Streuseled Honey-Butter Breakfast Muffins
Servings: Makes 10 muffins
For the muffin batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- To make the streusel, place all ingredients in a small bowl. With your fingers, mix together until a crumb-like texture occurs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray. You could also use paper-liners if you choose.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another smaller bowl combine egg, milk, butter and honey. (If your milk is very cold you are going to harden the melted butter when you mix them together. This is why I suggest room temps. However, if your wet ingredients seize up for any reason when you mix them together, you could warm them slightly until they are mixable again. One minute on the stove top over low heat and you should be fine.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle each cup with streusel and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove each muffin individually with a knife or fork inserted around the edge. Serve warm if you can and with extra honey.