Do you love coconut as much as I do? If you do, then these Rice Krispie Coconut Snowballs are going to make you smile. The Rice Krispies become this sugary coconut delivery system. What could be more perfect?
Now, my husband, he completely dislikes coconut. It kills me! I don't know how he lives...(he'll love that I said that too). I guess he could never live in the South with all the amazing Coconut Cream Pie he'd have to turn down. And then there's the most amazing Coconut Cake I've ever made. Swoon! He'll never know what he's missing. More for me.
This is truly a quick and easy recipe, perfect for the cookie platter. The sugary whipped egg whites keep the mixture together, letting you form the mixture into little snowballs.
During a holiday season so full of red and green, the snow white color is a welcome reprieve. It gives balance to the Christmas crazy that can sometimes take over the house. I find these cookies to be an elegant reminder of the serenity of wintertime.
Rice Krispie Coconut Snowballs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Make sure oven racks are placed in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two rimmed baking trays with parchment.
- Using the whisk attachment on your mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on medium speed until the egg whites are thick and foamy (it helps if your eggs are not extremely cold from the refrigerator). Add the confectioners' sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated. Beat at high speed until firm and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the coconut, rice krispies and cornstarch. Gently fold the egg whites into the cereal mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of the mixture about 1" apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for one hour until firm and dry to the touch. They will firm up more once removed from the oven. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remove from baking tray to cool completely.