Roadside Diner Cheeseburger Quiche

My oldest son saw this in a magazine and instantly proclaimed he wanted it for dinner.  I was rather surprised as most kids, including my own, don’t like food that is touching or mixed up.  In other words, casseroles are usually out.

But when my kids see something they want me to make, I usually oblige.  However, I can’t even begin to imagine what the calorie count is here.  Actually, I don’t even care.  Moving on.

I have to admit this quiche is pretty cool, it does taste exactly like a cheeseburger.  A bacon cheeseburger.  You have a crust in place for the buns and this thick slab of cheese on top, meat in the middle and what makes it most authentic tasting is the dill pickle relish.  The relish just gives it that “cheeseburgeresque” taste.  Leaving it out would be a mistake.  A big mistake.

Your first bite will surprise you as your mind is seeing quiche but you are tasting burger.  I even wanted to squirt some ketchup on the side for a little dip.  I think I’ll try that tomorrow.

If you happen to have a man who will not eat quiche, well, I think he’ll be happy with this one.  Give it a try.

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the tomatoes, onion, relish and bacon.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, mustard, pepper sauce, salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Unroll pie crust into a 9″ deep-dish pie plate (make sure it’s deep dish, otherwise, the mixture will not fit) and flute the edges.  To make refrigerated pie crust fit into a deep-dish plate, roll it out a little bit more with a rolling pin.  You can make your own pie crust or purchase frozen deep dish pie crusts; just make sure it’s completely thawed out.  Transfer meat mixture into the prepared crust.  Pour egg mixture over the meat and use a fork to move the meat around, letting the egg mixture settle in between.  Sprinkle with cheeses.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  If necessary, cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.  Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

You could easily garnish this with extra ingredients like, additional pickle relish, crumbled, cooked bacon, chopped onion and tomato, mayonnaise and shredded lettuce.

Roadside Diner Cheeseburger Quiche
Adapted from Taste of Home

1 refrigerated pie crust
(or make your own or use a frozen deep-dish pie shell)
3/4 lb. ground beef
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
(I used extra sharp)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Optional garnishes: Additional pickle relish, crumbled cooked bacon, chopped onion and tomato, mayonnaise and shredded lettuce

Unroll pie crust into a 9″ deep-dish pie plate (make sure it’s deep dish, otherwise, the mixture will not fit) and flute the edges.  To make refrigerated pie crust fit into a deep-dish plate, roll it out a little bit more with a rolling pin.  You can make your own pie crust or purchase frozen deep dish pie crusts; just make sure it’s completely thawed out.  Transfer meat mixture into prepared crust.  Pour egg mixture over the meat and use a fork to move the meat around, letting the egg mixture settle in between.  Sprinkle with cheeses.

59 Comments and 3 Replies

1. This looks soooooooo good! My granddaughter and I made the tacoritos tonight and they are delicious! I froze half the batch to take to a potluck later this weekend. I will be making these again. Thanks!

This new recipe seems to be following the same theme, cheese, meat,calories of yummy and filling food almost everyone likes, a LOT!Another ‘must make’ recipe Cathy.

2. This recipe looks and sounds like a slightly more decadent version of a cheeseburger pie I once made. Very appealing. I love when your boys give you a cooking mission (not that they need to, because you had so many great ideas on your own). I bet they were happy you obliged!

Shirley

3. Amanda 3

Wow! That’s amazing, a hamburger in a pie plate, I bet it was fabulous!

4. nina 4

Counting calories is not my favorite, but I think for this quiche it would be best to not do it at all!!! This is a man’s kinda food….my man!!!

• Novus 5

Nutrition info for 1 of 8 slices
      Calories: 352
      Carbs: 8
      Fat: 26
      Protein: 22

(I used a potato crust instead of a flour crust (burger & fries!) plus I omitted the Parmesan.)

5. Your right the calories. I guess cut a sliver. No just eat it!

6. Alta 7

You’re right – I think my husband would love it! And the kids too!

7. my..my.my..doesn’t that look decadent. I was not surprised when I saw it was from Taste of Home and don’t blame your son for calling it out.

8. I have a Cheeseburger Pie that sounds similar. My boys and hubby love it. I think the hubby likes it because it’s a combination of two good things-cheeseburger & pie.
    BTW, I must have strange boys (7 & 3) because they won’t eat their food if it is separated. Also, they tend to eat their veggies first and meat last. They even eat lima beans. :)

Oh dang. No wondering anymore why your hubby gained ten pounds. I’d try this tonight, but my daughter’s vegetarian friend will be here for dinner.

10. deb 11

This looks amazing! I’d love to sub half and half for the heavy cream…possibly sweet pickle relish, which my husband loves, for the dill pickle relish.

Can I do this without disastrous results??

11. Larry 12

This dish looks incredible and I think I want to try all of your superbowl appetizers.

12. Considering how much my family likes cheeseburgers I know they would love this.

13. June 14

Calories – some things are exempt from worry and this is one of them. Looks incredible!

14. You are killing me!!!!!

15. Mary 16

I would do this for brunch, but if you substitute breakfast sasuage for the beef, then breakfast food all the way.

16. Lena in VT 17

Oh my word we have to have this, my husband said HE HAS to have it too.

17. A cheeseburger quiche sounds fantastic, yum!

18. My god, you’ve done it again- we’re talking comfort food with a capital “C”. Awesome!

19. Tammy 20

Wow, just wow!! The whole family would love that… (well not my son, but he doesn’t like anything)

20. Lisa 21

I really like quiche. This would definitely be a new flavor worth trying. My men do love cheeseburgers!

21. Donald 22

OMG

I just printed this out. This is my kind of comfort food.

23. Mary 24

This looks amazing! My grandsons will thank you :-).

24. j3nn 25

I love when foods are mixed, I purposely do it on my plate. This looks SO good! I’d eat it with a side of mashed potatoes. :)

Jenn

25. a meat lovers delight

26. I would eat this, in a heart beat, but my husband and daughter wouldn’t touch it even if I wrapped in $100 dollar bills. 😉

27. Memoria 28

Oh, man!! Your son has great taste!! I think I would even tolerate the relish for this dish. I think my woman (AND myself), not just a man, would get over her dislike for quiche for this, and I’m an example of that! YUMMY!

Printing…making….tonight.

Well, I’ll eat quiche. And I’d eat that all over the place. Although I certainly wouldn’t think about the calorie count either. heh.

ho. ly. yum. what a brilliant idea–huge pat on the back for the creator of this! your version looks delightful, cathy, and i’d wager that the leftovers are just as good. calories shmalories.

31. Lynn 32

Would it be too SNL skitish for me to want to put a slice in between a hamburger bun and then put MORE garnish on top of that? (and perhaps deep fry it….?) Just kidding. This looks delicious on its own. Can you tell I’ve been eating really healthy all week so far and am slowly caving? ;o)

My best, Lynn

32. Howard Beale 33

Your killing me over here! some craft beer would be perfect with this.

33. This looks so good! I think I know what we’re having for dinner Friday night! Now all I have to do is convince my 4 year old, that it really IS good! Oiy! Picky kids!

34. Marlene 35

YUM!!! I cannot wait to try this recipe. (Thanks, Auds…for turning me onto this blog!)

35. Noble Pig 36

Well, the half and half will probably be fine. With the relish I think it would depend on how you usually eat your burgers, with dill pickles or sweet pickles?  If you eat them with dill, i would stick with that, but it’s totally up to you.

36. My daughter would love this quiche! Relish is a wild addition but I can see how it would make it taste more cheeseburger-ish. Will have to try this one out on my family soon!

This would make my whole family happy!

38. That is cool that they asked for this, wonder if my gang would like this pie. I sure would!

39. Juliana 40

What a nice quiche…my mouth is watering at the pictures…very rich and flavorful, yummie…I could have it at anytime :-)

40. Kim 41

This looks delicious. I made the jalapeno popper dip yesterday and it was a big hit! Thanks for that recipe:D

41. cara 42

found your blog today, enjoyed spending an hour or so checking it out, looking forward to following you. Just read your about me, laughed out loud reading about your youngest child… you could have been writing about mine!

42. Lisa Sipple 43

Oh that slab of cheese has me drooling, LOL.

43. Julie 44

Your kids have a great eye for picking out the good stuff. Very nice :)

44. Lynda 45

If it has bacon, it must be good! And all that gooey cheese! My kids didn’t like things mixed together either.

45. LilSis 46

I should know better than to look at your posts before I’ve eaten breakfast! I wish I had a big ole slice of this beefy cheeseburger quiche right now! *drool*

46. katie 47

Must eat this now! I should not look at your blog during lunch time.

47. Mmmmmm…I would demand someone make this for me too. I have a man who won’t eat quiche, but that’s because of his anti-cheese/meat stance. As I see it, more for me!

Your kids have good taste!

49. megan 50

I think it’s a crime that calories even exist! This looks awesome and very family friendly!

50. Oooooh! This looks good! I will definitely give it a try!!

51. Shelley 52

Oh my! I was skeptical, but gave this a whirl (doubled the recipe in fact & made 2). My family loved, LOVED this dish – all 5 kids & the man! I now have a sliver of one quiche left. Will definitely make it again :)

(btw, I used half & half instead of cream – it’s what I had on hand).

52. This looks really interesting…bacon, beef, cheese, what’s not to like? I however do not like pickles on my hamburgers-I will eat them separate but not on the meat, strange, maybe. I have to think hard about adding or omitting that relish…

53. Kelly 54

Loved this, thanks for sharing! I switched with ground turkey and my husband didn’t even notice… usually hates turkey! Great stuff.

Cathy, I’ve made a variation of this twice and blogged about it today. Of course, I gave you credit. Thanks for a wonderful meal!

55. Ryan 56

Just made this recipe, and it was really good. I used sweet relish over dill; because, no one I was making the dish for (nor do I) likes dill. I really didn’t like the taste; it the sweetness was just misplaced. Oh, and I didn’t have a deep dish to cook it in so I used two 9 inch regular pans, which worked out fine (I just need more cheese). In fact, my mom said she would have rather have it cooked in regular pans over deep-dish pans.

Thank you, Cathy, and I love the site.

56. Jenni 57

My boyfriend LOVES blue-cheese burgers, would blue-cheese crumbles bake OK in the oven? Instead of adding bacon (or with it, depends on what he likes) I plan on putting a layer of blue-cheese between the meat/veggie layer. I’m hoping that the blue-cheese won’t get out of control and burn or something. Any experience with blue-cheese?

57. Elizabeth 58

We had this for supper tonight on 10/12/2012.It was really good.My elderly mother who is 89 loved it.I will be making this again.She said we had been finding the best recipes lately.You can make some changes with this without hurting the flavor any if you want or need to.Thanks for the recipe.

58. Julie Mora 60

I made this tonight and it was yummy!!!!! I kind of messed up and mixed the meat with the eggs and eggs and milk instead of pouring it over. I guess I’ll just have to try again. Oh darn!!!!! My Husband and Mom gave it a 10 out of 10.

I have two in the oven now! I found this site on stumbleupon.com and am so thankful I did. You have the most amazing and delicious recipies. I can’t wait to try this one! I make a family favorite Quiche Lorraine and this seemed to be the perfect way to mix it up a bit. 24 minutes and counting. Keep up the good work!