Here’s a little secret….I am ADDICTED to almond butter. From the first time I tasted it, I kind of fell to my knees. For me it’s so much better tasting than regular peanut butter, just no comparison.
And since it’s my birthday, I wanted to make something I loved, just for me. Let’s face it, I’m not really into having birthday’s anymore, I don’t want to get any older. But it is a nice day to enjoy the things I love.
My favorite way to eat almond butter is slathered on a banana. It’s the best snack ever. I love it’s complex and creamy taste. Have you ever tried it with toasted coconut? It’s kind of awesome.
This is also one of those ice creams you can throw together within an hour. Since there are no eggs it goes directly from the mixer to the ice cream freezer in just minutes.
For the crunch, I just added one of my favorite granolas. Please note the almonds you see in the first picture were picked out of the granola and not sent through the ice cream machine (that would not work, however you could stir them in if you wanted). Only the granola oats were sent through. I also used vanilla bean paste because I think it really stands out in a recipe and you get all those vanilla bean bits.
Hope you can make this soon. If chocolate and almonds is your thing, a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips would work well too.
Almond Butter Crunch Ice Cream
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or regular vanilla
- 1 cup vanilla almond crunch granola (large almonds removed) or your favorite granola
- Add almond butter, sugar and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend on medium speed for at least five minutes. Add cream, milk and vanilla and mix another 2 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Add cream mixture to the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Right before removing add your favorite granola and let mix in. (If your granola has large chunks, just stir it in rather than pour into the ice cream maker while it's running.)
- Place into a container when done and freeze for another 3 hours in the freezer.
Two Years Ago: Birthday Sheet Cake