This Skinny Italian Vegetable Soup will easily become your healthy eating go-to recipe. It is packed with flavor and clocks in at only 130 calories per cup! See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.
We have been eating, eating and eating this soup. It's so delicious. Like, beyond delicious. Which is the reason we're scarfing this Skinny Italian Vegetable Soup down. The bonus just happens to be that it's only a 130 calories per cup and is packed with Vitamin A and C. It just might keep you healthy too.
I have made so many pots of this in the past few weeks it's getting kind of ridiculous. It has been our go-to lunch over here. This recipe makes a lot of soup, which is why you'll need a large, 10 quart stockpot. The soup reheats really well and will last you all week if you're the only one eating it. So, don't worry about making it if you live alone.
I left my carrots in coin shaped slices, unless the the carrot was really large then I cut them in half. I quartered the zucchini and squash into bite-sized pieces. Mostly, you want your veggies in pieces that are easy to bite and will cook quickly.
The cabbage and the spinach are stirred in last, once all the other veggies have finished cooking.
How many bowls can you eat?
I promise this will brighten your winter days.
This travels well, so bringing it to work and heating in the microwave is an absolute must!!
How to Make Skinny Italian Vegetable Soup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large (9.5 oz/270 g) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (46 oz) container Spicy Hot V8 Juice
- 3 cans (14.5 oz) less sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 zucchini -medium (14 oz/398g) quartered
- 4 carrots- medium (12 oz/340 g) sliced into coins or quarters if too large
- 1 yellow squash (10 oz/294 g) quartered
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) garbanzo beans (do not drain)
- 4 cups (9 oz/ 266 g) sliced cabbage
- 5 oz baby spinach leaves
- In a nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add oil and saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the following to a 10 quart stockpot and bring to a boil: V8 juice, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, garlic, chicken bouillon, Italian seasoning, dried parsley and pepper. As soup is coming to a boil, begin adding zucchini, carrots, squash, sauteed onions and garbanzo beans (with the liquid from the can). Boil about 15 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Turn off heat.
- Stir in cabbage and baby spinach into the hot soup. Serve.
- Notes: If you're counting calories and maybe your family is not, there are lots of additions you can make to the soup without adding them to the whole pot. Things we have found to be delicious are Crumbled or Sliced Italian sausage, ground beef or turkey, smokey bacon bits, rice, quinoa, pasta noodles and shredded Parmesan cheese. All add lots of flavor.
- Also, if the whole pot of soup is not going to be eaten, you can easily withhold the spinach from the whole pot, stirring it into each individual serving as you serve it or after you reheat a bowl. This will ensure the freshness and crispness of the spinach. I'll leave it up to you.
- Serving size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 1.7 g
- Saturated fat: 0.1 g
- Unsaturated fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Other Vegetable Soup Recipes You Might Enjoy: