A classic dessert turned cocktail, this Raspberry and Fuzzy Peach Melba will rock your summertime bar. It’s amazing what rum and fresh summer fruit can do!
I’ve been visiting the grocery store lately to hoard a certain seasonal fruit.
For me, the epitome of summer is signaled by the quantity and quality of peaches at the regular and farmer’s markets. I’m not picky, I love the yellow ones and the white ones. It’s hard to choose. I especially love making this Peach Coulis…it’s to die for.
One of my favorite desserts is the classic, Peach Melba, but I was feeling lazy. So, to make it easy on myself I made a cocktail. Good idea right?
It’s a bit of a twist on the old Fuzzy Navel drink’s from college made with Peach Schnapps’s and orange juice. This is of course much more civilized and has lots of fruit, so let’s just call it a health drink for now!
Here’s what you’ll need: Raspberries, spiced rum (who doesn’t have a bit of the Captain in the cupboard to use up?), fresh lime juice, peaches (fresh or frozen), water, granulated sugar and ice.
First thing you’ll want to do is make a simple syrup. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to a 1/2 cup sugar. Stir until dissolved and let cool.
Puree 1-1/2 cups raspberries (6 ounces) with 2 Tablespoons of simple syrup. Pour the puree into a separate container and rinse the blender.
Blend 1-1/2 cups spiced rum, 1 cup fresh lime juice, 3 cups of fresh peaches, the remaining simple syrup and 2 cups of ice. Make sure to add the ice last as to not lock up the blender blades. Blend until smooth. Add more ice if you want it, icy-er. (Is that a word?)
Dip the rims of your martini glasses into fresh lime juice and dip each glass in coarse sugar. Pour a little of the raspberry puree into each glass, then top with the peach mixture.
Funny how a little party-favor in your drink makes you feel giddy!
Do you see the sparkly-sugar on the rim? Don’t leave that part out.
And here’s another virtual cocktail napkin for you. I know you’ve been waiting for a new one.
Raspberry and Peach Fuzzy Melba
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz), more for garnish fresh raspberries
- 1-1/2 cups spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cups fresh peaches (or 1 bag frozen 16 oz)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water, boiling
- Dip the rims of 6-8 martini glasses (depending on the size) in fresh lime juice and coarse sugar.
- Add boiling water and sugar to a pouring vessel, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Puree raspberries and 2 Tablespoons of the simple syrup in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and rinse the blender.
- Blend rum, fresh lime juice, the remaining simple syrup, peaches and ice until smooth.
- To serve, pour a small amount of the raspberry puree into each martini glass and top off with the peach mixture. Drop in raspberries for garnish.
Other Peach Cocktails You Might Enjoy:
Frozen Peach Margaritas
Peach Basil Moscow Mule
Peach Bourbon Thyme Smash
Peach Wine Slushies