Zucchini-Nut-Bread Cookie Sandwiches

In the words of my son, “Mom, these are awesome.”  And they were.

I have been in the mood for a good cookie, but something other than the old stand-by of chocolate chip or peanut butter.  I wanted something new and different.  When I saw these, I knew they would stay moist from the zucchini and have an incredible texture from the nuts and oats.

They were outstanding, especially with the cream cheese filling.  We all ate our fair share last night.

How perfect these zucchini bread cousins would be on a picnic, or anywhere!

Oh and I’m sure these are healthy.

Preheat oven to 350o F.  Sift flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a bowl.  Beat 1 stick butter and the sugars until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in egg and vanilla.

Beat flour mixture into butter mixture.  Stir in zucchini, oats and walnuts.  Refrigerate until firm, about one hour.

Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack.

Beat together remaining 1/2 stick butter, cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.  Spread 1 heaping Tablespoon filling onto flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich with another cookie.  Repeat with remaining filling and cookies.

Very nice cookie.

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely grated zucchini
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Using a 1-1/2″ ice cream scoop (about 2 Tablespoons), drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2″ apart.  Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes.  Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack.

One Year Ago:  Chocolate Chip Cornbread Breakfast Cake
Two Years Ago: I Have to Sit on My Hands
Three Years Ago: My Atlantis

14 Comments and 2 Replies

While on chemo, the only things that give me an appetite are your recipes. These cookies look like something I could devour! The Chicago hotdogs were awesome too!

2. laura 2

these look amazing – i saw this recipe in the magazine too and almost started drooling! yum.

3. lindsay 3

This may seem sacrilegious.. but I do not like zucchini bread. But these look absolutely to die for and I want to make them ASAP. I’m sure the zucchini makes the recipe, but would they turn out OK without the zucchini? Or should I substitute anything else?

4. Jonny 4

your son took the words out of my mouth. awesome is right. they’re like carrot cake-style cookie sandwiches, and heaven knows I love a carrot cake. i’ll take a tall glass of milk and a plate of these around 11am, please, followed by a nice nap.

5. lindsay 5

I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess it didn’t work! Anyway, these cookies look absoutely to die for. However, as sacrilegious as this may sound, I do not particularly like zucchini baked into things. Do you think this recipe would work if I omitted the zucchini? Should I replace it with something else? Carrots, perhaps? What do you think would work best?

6. mich 6

did you mean 2 and 1/2 sticks of butter to equal 1 and 1/4 cups of butter? would love to make this.

7. Noble Pig 7

Now that doesn’t make sense does it! 1-1/2 sticks or (3/4 cup)

8. Katie 8

These remind me of healthier oatmeal creme pies! Yum.

9. Oh man, I love Zuch bread. Stuffing it with cream cheese and sugar? Brilliant.

10. Samantha 10

I love you. These look amazing. Zucchini is one of my staple crops in the summer and well these cookies look like a winner.

11. Andres 11

Hello! I just tried my hand at making these and they are currently in the oven. I was wondering, after one hour in the fridge was the dough still a little gooey? Mine didn’t thicken up anywhere near normal cookie dough. Thanks!!

12. Andres 12

Nevermind :) They turned out great! Thank you!!

13. I am not a big fan of sweets but I love zucchini. These look great!

14. Kendra Lindell 14

Do these need to be refrigerated with the filling and all? I want to take them on a road trip this weekend.