BBQ Short-Rib Sliders with Whiskey-Bacon Barbecue Sauce
Servings: Makes about 25 sliders
For the meat:
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 6 pounds boneless beef short ribs
For the whiskey-bacon sauce
- 1/2 pound Carlton Farms, thick-cut smoked bacon, or your favorite bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon spice mix (reserved from rib recipe above)
- 1/3 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
- 4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/3 cup reserved juice from rib recipe above.
- romaine lettuce
- slider buns
- Add stock and wine to the slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salt, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, mustard powder and dark brown sugar. Reserve 1 Tablespoon of this mixture for the barbecue sauce. Add spice mix to the liquid in the slow-cooker and stir until incorporated. Add the meat, it should be completely covered in liquid (maybe a couple little pieces will stick out, it's okay). Turn slow-cooker on low for 8.5 hours. When finished, remove meat to a large cutting board and shred with two forks. Reserve 1/3 cup of the broth the meat cooked in for the barbecue sauce. Place shredded meat back into the slow cooker to keep warm.
- For the barbecue sauce, heat a large, heavy-pan over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until bacon is browned and beginning to crisp. Add onion, cooking until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and crushed garlic. Cook about 2 minutes more. Add the rest of the ingredients (not the lettuce and buns, obviously) and bring to a very low simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sauce to meat and incorporate fully. Place on slider buns and top with romaine lettuce.