Caesar Orange Roughy

March continues to be a very busy month.  Dreams I have been working on for the past thirteen years are finally coming to fruition over the next four weeks.  Under extreme time pressures to get everything done, things here might become a little hectic as we work diligently to get our vineyard planted.  It’s more exciting and stressful than I could have ever imagined.  And on top of that, I am hosting my new Oregon Supper Club this Saturday night for our very first get-together.  I can’t wait.

However, even with all the craziness, my family must still eat.  Pizza and burgers are just not a daily option.  So in an effort to make a satisfying  and quick dinner and at the same time expand my oldest son’s seafood horizon (he’s a salmon guy and I don’t think my youngest son would eat fish if it was the last meal on earth), I came across this wonderful recipe.

I had a feeling it would be a hit, boy was I right.  It always amazes me how a few simple ingredients just work well together, especially ones I never thought of pairing.

Like I mentioned, my son is a die-hard salmon fan.  Getting him to try other fish has remained a challenge.  So when I explained I was whipping up something incorporating one of his favorite salad dressings, Ritz crackers and cheese,  he was ready to dig in.

Let me just say the flavors and textures were right on here.  The fish did not even require salt and pepper, there was enough flavor from the other ingredients.

Orange Roughy is not often available at the market but Costco carries 2-1/2 pound bags of individually wrapped fillets in their frozen food section.  It works perfectly for this meal.

This meal is perfect for families with kids as the flavors are familiar and not overpowering.  Served with some honey-glazed carrots, mashed potatoes and a salad, dinner was on the table in no time flat.

Place the fillets in an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish.  Drizzle the tops of the fillets with salad dressing and sprinkle with cracker crumbs.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork and cheese is melted.

Drizzle any remaining sauce left in the pan over the fish, you won’t want to waste any!

Caesar Orange Roughy
Adapted from Taste of Home

Makes 8 servings but this recipe can easily be halved.

2 pounds fresh or frozen orange roughy fillets, thawed
1 cup Caesar salad dressing
(My favorite brand is Cardini’s)
2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
(about 50 crackers, I used Ritz)
1 cup (4 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Drizzle any remaining sauce left in the pan over the fish.

Two Years Ago:  Pear-Ginger Crumble

1. This looks so good and I do believe all my grandchildren and most of the adults in the family will love this! What’s not to love?

That does look good. Even with no kids at home, I’ve got to give this a try!

3. What a wonderful recipe! Quick, easy and everyone usually has all the ingredients in the pantry…except for the fish. I get so bored broiling my fish…this looks perfect.

4. Janine 4

Looks yummy! and I will be waiting to hear all about your supper night… I am sure it will be a night to remember..Have a great weekend.!!

5. You are right. I would never have thought of pairing those together.
    Good luck getting everything planted in time!

6. I’ve never had orange roughy before…I might have to try it just for this recipe alone!

7. Some/most of my boys love salmon, too. I need to branch out. I’ll bet if I just told them we’re having fish, they’d be excited.
    Interesting recipe with the cheese, I’ve just heard cheese and fish don’t go together. Sounds like it will for young kids though!
    Glad you found your ironing board in time for Supper Night! 😉

8. Tammy 8

I haven’t had any luck cooking Orange Roughy… This recipe might just change that.

9. I love orange roughy!

10. Cathy this fish dish looks great and I will be trying this one for sure. You are great under pressure. Wow to do all that you do and still keep up with your blog is great. Hang in there, dreams are in reach!!

Honestly can it get any easier than this? Wow, the flavors sound really good and I love Orange Roughy.

12. megan 12

What an easy recipe, I love it. I need to incorporate more fish into my familys diet.

This sounds like something right up my alley! I adore Orange Roughy and Caesar, so this is like the perfect combination. However, I like Ken’s Lite Caesar dressing. It’s as close to the real thing as you can get. But, what a great recipe!

14. Looks deeeeeelish! ~LeslieMichele

15. I love easy! I have never prepared orange roughy, but am going to try this out. Looks delicious with the carrots. Please blog about your supper club.

16. June 16

Talk about exciting times for you – 13 years is an incredibly long time to work on making dreams come true. I’m SO EXCITED for you. You’re amazing – you still manage to put together a great dinner for your family AND host a supper club. Good grief – you make me feel like a sloth. I’d be melting down big time! LOL.

Orange roughy is something I’ve been keeping my eye out for but not able to find. It looks and sounds great!

This is a very good suggestion for Lenten Season meals for us Catholics. I am always looking for different ways to prepare seafood on Fridays during Lent. If your boys liked it, then it is bound to be yummy. Thanks, it looks delicious.

19. It’s so great to find easy and tasty recipes like this one. Your fish looks delicious! My son is not a fish lover either but I figure if I just keep trying I’ll win him over eventually.

Glad to hear thing are coming together! :)

20. Oh how I WISH I liked fish! This looks delicious…I mean really delicious, not to mention simple.

Maybe I can…maybe!

Is orange roughy very “fishy”? I always hate asking that question about fish, because HELLO, by nature it’s a FISH!

21. Alisha 21

I don’t think that orange roughy is very fishy at all. If its fishy then it has gone bad and you probably don’e want to eat it. Should also work with cod or halibut.

22. annbb 22

We’re having our Connecticut Supper Club at our house tomorrow night! I’m not nearly ready…

Your roughy looks tasty!

oh, good luck with everything you have going on in the upcoming month!
    and hey–excellent fish concoction. simple, straightforward, succulent–what’s not to love?

24. Jen 24

I have a question, do you usually photograph outside? Your photos have so much GREEN in the background! It makes me pine for spring! (It’s very brown and icy in Ohio still!)

How easy is this? Wow! Just what you need with your ongoing vineyard project. How is that going?  And when do we get more updates? I’m excited on your behalf!

wow, that was easy. so fancy too. you rock woman.

27. Noble Pig 27

I do both in and outside but this pic was taken outside.

28. Julie 28

I love this recipe. I’m so bad at preparing fish, and simple totally works for me!

29. Amanda 29

Oh Cathy! I LOVE Orange Roughy, it’s the only fish I can get my husband to eat. this looks amazing!

30. Lena in VT 30

We made this for dinner last night and it was fantastic, nice and tangy from the dressing.

31. I am collecting an awful lot of your recipes to make…

This is a winner!

32. Lea Ann 32

I am so excited for you just reading about your Vineyard progress! Can’t wait to hear more. This recipe looks very good. I love the flavors of Ritz Crackers and can imagine how good they would be as a crunchy coating.

I sure hope you blog about your Supper Club.

33. That’s so great that your boys like fish. Good for them, and great meal!

34. I love Orange Roughy! This looks so good! I might be able to get my 6 year old to eat it, but the 4 year old is another story…I am off to Costco!

35. gordon 35

My wife has always made a fish chowder with home-grown red potatoes, stewed tomatoes, linda Italian– with frozen OR, never bones. I was curious where the frozen OR came from so went on internet and was shocked that it’s deemed as mercury-dangerous. Hate to spoil dinner here! It lives to be over 100 yrs old and a bottom fish so… anyway, my big concern is… is it imported from CHINA? Likely not.
    65% is from New Zealand, looks like most fro fish from China is farm-raised (not for 100 yrs :~)) Something to contemplate? Bought it at Ralphs, like $10/piece, we’re eating it anyway.

36. gordon 36

My wife ended up using this recipe, although without the cheese. Understand, when thawing frozen OR, it has tons of liquid, but don’t worry… make sure it’s completely thawed b4 breading it. My wife oven-baked it for about 20-25 minutes, this has to be one of the greatest tasting fish in the ocean, similar to what my father-in-law used to use, “Totuava”>
    link to bloodydecks.com

but this fish was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, regardless of the environmental and endangered concerns, which may or may not be your concern.
    Orange R. does not spawn for 20 years, and grows to store-bought in about 100 years, which is mind-boggling. After New Zealand-Australia, Nambibia is the next largest exporter, they put a ban on over-fishing, I think it’s lifted in 2010.

37. Chandra 37

s

38. Barbara Andrepont 38

I live in Lake Charles,LA and I can no longer find orange roughy in my area. Can anyone give me some information on where I can order this family favorite?