I always associate deviled eggs with the holidays. I guess many people do. They are kind of the perfect passed appetizer. However, I find myself making the spread version more than the common halved lengthwise and stuffed adaptation. I like this way better and more of the egg taste we all love.
When I told my husband I was adding hummus to my deviled eggs, he told me not to. It sounded weird to him, even though he has no issue with hummus. I disagreed and felt it would be the perfect melding of flavors.
Let's face it, trendy deviled eggs are in and these were awesome. My goal was to allow the taste of the egg and the hummus to shine through. I didn't want competing flavors.
We loved them...even the husband who told me not to make them in the first place. Win for me.
When I use my method of cooking the eggs, they peel really well. They are perfectly smooth. In fact if you were making deviled eggs in their traditional form, these would be perfect to use.
I like to serve this spread with pita chips and mini pita pockets that have been quartered and toasted.
Deviled Egg-Hummus Spread
- 12 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup prepared hummus (I prefer Sabra brand)
- 1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pita chips and mini pita pockets (quartered & toasted) for serving
- fresh chives for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with water, add the vinegar and bring to a rapid boil. Cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Drain the eggs and cool them under cold running water. Leave pan full half full cold water and fill with ice. Let sit another 15 minutes, adding more ice if necessary.
- Shell the eggs and halve them lengthwise. Coarsely chop half of the egg whites and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the remaining whites and all of the yolks to a food processor along with the mayonnaise, hummus and mustard and process until smooth. Scrape the mixture into the bowl and blend with chopped egg whites. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the pita chips and pita pockets with the egg spread and sprinkle with fresh chives. Arrange them on a platter and serve. Alternatively, serve the egg spread in a bowl with the chips and pita pockets alongside.