Dream to Reality

I can’t think of a better Mother’s Day than spending it working in our newly planted vineyard. Yes, we are finally planted! Right behind these gates are 4,000 of my newest Pinot Noir babies. I know it looks like nothing but trust me, they are there.

The weather finally cooperated and let us finish the fence and get the plants in. We have had to delay putting in the vineyard posts until later as we were under time pressure to get the vines in the ground. Realistically, we wanted to start planting 6 weeks ago but mother nature was having none of it. The stress now is keeping the vines watered, with it being late in the season we worry considerably about vine mortality.

Planting a vineyard and making wine was something we started dreaming about back in 1997. Thirteen years is a long time to wait but we finally made it. There were many struggles along the way but it has all been worth it. I can’t think of a greater feeling than working towards a goal for so long and finally making it happen.

When my husband and I woke up this morning, we looked at each other and said, “I wonder what the vinesare doing”, then we laughed.

There is so much to be thankful for, especially the manypeople along the way who helped us make this happen. We have learned so much and are already planning our first expansion. Crazy but true, maybe in the Fall.

If everything goes well, the wine made from this block, which we have decided to call the “Kings Table”, will be harvested in about three years and made into wine to be released 1-2 years later. Until then we will continue to purchase grapes to make wine from other highly respected vineyards in our area.

To see how far we’ve come, the above picture is the same land that is now under vine. The property had been recently logged and left in complete disarray. Looking at it now, it’s hard to imagine we were able to see the potential. I’m so glad we did.

Here I am planting our first vine in the vineyard, there was just no way anyone was going to plant one before me. Luckily the vineyard crew let me have my moment. We clapped, cheered and toasted our new endeavor. It was very emotional.

Thank you also to all of our friends who came out with wine, pizza and champagne to help us celebrate this milestone. Your constant unwavering support and encouragement has been the greatest gift of all.

Here’s to dreams coming true!

And finally, Happy Mother’s Day to all you fabulous Moms out there.Thank you for continuing to follow this journey, many of you from the very beginning! You are truly appreciated.

One Year Ago: Impressed
Two Years Ago: Hpnotiq Breeze

1. Congratulations! Good for you for all of your perseverance. I’m looking forward to seeing your vines progress.

Happy Mother’s Day too!

Amazing, just amazing. To follow a dream requires perseverance and drive. You have it my friend! Congratulations!

3. Congratulations. Such a great story of hard work paying off! I’ve so enjoyed your blog.
    Happy Mother’s Day, too!

4. Lisa 4

Congratulations, you have worked your butt off for this. Be proud and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

5. Sarah 5

Congratulations on planting your grapes! I can’t wait to buy bottles of your wine, however many years from now that may be!

6. Noble Pig 6

Our first wines are going to be released soon!

7. How exciting! Will we be able to order bottles from you some day? Looking forward to it!
    Congrats on all your new winey babies!

8. Dory 8

Congratulations, Cathy! I’ve been following your blog for the past couple years, and I love it. I’m so happy for you! It’s great to see your dream coming to fruition. Bravo!

9. Julie 9

I know you’ve put a lot of hard work and untold hours into your dream. Here’s to healthy vines and an abundance of grapes!!

10. KathyB. 10

Oh what wonderful news! I got all emotional about this for you!!!! I feel I am part of your big venture into your dreams and am so happy for you, and me too, because it appears I will NOT be too old to come to your winery and enjoy the wine made from your vineyard. Happy Mother’s Day, and may all your babies prosper, sons and vines alike!

11. Katie 11

How exciting! Good luck with your grapes – I hope you end up with a LOT of wine! :)

I’m very happy and excited for you! It will be my goal to come out your way to check out your vineyard! I went to a wine tasting of local vineyards here a few weeks ago and thought of you when I was there!

13. Diane 13

I am so proud of you! I know I dont comment much here but I am a long time lurker. I was drawn to your foodie posts and stayed for your adventures in planting a vineyard. I live in France and my hubby has worked in the vineyards here and I really enjoyed an account of how it goes there. We have visited the Oregon vineyards and enjoyed a few very fine bottles! The best of luck to you and your endeavors. I am sure there will be some very fine vintages coming from your hard work.With luck maybe some day I will have the chance to sample some :) Now…back to my lurking! Diane

14. Congratulations, Cathy! We will be looking forward to the fruits of your labor!

15. Lea Ann 15

Oh Cathy I am so happy for you. I truly wish I could have been there as part of the champagne/pizza crew to view the event. How thrilling. You can bet I’ll buy one of the first bottles available.

16. JodieMo 16

Congratulations on getting the vines in the ground! I remember the first vineyard my parents planted when they started their winery several years ago. It was just the beginning of a fruitful endeavor that they enjoy every day. I hope your vineyard brings you as much happiness as it does for my Mom and Dad! :)

17. Terri A. 17

Congratulations! Great to see your dream coming true. Really enjoy your blog.

18. How exciting! Glad you got your moment! I hope it all works out and goes well, thanks!

19. Congratulations! It’s a long journey that’s going to be worth its while. Thanks for taking us along on your journey through your blog and Facebook. I feel like a part of it. I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to try the first of your wines.

20. Tammy 20

Congratulations Cathy! This is great news and I’m so excited to sample your wine when it’s ready!

21. Hurrah for you! What a wonderful accomplishment.

22. Yay!!!
    I’m so happy that your dream is FINALLY a reality!!
    And I KNOW you had a very happy Mother’s Day. Again, Yay!!

23. This is the best way to spend Mother’s Day in pursuit of simething you are passionate about.

24. That is so great! I’ve loved watching your journey so far and can’t wait to see the rest of it!

25. June 25

Congratulations! Here’s wishing you warm sun, mild breezes and just the right amount of “moisture”.

26. Trisha 26

Momentous occasion! Congrats on getting those vines in the ground! Progress is amazing!

27. Lisa 27

Congratulations! It’s a wonderful accomplishment.

28. LoJo 28

Wow!! Congratulations! A great gift indeed.

I love your recipes, but must admit, that watching you build out your dream has been the main highlight for me on your blog. I recently left full time work to pursue my dream of owning my own company, and seeing people like you… doing it… gives much inspiration!

Thank you for sharing your story here. I hope to visit your winery one day when I’m on a trip up North!

29. Janine 29

I am soooo happy for you!! I will be waiting for a bottle of “Kings Table”…

30. India 30

I was on “stumbleupon.com” and came across your website, along with many other food blogs, and this is by far my favorite. I’m so glad for you that your vineyard is doing well. I’m in my early 20s and it took me a very long time to appreciate or even try wine! I always thought it was so yucky, but then I discovered savignon blanc and others that weren’t quite so harsh and dry. I’m a medium sweet girl in the end haha. I’m living on my own for the first time this summer, and your recipes will certainly be used and appreciated. Thanks so much, and keep it up, I check back every few days!

31. Suzy 31

Congratulations! This must be so exciting for you! I love your blog and I can’t wait to hear more about this exciting adventure!

32. Sarah 32

How exciting! Will I be able to buy them in Texas?! 😀

33. Lydia 33

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us come along on your journey. Next milestone — when we can toast your success with your own wines!

34. Barbie witih a T 34

Happy Mother’s Day to you TOO! You better believe I am following this vineyard step by step. Every time you reach a milestone, it brings a smile to my face. I really appreciate the fact that you are keeping your readers informed, because we like to think we can lend you some moral support if you ever need it. Cannot wait for the Kings Table!!

35. annbb 35

Congratulations! This is just wonderful!
    2 questions:

Where will your wines be available?
    Are you going to do mail order?
    How many grape vines were planted?

OOPS! That’s 3 questions!

36. Chris 36

Oh, wow! I’m so happy for you and your family. I can’t wait to try your wine!

37. Ruthanne in Seattle 37

This is so exciting Cathy. I can’t wait to buy some of your pinot. Oregon pinots are my most favorite!

Congratulations and a happy Mother’s Day to you too!

38. Noble Pig 38

Hey Annie-

Our wines will be available by mail order (assuming you live in a state that allows wine shipments).  With such a limited supply distribution in stores is currently not an option.

We planted 4,000 vines to start…more on the way in the Fall and next Spring and so on….

39. Noble Pig 39

You will be able to order them by mail order!

Woo Hoo! Thanks so much for sharing such a special moment with us. I remember when I first started reading you the land needed a ton of work. Just know I’m toasting with you in spirit. Cheers!

congratulations to you on the realization of your dream! What a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend!

42. Diane B 42

Congratulations. It’s been great following your progress via this blog for so long. Awesome!

43. Julia 43

Congratulations!! That’s awesome. And so nice to see that your patience was rewarded… I’m getting a little teary for you too :)

44. Pam Tillman 44

Good for you. I am sure your hard work will be rewarded many times over. What a wonderful example you are to your children….

45. Melissa 45

I’m so excited for you and your family! What fun it must be! I’m glad you had a great Mother’s Day.
    I took your advice and bought a bottle of Pinot Noir yesterday. I couldn’t find Yamhill, so I picked a bottle I liked and it was really good! I can’t wait to try Noble Pig Pinot Noir!

That is so exciting!!! Congratulations. I bet you are one tire and sore lady. You have come such a long way! Wow!

Here’s to your dreams coming true! Toasting you from Maryland, my bloggy friend.

48. Chuck 48

We weren’t able to be in Oregon on this great occasion but we were certainly with you in spirit. Well done Cathy.

49. Very exciting, I hope you had a fabulous Mother’s day!

50. Melynda 50

What a feeling of accomplishment! A great day to be sure, it has been fun to “tag” along. Thanks. PS Happy Mom’s day to you as well.

51. Nanan 51

Bravo!!! I hope each of your babies makes it and produces lovely grapes and you produce lovely wine! Congratulations!

52. Krista 52

Congratulations! Wow. I am so excited for you. Happy Belated Mother’s Day!

53. LilSis 53

Congratulations!!! It has to be such a terrific feeling to finally see your dream becoming reality! The hard work definitely pays off. Wish you lots of luck with your wine. I’m sure it will be fantastic!

54. I am duly impressed! And I cannot wait to come for a visit;)

55. Tom 55

Congratulations!!

56. Robin W. 56

I have been reading your blog for some time and really enjoy it!! Your journey thus far has been so full – and I thank you for sharing it with us all!! I live in Illinois and hope to one day come out to your area and sample all the wonderful venues you have shared! When reading this post, I got so emotional right along with you! I so enjoy seeing someone live out their dreams! I’ve recently got to watch my son achieve one of his and this has made my life so full!! I know you are all enjoying every moment of this ride – and my deep gratitude to you for sharing it! Cheers!!!

57. Christine 57

Congratulations!! I’ve been following you since well before your move, though I comment very little. I’m so very happy for you! Will you have a tasting room in the future? I’m in Portland and would love to spread the word about you! If not, can’t wait to order your first release! You are inspirational!

58. Whoot hoot!!! Claps hands wildly!!! Oh Cathy what a glorious day! To think I will be 60 when you have your first bottles and I am going to drink some!! God willing and the creek don’t rise.

59. MaryLou Rupp 59

This is so exciting. To be part, even though vicariously, of your endeavor is a new thing for me. I don’t think I’ve ever been in on the work you have done for your vineyard. I hope all your work will be blessed by the sun and the moon and stars to bring a beautiful wine to maturity. I’m looking forward to my first glass.

60. I have so enjoyed watching this dream materialize, into a very amazing reality for you. It’s so inspiring.

Can’t wait to follow along on your journey and open my very own bottle of your vintage!

61. Angie 61

Thank you so much for your blog! I have been a follower since I moved back to Oregon to spend a year with my parents in 2008. (I am in Tennessee now with my husband who is in the military.) Congrats on the vineyard. I am looking forward to tasting your wine and touring your vineyard when I visit Oregon again. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

62. Congrats to you. May the vines grow strong and healthy!

63. I am clapping, cheering and crying too! So much fun to watch all your dreams come true. I will continue to watch your many adventures to come!

I am so excited for you! All of your hard work will pay off soon.

I’m so happy for you! As one of your many followers who’s followed your winery from the first photos you posted of your place (and the whole fence saga) it’s so nice to see your new adventure taking it’s next step. And you can be dang sure I’ll be ordering wine from you!

66. Roberta David 66

Thank you for sharing such a special moment with all of us who follow you. It made me very emotional. To have dreamed for such a long time, and to realize that dream is something that takes so much perseverance. Congratulations! And good luck to you and your husband. I hope the crop does wonderfully well and the wine is superb! Keep us posted!!

67. Congrats to you for staying the course for your dream. So very inspiring. Keep the photos coming.

68. Kathi Hyett 68

Got a little teary just reading this! So very happy for you! Your blog is something I look forward to each day. Thanks for sharing with us. God Bless!

69. elra 69

Wow Cathy,
    Congratulation. I am excited to see your baby Pino grow.