Kicked-Up Tuna Melts

Every Friday growing up I had a tuna sandwich in my lunch box. The bread was usually soggy by the time lunch came around, caused by the use of too much mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish. Friday was also the only day I was allowed to have a soda pop accompany my lunch. It was usually RC Cola in the can, wrapped in tin foil to keep cold. The RC Cola also kept my sandwich cool, a bonus as far as I was concerned.

While I still love tuna with mayo and pickle relish, I like the idea of capers, lemon and oregano taking the tuna to a different level. Add the sliced tomato and provolone cheese blistered by the broiler….whoa, now that’s a sandwich.

You must try this, it was quite a hit around here!

In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano and stir thoroughly until combined.

Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread a little mayonnaise on each slice. Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices tomato and 1 slice of cheese.

Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.

Serve warm.

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
6 slices crusty bread
10 thin slices tomato
6 slices provolone

One Year Ago: Smashed Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Chives

1. Nancy 1

That looks so wonderful! I’ve been dreaming of this sandwich and now I can make it.

2. Tuna melts are still one of my favourite sandwiches by far. I recently even had one at a restaurant and I swear they used 2 cans of tuna:D Love your twist here!!

3. Now you’re speaking my language! I think I have everything to make this for lunch tomorrow too!

Frankly, I never even considered a tuna melt until seeing yours. Somehow, after seeing some offered at restaurants, I ran screaming in the opposite direction. However, yours looks like it’s quite the tasty meal!

5. Now THAT’s a tuna melt! I am so going to have to try this, thanks!

6. LilSis 6

Now, that is my kind of Tuna Melt!! It looks perfect. I love the capers in it! I wish I had one right now!

7. Amanda 7

These look really wonderful. I eat tuna sandwiches all the time for lunch, but honestly hadn’t really thought of making a tuna melt. Yum!

When I was a kid, I remember a birthday party I had. I was allowed to have anything at all I wanted for lunch with my friends and I chose hot tuna burgers. They were an instant hit and something my mother ended up serving for fun dinners in years to come. This takes it to another level with the addition of the tomato and provolone. I can’t wait to try this with the lemon juice, capers and oregano. Yum!

9. Lisa 9

We had tuna growing up with sweet pickle relish too! I still make it that way but will definately try this.

10. I love putting capers in my tuna salad. It adds the salty, tangy taste I look for. Also, I use mustard with the mayo to cut a bit of the calories. But then if you’re working hard on a vineyard, I would think calorie counting would be on the last thing you are doing! :)

11. Lea Ann 11

Love the idea of capers in a tuna salad sandwich. As much as I love capers, I can’t believe I’ve never thought to do that. I also like to add a little tarragon.

Grumpy might get irriated because I make a sandwich for dinner – but I’m sure when he eat’s it he won’t be anymore! This looks great and I’ve bookmarked to have on our meal plan! Thanks!

13. Okay…the idea of a tuna melt always grossed me out, but this looks good…

14. Tammy 14

Omg! That “provolone cheese blistered by the broiler” is just killing me!! Provolone is my all time favorite cheese.

15. I love tuna and this sandwich has my name on it! This looks fantastic.

16. I have so many tomato starts begging to be planted. Pink, striped, green, white, marbled, and brilliant red, I can’t wait to top this sandwich with them all throughout the season.

17. annbb 17

That looks fantastic!

18. Julie 18

I’ve never in my life thought to myself “gee, I’d like to have a tuna melt”. Until now!

19. Tom 19

I love tuna melts and make them with a good deal of frequency. My favorite additions are sliced scallions and a bit of lemon pepper. For the cheese, it’s typically a combination of shredded white cheddar and shredded gruyere. I find that shredding the cheese gives me better results than slices or lardon.

20. Tuna melts are one of my VERY FAVORITE things…ever! Sans the tomato of course. I think they are evil. Not to mention they make my tongue and lips swell beyond belief.

I can’t wait to make these! CAN NOT WAIT!

21. Biz 21

About a year and a half ago, I resurrected a weekly Blogger Secret Ingredient Recipe contest.

Just so happens this weeks hostess chose capers – you should submit your recipe! 😀

link to fussfreeflavours.com

Hope you had a great weekend!

Truly not your everyday tuna salad sandwich! Looks delicious.

23. your photos just might make me a converter. i mean seriously….

24. elra 24

That Tuna melt look really wonderful Cathy. Really make my mouth watering.

25. that looks amazing! And i just bought tuna the other day to make melts.

26. megan 26

Now thats a tuna melt!!!

Nice! I love the tomato slices on top – they look fantastic.

Hey! We used to drink RC cola when I was a kid, too! I’d love to have this for lunch today. I’ve been on a tuna kick lately. YUM!

29. This looks fantastic! Amazing presentation.

30. Helen 30

I did choose capers, it would be lovely if you entered it!

31. Melissa 31

Made these last night for dinner – a hit! Couldn’t find capers at the store (I also didn’t ask), but they tasted great anyway. He took one look – said that they didn’t look like what he was expecting…took a bite…said they were great! :)

32. The capers in the tuna salad are a great idea, and the melted provolone is a thing of beauty!

33. Peef 33

This looks SO GOOD! It’s been a few months since we have done the tuna melts, and now I believe it is the only thing I want in the world. And I do believe we have all the fixins to be making this real soon.

34. Laurie 34

I really enjoyed this tuna salad (and then melt)! It’s amazing how a few new ingredients (at least for me anyway; the oregano and capers) could give fantastic new life to an old stand by. Outstanding! Thanks so much for sharing :)

35. Natasha 35

This looks wonderful. I came across your blog on stumbleupon.com and love it. I will definitely be back.

36. Georgeanna 36

YOU ARE AMAZING!
    I made this for my friend’s and my family tonight, and just let me say:”WOW”! I didn’t run to the store for capers but, since I didn’t have any, laid slices of avocado on top of the tomato instead. Looked so cool, and the taste was amazing!!(Lemon juice? was I the only one not aware how good it is with tuna!?)Even my three-year-old loved it! Thank you for a new favorite dinner!

37. Nicole 37

Just made this for lunch and yes it is as good as it looks!!!! Yummmm!!!!!

38. Kat 38

Out of all things I didn’t have the lemon juice. :-( added some red pepper flakes for a kick. Delish!

39. Lindsey 39

Even better on dark rye bread! Try it! Yum!

40. Debbie R 40

These are awesome… I have made this recipe several times… Craving them now !!