Kuwaiti Cinnamon-Orange Iced Tea

This is my new summer drink!!  Absolutely refreshing with great flavor and so easy to make.

The drink was inspiration from Food Network’s, Aarti Sequeira, who had a friend stationed in Kuwait that turned her on to cinnamon-flavored tea.

The tea is rich and perfumey and will be an absolute hit with your family and friends.  Make it today and quench that summer thirst.

Kuwaiti Cinnamon-Orange Iced Tea
From Aarti Sequeira

For the tea:
2 large pieces of orange peel, plus orange slices for garnish
1 large or 2 small cinnamon stick(s), plus more for garnish
8 black tea bags

For the syrup:
1 cup sugar
6 quarter-size coins peeled ginger, chopped
6 sprigs fresh mint

Make the tea:  Combine 8 cups water, the orange peel and cinnamon stick in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil.  Add the tea bags and turn off the heat.  Let steep for about 5 minutes (no more or it will be bitter), then remove the tea bags and chill the tea; don’t remove the cinnamon stick or the orange peel yet.

Meanwhile, make the syrup: Combine 1 cup water, the sugar and ginger in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil without stirring.  Once boiling, turn off the heat.  Rip the mint leaves and stalks into pieces and drop them into the syrup.  Let cool to room temperature.  Strain the syrup, discarding the ginger and mint.

Strain the tea into a pitcher.  Add the mint syrup and stir.  Serve in a tall glass over ice and garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.

One Year Ago: Banana Honey Nut Loaf

16 Comments and 1 Reply

1. pat 1

this sounds really good with some bbq.

2. Sarah 2

That tea looks so refreshing!

3. Dayna 3

A sugar-free version for us diabetics would be most appreciated. This amount of sugar is quite over the top to adjust for such dietary concerns.

• Lisa J 4

substitute stevia — about half what the recipe calls for, but taste to be sure. Stevia doesn’t disrupt your blood sugar like Splenda and aspartame do.

4. wow, that sound yummy, I’m from kuwait and we always enjoy our tea with cardemom and safron and drops of rose water .. it’s amust to try..
    love your blog and GOD bless your lovely family ..

5. Love all these flavors but have never tried them together. Sounds wonderful and refreshing! Can’t wait to try this! Thank, Chris

6. Warner 7

@Dayna, Splenda should work

7. This sounds fantastic. Love mint in almost everything especially in the summer.

8. Kitkat 9

I would think that is easily figured out yourself. Either use splenda or another fake sweetner, or dont use any sugar at all and it will be a spiced unsweetened ice tea. Kind of obvious no offense.

9. Kristin 10

Oh my gosh is this delicious! Thank you for posting it while I still have mint in my garden.

10. Lorna 11

Why so abrupt? I, too, want to make this tea without any sugar. How much spenda or other sweetener? If not making the simple syrup how does one introduce the ginger into the tea?

11. Tricia 12

Wow, this looks divine. Can’t wait to try it this weekend, thanks for sharing!

12. I want it, looks and sound ideal for summer months. I’ll try it for sure.

13. Treasure 14

Splenda is substituted cup for cup with sugar… that is, 1 cup Splenda =1 cup sugar.

I don’t know if Ginger Ale would work, although it probably will, just make sure it too, is sweetened with Splenda.

Mint and/or ginger you can steep in hot water and the sweetener can be added after the mixture has cooled, just add some of the Splenda, taste, and add more if you want it sweeter.

14. Wow I live in Kuwait and I soon as I saw the drink I was like a good thing to love 😉

15. Traci Downing 16

I have been making this tea since I came across it on Noble Pig. Wow. It’s a staple in my fridge now. I substitute with Splenda. I also started to cut down on the cinnamon (1/2 stick) because the cinnamon got too over-powering after a few hours in the fridge.

16. Looks amazing, perfect for those winter evenings!