Pumpkin Crumb Coffee Cake

It’s hard to stay away from all-things-pumpkin this time of year….it’s everywhere and it’s festive.

This coffee cake is a homerun winner…all pumpkiny (is that a word?) and spicy…it’s awesome. The bonus is how your house smells while baking….a true potpourri of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.

The crumb topping is also lovely, made with dark brown sugar for a deep, rich flavor.

Try it out, you’ll love it.

For the topping, in a bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add butter and combine with fingertips until mixture is crumbly. Refrigerate while making batter.

Preheat oven to 350o F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, pumpkin, vanilla and both sugars until well mixed. Whisk in eggs. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix. Pour batter into cake pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with reserved topping.

Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack at least 20 minutes.

So good.

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten

One Year Ago: Upside-Down Apple Pie

31 Comments and 2 Replies

1. Laura L. 1

Just the thing I was looking for to use up that can of pumpkin in my pantry!

2. I love coffee cake (ha… I love ANYTHING with crumb topping…) and I bet the pumpkin adds a great depth + moisture… YUM

3. I keep finding more and more pumpkin recipes to make! This looks so good.

You had me at “Pumpkin.”

5. LilSis 5

This coffee cake looks amazing! I haven’t even baked anything yet this Fall, but I’m bookmarking this now so I can make it when I’m finally in the mood to bake!

6. laura 6

thank you, thank you for posting all these delectable fall recipes! i am not going to have any trouble coming up with things to make over the coming months, thanks to you!

It looks as if this has all the flavor and texture you could as for in a coffee cake! I will save this for turkey day when I do my baking. Looks delish!

8. Angela 8

I love all these fall recipes. I could eat this sweet right now.

9. That looks divine. You know, I like all the pumpkin goodies out there–pie, cookies, you name it, but THIS is really what looks like the ultimate pumpkin dessert to me.

10. That looks so moist and delicious!

11. Never had pumpkin coffee cake before but it looks and probably smells delicious. Pumpkin always makes the house smell great!

12. Amber 12

I love coffee cake and this is perfect for this time of year.
    You seemed to enjoy the table setting posts I did the last 2 years. Although I didn’t do a table this time I have began this years posts today and for a few days. Peek if you are interested again. There were some nice ideas.

What I would give to have this for breakfast with my coffee right now. It looks amazing!

14. Dana 14

I’ve seen a lot of pumpkin coffee cake recipes lately, but this one looks so moist and dense… so perfect! I have to try it!!

15. I LOVE all things pumpkin! This looks so good-I wish I could reach out and have a piece! I am making it this weekend!
    Man, I have a lot of recipes to catch up on!

16. Pumpkin is so perfect for a crumb cake I can’t believe I haven’t seen it one before. I sometimes wish pumpkin was celebrated year round but then again that would probably take away some of its magic. Must try this – thanks for sharing!

17. We do a breakfast club with my team at school, and each Friday one person has to bring breakfast for everyone on the team (1st grade teachers). Today was my turn, so I made this deliciousness last night. It was so super easy and it is WONDERFUL. So moist and yummy. The crumbly topping is the best part! I made one alteration to the recipe: I don’t keep nutmeg or ginger on hand (I had all the other ingredients), so I substituted 2 TBSP of Pumpkin Pie Spice for all the spices listed (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg). It turned out great, tastes yummy!!

18. Susan 18

An award for you!

19. i have “finally” gotten into baking with pumpkin. Just wasn’t into it until the cheesecake actually came out good. Now I’m on a roll and need to add this bad boy to the list.

20. …you had me at crumb.

21. yum! looks amazing but i might have to double the topping:-)

22. Kristen 22

Made this yesterday and it was a HIT! link to clutteredcupcake.blogspot.com Unfortunately I forgot to get dark brown sugar, so I made due with light. As my boyfriend polished off 4 pieces & was singing me praises, I was thanking you! :)

23. MrWannaBeChef 23

Had to post to this cause:
    1) Wanted to be first guy to post to this
    2) Made a batch last night and brought into work today. Needless to say it was a huge hit.

Also, wanted to give a big shout out to this blog and similar ones that are posting numerous pics to go along with the recipe for those of us just trying to get our baking shoes wet.

24. Gina 24

I made the pumpkin coffee cake this weekend. Absolutely delicious!!! Extremely moist. The kitchen smelled wonderful. I might try with canned squash. Definitely a keeper!!!!

25. Joe C 25

I just finished baking this…it turned out well, and the house still smells amazing…as promised!

26. Terri A 26

Just made this and had to try a piece – it is so wonderful! I have to wait until it cools completely and then wrap it up to take to work tomorrow because I’m afraid of how much I’d eat if I didn’t! Thanks!

27. Gina 27

I’m back. I made this coffee cake again. This time after making the crumb topping which I doubled, I clumped bits of the crumb together which formed distinct crumbs on the cake. Although labor intensive it was worth the time. I added raisins as well. Again, outstanding.

28. C. 28

Made this wonderful coffee cake. I didn’t use all of the topping, because I was trying to cut calories, but it was still delicious!

29. NancyC 29

This sounds great! I love trying new pumpkin recipes!

30. Mike 30

It’s not clear whether the can of pumpkin is puree or pie mix. Tinned pumpkin is rarely found outside the USA, so either would have to be made from scratch – the question is whether the added spices are sufficient if the pre-spiced mix isn’t used.

31. Mike 32

Also why is this called coffee cake, when there is no coffee in the recipe?