You still have time to pull this one last joke off. It will only take about a minute of your life to throw this together. Okay, maybe a few more minutes than that, but this is really EASY.
Today was your typical Sunday morning…raining and dreary, sleepy-eyed kids under blankets on the couch playing with their electronic devices…..UNTIL….I screamed there was a rattlesnake under the couch (I can be very convincing)!! The kids flew 10 feet in the air running away and tried only TO SAVE THE DOG. They totally left me and their Dad in the dust to fight off this faux, deadly and venomous snake. Whatever.
I, of course, waited until they looked completely freaked out as I was standing on top of a chair screaming to run for their lives, and then I said it….April Fools! Ha-ha-he-he-ho-ho. They were so mad, mostly because I think they forgot about the whole April Fools thing. Got em’. Again. As I do every year.
So, to make it up to them, because they were so mad and scared, I told them I would let them eat cake for breakfast. Suddenly I was popular again. They should know better.
So, I slice them a piece and they dig in with smiles….until they look at me slightly annoyed….”Mom, this is a pancake…with bacon. It’s breakfast in a different form (insert eye rolls).” Ha-ha, well yes it is boys. If you really wanted cake for breakfast, you shouldn’t have left me here for the venomous-rattler to get me. They just stared at me like I was a nut. I love it.
But really, they could hardly be upset with this “cake”. Yes, it’s a pancake, but the brown sugar-bacon topping makes it OMG A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Oh my goodness, with maple syrup on top…WOW…WOW…WOW.
Go ahead and fool your family tonight, tell them you have dessert….that’s actually breakfast!! And quite honestly, this would be perfect to serve a large crowd breakfast, it’s really good.
April Foolery Cake
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a 12" ovenproof skillet (I used cast iron), fry bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Pour grease out of pan, reserving 2 Tablespoons in the pan. Sprinkle bacon evenly back into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the bacon.
- In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix and water just until incorporated. Pour batter into the skillet on top of bacon and brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before flipping over onto a serving tray, it will fall right out of the skillet.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Three Years Ago: Sausage Meatloaf Cupcake with Creamy Potato Frosting ~ more April Foolery
Four Years Ago: Butterscotch-Apple Cake