Fast and Easy Raspberry Scones

I had some raspberries quickly going south for the winter. They were mushy and would not hold their shape if I attempted to use them where stirring or any anything other than delicate handling was involved.

In hopes of not wasting them, I found a scone recipe I knew would work.  If your raspberries are in good shape, they will remain whole and your scones will have a very cool, rustic look.  I didn't mind the way the raspberries spread out here and the scones actually looked pretty in pink.

This really is a quick and simple scone recipe. Make them for breakfast or serve with hot tea for a satisfying afternoon snack.

Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 400o F.  In a food processor, pulse together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add butter and pulse until pea-size pieces form.  In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg yolk.  Slowly pour buttermilk mixture through feed tube into processor, pulsing until dough just comes together.

Transfer dough to a slightly floured surface and sprinkle raspberries on top.  Knead three times to fold in raspberries (my raspberries were mushy so they broke down, if yours are in good shape, they will stay intact).  Gather and pat dough into a 1" thick rectangle and cut or pull apart into 2" pieces.

Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Let scones cool slightly on sheets on wire racks.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  (Store in an airtight container up to 1 day).

So yummy.

• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 oz) fresh raspberries

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . In a food processor, pulse together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and pulse until pea-size pieces form. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg yolk. Slowly pour buttermilk mixture through feed tube into processor, pulsing until dough just comes together.
  • Transfer dough to a slightly floured surface and sprinkle raspberries on top. Knead three times to fold in raspberries (my raspberries were mushy so they broke down, if yours are in good shape, they will stay intact). Gather and pat dough into a 1" thick rectangle and cut or pull apart into 2" pieces.
  • Place pieces, about 2 inches apart on two parchment or silicone lined, rimmed baking sheets, sprinkling tops with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
  • Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let scones cool slightly on sheets on wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Store in an airtight container up to 1 day).

1. Ashley 1

This sounds amazing. I am on my way to the store to get the ingredients!

2. Yum! Love the look of them. Haven’t found raspberries on sale here much. Sigh. Waiting for your blueberries to be ready for all the yummy things you’re going to “share” with us! ;)

3. omg Cathy, those look fabulous. No Raspberry shall every migrate south!!!

4. Oh yum! I am making these tonight! Love raspberries. LOVE THEM.

And as always, your photos are simply gorgeous.

5. april 5

I overbought blueberries for the first sale of the season, so might try this and switch out the blueberries for your raspberries. My hubby loves scones; I’m personally not a fan (but they won’t go to waste between the hubby and the 2-year old!)

6. I’m loving that color!!!

I’ll eat these lovelies only if you make them for me when I come to try your wine.

;-)

8. I would gobble those babies right up! YUMMY!!

I’ve never made scones, I thought they were difficult!

10. I wonder if this would work for frozen raspberries too. I just love scones.

11. Jen 11

These look awesome. I love raspberries above all fruits. I’d really like to plant a raspberry busy at the side of our house. I’m afraid it only gets partial sun though. Does anyone know if that’s enough sun for a raspberry bushy?

12. Lena in VT 12

Oh my word this is so easy and they look beautiful.

13. nina 13

This is certainly different to the scones I make, but I want to bet that a batch will not last very long in my house!

14. What beautiful color! These sound simply amazing! Love scones!

15. Just came across your blog and think it is excellent. Also just read about your scones, i recently did a scone recipe that was excellent and the best i have done, you should try it out – link to delishhh.com

16. tigerlille 16

Hi Cathy. I am new to your blog; so far, I am really enjoying your style. When I want to bake with raspberries, I usually work with the juices or syrup. I find that when I use the fresh berries, they end up becoming a dry little cluster of seeds, with the essence of the raspberry dissipated. But you seem to understand some of the issues inherent in baking with fresh raspberries, and the other day I paid an exhorbitant amount of money to buy real buttermilk, …so I have decided to give this recipe a whirl. Have my fingers crossed, your finished product looks lovely!

17. Diane 17

What a great idea. I happen to have some raspberries going south also!

I rarely buy raspberries, but I imagine blueberries would do fine. The color of those scones are magnificent and awe inspiring. I must try these the next time I have raspberries.

19. emiglia 19

Those look SO yummy! I’m usually disappointed with scone recipes, but with all that fruit, I bet they’re delicious!

20. Tammy 20

I love anything with raspberries!!

21. Jen 21

Wow, these scones are packed with raspberries. They are beautiful!

22. KathyB. 22

Now this looks like the perfect food to accompany tea parties with my granddaughters. Just bring on the pot of peppermint tea and we’re set!

The scones not only look yummy, but festive, and best of all, easy to make~

Great recipe! Seems like it would work with my mulberries when they come in, too!

24. wahh…look at all those raspberries! Looks really good!

so lovely! for me, raspberries are second only to blueberries when it comes to prettifying foods. bravo!

26. I love this recipe! I am saving it to use with my class next year, but trying it out for me this weekend with strawberries!

I have still never made scones… I must change that! These look perfectly delicious. Bookmarked!

Made these, so simple and easy! Thanks for this one.

29. Yvonne 29

I love the color of these delicious looking scones! I’m sure that they taste as good as they look. This recipe is a keeper! I am so happy to stop and visit this evening. You have a YUMMY blog!
    Yvonne

30. Laurie 30

These look decadent, I can’t wait to try them. I’m sure they will make this raspberry loving girl extremely happy!!

31. i haven’t made rasp scones in a while. i love them dearly too. you know i want a rasp croissant. can you make those for me? since i haven’t yet…lol

32. megan 32

I like that they are are made with buttermilk instead of cream. Looks like a winner!

33. Alexi 33

Saw these on your blog and made them for a clean up at our summer camp, they were a huge hit, and so easy to make!
    Thanks!

34. snowfairy 34

Sounds really great. Anyone know what I can use instead of buttermilk, though? It’s not available here…

35. Noble Pig 35

You can easily make your own with lemon juice. If you Google it a million recipes will come up.

36. Leigh 36

making these today! Really excited to try them!

37. Ellen 37

I love this recipe. It’s super fun and messy and crazy. I made it and I couldn’t believe what a great texture it had for something so simple. Making it again tonight!!

38. Thanks for taking the time to share this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    Locali Per feste Roma

39. Tess 39

I just found your recipe this week. I made this with some raspberries I bought yesterday, and they are amazing! I have been eating them plain, but my husband ate them with homemade blueberry preserves and loved them!