Hello everyone…yes, it has been a while.
We have finally returned from 2 weeks of bliss in South Florida, what an incredible time we had. Just to feel the sunshine made it all worth it. As one of Johnsonville Kitchens Delicious Dish bloggers, they sent me to attend the Mom 2.0 Summit conference in Florida. We ended up turning it into a full-fledged family vacation (we really needed it). However, a conference and trip wrap-up will come later, I’m still processing all the amazing things I got to experience and can’t wait to share them with you.
In the meantime….these quesadillas….mercy. So, I’m not really a sweet girl when it comes to breakfast, I prefer savory. Now I do crave pancakes and all that other stuff but put to the wire, I would choose savory over sweet nine times out of ten.
Since Johnsonville is currently running a “Wake Up with Johnsonville” better breakfast contest, I wanted to do an entry that reflected my love of the savory breakfast. I think I REALLY hit the nail on the head. These quesadillas are over the top ridiculous in flavor…they just are….you are gonna have to trust me. It’s the perfect weekend breakfast…I want it re-created for me on Mother’s Day, a day when I don’t have to do the dishes. I’m not sure that will happen. The contest ends this Sunday, May 13, 2012. Get your entry in so you can win an 11-piece Scanpan cookware set….I know you will do well and what an awesome Mother’s Day present that would be! Then invite me over to eat…K?
Anyway, this quesadilla is going to blow your socks off. Whoever knew breakfast sausage and jalapenos were best friends in a quesadilla? Now we do. Go on with the rest of your lives, you can thank me later.
Cheesy-Sausage-Jalapeno Breakfast Quesadillas
- Cooking spray
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 8 Johnsonville "Original Recipe" breakfast sausages
- 2 cups Good quality pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Good quality extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 "soft taco" size flour tortillas
- 4 eggs any size
- Optional garnish: avocado, lime juice, sour cream, green onion and cilantro...I say optional, but really, don't leave any out.
- Start out by prepping your ingredients...shred your cheeses (do not use already shredded packaged cheese, it has an anti-caking agent that makes it less melty), slice onions and pick off cilantro leaves. Slice avocados last and drizzle lime juice all over them to keep them from turning brown.
- Using a grill pan covered with cooking spray (or any pan or method you choose), blister the outsides of your jalapeno peppers over medium heat until the peppers are soft and squishy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Rotate peppers often for best results. While peppers are cooking, begin browning sausages until all sides are brown and crispy, about 8 minutes; reserve oil made by the sausages. When peppers are done, let cool until you can handle them. Slice lengthwise in half and remove the seeds and pulp. Slice jalapenos in long, thin strips while slicing sausages into small medallions.
- Spray outside of the flour tortilla with cooking spray and assemble quesadillas by placing both cheeses, jalapenos and sausages onto half of the tortilla and closing the other half on top, in a half moon shape.
- Place tortillas on grill pan, or whatever pan you choose, cooking over medium heat until cheese is melted and outside of tortilla is brown. Meanwhile, cook eggs sunny side-up in the same pan you browned the sausages in, using the leftover oil from the sausages to fry the eggs. It's up to you how well done you choose to make your yolk. Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Serve one tortilla sliced in half with egg on top and garnish with sour cream, green onions, cilantro and avocado doused in lime juice.
You are going to love….
Disclosure: Johnsonville Kitchens provided the sausage for this post and the amazing Scanpan. Recipe and opinions are my own.
One Year Ago: Espresso Cream Cake
Four Years Ago: Hpnotiq Breeze