Is everyone familiar with panettone, a sweet, Italian bread loaf, full of candied orange peel and raisins? It comes in a very tall, lofty box we only see at holiday time.
I am always excited to get my first one of the season. It's the perfect accompaniment to my afternoon coffee. The texture is reminiscent of my mom's babka recipe, another taste I love. I wish it was so easily accessible all year round. But then I guess it wouldn't be special.
Anyway, it is always nice to have Christmas morning or New Year's Day brunch prepped the night before. It makes life so much easier, especially if you have a house full of guests.
I am lucky to have a neighbor who fills my kitchen full of farm fresh eggs. Aren't they beautiful next to the rustic, panettone loaf?
When you slice into the panettone, you will see it is very light-colored and airy. It's delicious just like this.
The top is very crunchy while the bottom remains soft and custard-like. Serve with warm maple syrup and something salty like bacon or sausage.
Have a wonderful holiday breakfast!
Overnight Panettone-Eggnog French Toast
- 1 panettone (1 lb 10 oz, 750 g or 26.4 oz)
- 2 cups full fat eggnog
- 6 large eggs
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Remove panettone from wrapper and dice into 1-1/2" pieces. Set aside. In a large bowl add eggnog, eggs, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Whisk until fully combined. Add raisins and panettone. Toss until panettone is completely coated in eggnog mixture.
- Add coated panettone and any excess liquid to a 2-quart baking dish that has been coated with butter or cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for eight hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30-45 minutes prior to baking (letting it warm up slightly). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the soaked panettone bread. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.