Spiced Lemon Cake

What is it about the thought of a spiced cake that just puts me into the baking mode. This morning I had a list of very important things I needed to get done. Very important. Really. Instead, I dropped the kidos off at school and slammed myself down on the couch with a cup of coffee and a back issue of Martha’s magazine. Mistake number one.

I didn’t get far until I found this recipe and immediately lugged out the stand mixer and startedthrowing it together. Am I the only who gets completely distracted by baked goods? I didn’t even finish reading the magazine. I don’t even know where it is at this point.

I think it was the cardamom that really motivated me to whip this up. Cardamom has such a unique taste with an intensely aromatic, resinous fragrance. I love it. Love it.The thought of it together with lemon was exactly what I was craving. Even though I had no idea I wanted it until I saw it. Oh well.

Anyway, if you love citrus and cardamom and cake and icing….make it! And if you’ve never tried it together…I would get on that immediately.

Preheat oven to 375o F. Butter and flour an 8″ round cake pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Beat butter, granulated sugar, zest and cardamom with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice. Reduce speed to medium-low; beat in flour mixture in 3 additions , alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter into cake pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and let cool completely.

Whisk confectioners’ sugar with remaining 3 Tablespoons lemon juice until smooth; pour over cooled cake.

If you get out a magnifying glass you can see the flecks of cardamom…they will knock your socks off. Your family will love you forever if you make this. I promise.

Spiced Lemon Cake

3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Two Years Ago: Apple Cheese Crisp

1. laura 1

wow, i’ve never heard of such a thing! it sounds fantastic.

2. Dawn 2

Oh the oozing and I adore cardamom. That spice and lemons always remind me of the holidays.

I too get distracted by baking. And I love lemon. I don’t know that I’ve ever had cardamom. It’s working its way onto my “must try” list.

4. Lea 4

You seem to bake constantly; your kitchen must always smell amazing! How is your entire family not obese? That said, can I be in your family?

5. Emma 5

I am another who can be completely distracted by baking. I just got married and should spend my evenings writing thank you cards and finding a place for that book shelf but instead I read the baking blogs by day and try out the recipes by night! This cake looks beautiful.

6. Looks delicious! And I think I stay distracted. HA HA!

7. Dorothy 7

Oh good grief, too much sweets today! I am dieing out here in Kansas. I need help or I will be 2 Tons of Blob!

8. I love lemon cake & this sounds delicious!

9. Lena in VT 9

Oh tis is nice…I think it will go with your Pinot Gris…squeal.

10. holly 10

This looks fabulous!!

11. Stephanie 11

You need to make the rosemary christmas cookies. The smell and taste will knock you off of your socks! http://www.finecooking.com

12. Mandi 12

I have been following your blog for a while now and have admired every recipe you’ve posted! Since I’m blogging now, I feel like I can actually comment and tell you how amazing your posts are! This cake looks like no exception! I love the addition of the cardamom! I must try this!

13. Elisa 13

Oh yes. I know of this distraction. I come across it multiple times a day! I have cooking and baking magazines from years ago that I will flip through til this day. So many recipes, so little time. :) This recipe will be bumped up my list, as it looks and sounds delightful! Thank you for sharing!

14. Lydia 14

I love love love lemon cakes, and it’s so nice to have a one that doesn’t resort to poppy seeds for flavoring.

15. Tom 15

My paternal grandmother made a cardamon braided coffee bread so I grew up loving it in the sweet way. Lemon is my favorite cake and I’m kicking myself that I’ve never thought to add that warm spice to it. I trust this would work in an 8 inch square tin? My round tins are 9 inches.

16. with cardamom?! I really have to try that combo.

17. Donna 17

Me too, I LOVE cardamon! It is so fragrant and wonderful. I use it in my apple pie. I love lemon cake and this combo sounds exotic and yummy. Thanks!

18. Cassie 18

OOOH this is making my mouth water!

19. Anne from Olympia 19

This cake is absolutely delicious! It tastes like a lemon bar in cake form. It was dense and fluffy at the same time. And the cardamom flavor will, as Cathy said, truly knock your socks off. I am sitting here sockless at the moment. This dessert is DELICIOUS and beautiful!!!

20. riniazimi 20

Lovely……not overly sweet. Moist. Citrisy and spice and everything nice.