bayou State”.
Louisiana blue crab meat happens to be lower in calories than king crab, but boasts more iron than snow or Dungeness crab meat. At 80 calories per 3.5 ounce portion, it has half of the USDA daily allowance for protein. I’ll take that!
Lucky for us this gorgeous, jumbo lump blue crab is available year round. Find out where you can get yours.
This stunning gratin recipe, put together by Louisiana Seafood, is filled with fresh ingredients and flavorful cheeses.
A beautiful and easy to make roux is the bridge bringing together the produce, cheeses and crab into one stunning recipe.
Little stoneware gratin dishes are perfect for serving. Creme brulee dishes also work well. I placed mine on two trays in the oven so they were easy to put in and take out.
Like any gratin, a flavorful and crunchy topping is part of the package. This one does not disappoint.
Make the crust as thick as you prefer. As the gratin begins to bubble up from the bottom, it will incorporate into the breadcrumbs nicely.
It’s no secret Louisiana is known for its celebratory nature. I have no doubt each meal is a social event in and of itself. I imagine friends, neighbors and families gathering around outdoor tables for crawfish boils, barbecued oysters and abundant shrimp feasts I can only picture in my dreams.
Louisiana’s unique geographical features include a complex system of waterways that include two-alluvial deltas, rich estuaries, brackish bayous and lakes meeting the Gulf of Mexico.
Louisiana Blue Crab Gratin
- 2 lbs Louisiana blue crab meat, jumbo lump
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups minced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup small diced green bell peppers
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Original TABASCO® brand pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 loaves French bread, sliced and toasted
- Divide crab mixture into 12 buttered gratin dishes. Top each generously with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 12-15 minutes and then place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve with sliced toasted French bread.
It’s impossible to take one bite.
What Louisiana Seafood recipe would you like to try?
Let me know in the comments below for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.