Molten Chocolate-Nutella Pudding Cakes

Hello everyone! What a busy week it has been.  Honestly I was barely in the kitchen these past few days.  So much going on!  We are in the midst of planning out the, “10-month vineyard growing season” here in Oregon.  There is so much to do and get done!!  The winter rains have grown quite a lush cover crop that needs to be mowed, equipment needs servicing, pruning of the vines will begin and most importantly, our trellis system and fruiting wire needs to be installed.

Implementing all these jobs as well as handling the wine side of the business keeps me on my toes for what seems like 24 hours a day.  Too bad we need sleep, as I could use a few extra hours of awake time to get everything done that is necessary.

However, I always need a dessert break and WOW, if you are looking to impress for Valentine’s Day or any other occasion, I highly suggest making these. Oh my goodness, you will melt into your chair after one bite.  These little cakes are complete decadence and deliciousness.  Just incredible.

They are simple to make and you will floored by the richness and contrast of flavor between the chocolate used to make the cake and the Nutella in the middle…..AMAZING!

In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking powder.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and then add chocolate.  Stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated and remove from heat.

In a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs, vanilla, sugar and salt until pale yellow, about 5 minutes.  Beat in melted chocolate mixture.  Stir in flour mixture.

Spoon half of batter into six, 6 ounce, ramekins that have been sprayed with cooking spray.  Drop 1 Tablespoon of Nutella into center of each.  Cover with remaining batter.

Begin preheating the oven to 350o F.  Place a roasting pan in the oven and add a 1/2″ of hot water to the pan.  When oven is hot, transfer ramekins to the roasting pan.  Bake until cakes have risen and are cracked on top, about 30 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.

Your reward!!

Molten Chocolate-Nutella Pudding Cakes
Adapted from All You

Serves six

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces good quality chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons Nutella

In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking powder.  Set aside.

Two Years Ago: Chicken Meatballs with Chipotle-Honey Sauce

1. Jaime 1

These look delicious.

2. Goodness girl, this could seriously blow out the waist of my pants. I am not a big dessert maker, but I am so making these, even if I have to give most of them away, so I don’t gorge myself. Nutella…brilliant!

Oh. My. Word. I sure hope you’re working hard on that vineyard, since you’ll need to do SOmething to work off the calories from these little beauties!

4. Holy Moly! That’s what I want–and it doesn’t need to bed Valentine’s Day for an excuse. ;)
    Yum-me!

5. Lisa 5

I can think of no better dessert for Valentine’s Day than a molten chocolate cake. Your addition of Nutella to it sounds like a fantastic idea. It looks like your cakes were perfection. I have a new linky on my blog called “Sweets for a Saturday” and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link this up. link to sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

6. This looks like a good reason to jump on the nutella bandwagon!

7. These are amazing Cathy!!!!!

8. nina 8

Bookmarked. This looks awesome!!!

9. I am so making these tonight…

10. laura 10

this looks like the best dessert ever! bookmarking this for valentine’s day…

11. Chris S 11

Oh wow! Definitely making these. My ten-year-old daughter and baking assistant (and fellow Nutella lover) is doing a happy dance just from seeing the title of your post. One question: what size are your ramekins? I think mine might be too large.

12. Noble Pig 12

6 ounce.

13. oh my god this looks amazing!

14. Lena in VT 14

Holy Moley Batman…must have this!

Wow, I’m salivating over this one! I don’t know if I can wait until Valentine’s Day to try this one out! Thanks for sharing this decadent and delicious recipe!

16. too good to be true!

17. Darryl in Austin 17

Oh my goodness!

18. It seems every time I open this blog I get new ideas for what I’ll make for a V-day dessert. You’re giving me all of the chocolate I could possibly want (well, almost since I can probably never have quite enough). Keep ’em coming!

19. This looks fabulous! I think I’ll have a go for Valentine’s Day…I know everyone in my family will love these!

20. Yamhill Kathy 20

To what point could I make this ahead, please? Want to be able to serve it hot but not be fussing at the last minute.

21. Megan 21

Oh double yum! Guess what I’m making this weekend. I’ll be a very popular mom! ;)

22. Debbie 22

Wow indeed. These look amazing, I have to make some! Forget Valentine’s Day… who needs an excise for nutella? :)

23. Ruthie 23

These look like the perfect valentines day dessert! I would really like to make them for my boyfriend. However, I am a college student and while I am lucky enough to have a kitchen I don’t have any ramekins. I know it’s a stretch, but is there any way to make this lovely dessert without them?

24. Katie L 24

As you suggested I am baking these for our Valentine’s dinner tonight! I do not bake often, so I am curious if I can make the batter before and leave it in the refrigerator? Or if I do make it before and cool it, should it be at room temperature before I bake?

Thanks!

25. Noble Pig 25

You want to eat these hot, otherwise they are not molten.  You can make up the batter early but do not refrigerate, it will be too hard and thick and increase the cooking time.  You also do not want the batter sitting in the ramekin with the cooking spray.  So you can make up the batter early but right before putting them in the oven is when you will want to assemble them with the nutella etc.

26. Katie L 26

THANK YOU!!

27. Amy 27

Hi!! just wanted to tell you I made these today and they were absolutely fantastic!! thank you for sharing!! :)

28. Leah 28

These were absolutely delicious. I halved the recipe since it was only my boyfriend and I eating them for V-day. They were the perfect ending to our dinner. Thanks!

29. Sally 29

I made these for valentines day & they were great! But I couldn’t find the recipe:( so glad to find it here. They were even yummy 2 days later warmed up in the microwave.

30. Samantha 30

Hello! Thank you for this recipe! I made them today for a Nutella lover’s birthday and they came out great! I agree with the suggestion that you serve them hot from the oven because they cave in on themselves if left to cool. Also be careful not to burn the chocolate when melting it with the butter (i came very close)
    I will defiantly be making this again :)