Baked Salmon with Blackberry Ginger Glaze

I am always looking for a new way to prepare salmon and am willing to try almost any recipe that comes along.  I have to say I’ve never eaten salmon with just a vibrant colored glaze and such a lovely sweet-savory flavor.

Also, I live in blackberry country, they grow wild everywhere.  Come summer I need lots of ways to prepare them…they’re not just for dessert.

I would have preferred a better char on top of my salmon but the oven I’m currently working with has seen better days.  It just seems I couldn’t get the broiler to the temp I wanted to get a bit of caramelization on top.  However, that did not affect the enjoyment of the fish.

I served it over rice with some of the leftover glaze spilled on top.  So yummy and almost dessert like. And yeah, if there is more leftover glaze (which there probably will be), you can spoon it right over some vanilla ice cream to finish off the meal.  You know we did.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine water, blackberries, ginger and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until berries break down, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and strain into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to push blackberry pulp through.  Return blackberry mixture to the sauce pot, add sugar and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half (maybe a little more), about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set fillets on top.  Brush fillets with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Once blackberry mixture is cool, brush over salmon fillets and bakeat 400 degrees for 4 minutes (if you want to be able to use the extra glaze after the fish is cooked, make sure to separate the glaze you are brushing on the fish into another bowl to avoid contamination).  Brush again with blackberry mixture.  Turn oven to broil and broil another 3 to 4 minutes.

Serve over rice with some extra glaze.

Baked Salmon with Blackberry Ginger Glaze
Adapted from Sunny Anderson, TV Food Network

1 cup water
12 ounces blackberries, fresh or frozen
(if frozen, thawed)
1 (1″) piece ginger, peeled and sliced into coins
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 (8 ounce) skinless salmon fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set fillets on top.  Brush fillets with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Once blackberry mixture is cool, brush over salmon fillets and bake at 400 degrees for 4 minutes (if you want to be able to use the extra glaze after the fish is cooked, make sure to separate the glaze you are brushing on the fish into another bowl to avoid contamination).  Brush again with blackberry mixture.  Turn oven to broil and broil another 3 to 4 minutes.

Serve over rice with extra sauce.

One Year Ago: Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies
Two Years Ago: My Crazy Place

Oh this sounds delicious. I love the idea of this sauce and love the vibrant color. Yum.

I’ve had something similar on pork chops, but never salmon!

3. Julia 3

This looks great! I’m always looking for savory recipes that use berries. (BTW, I have a recipe for tuna and blackberries on my blog that I posted in Jan if you need more ideas.)

4. Beautiful. I try to prepare Salmon at least once per week. Thanks for this recipe.

5. I don’t care for salmon, but this looks really good…

6. Love blackberries and salmon! But never had them together;)

7. Lena in VT 7

I absolutely love the ideas of berries with salmon, what a perfect combo…and color! Lots of antioxidants!

8. June 8

Oh boy, this looks sooooo darn good! The blackberries are incredible there aren’t they?

9. Tammy 9

Such a pleasing to the eye salmon dish! We have tons of wild blackberries growing here too. I’ve many a pie after a morning of picking. I’ll have to add this recipe to my list, I have a feeling my husband would love it!

10. Ginny 10

looks good! :)

11. Debbie 11

Wow…I love blackberries and salmon is also a favorite. This is a keeper Cathy. Thanks so much!!!

12. Lynda 12

Wow, I’m loving this! I just so happen to have some blackeberries from last summer still in my freezer. Now to go buy the salmon!

13. Blackberry ginger glaze sounds amazing!

I’m so thrilled you chose today to post this recipe! I have 2 lovely filets in the freezer and Mr. Snoots has been wanting a blackberry sauce ever since he had it over his Elk steak in Ruidoso. I just had not taken the time to find a recipe and now I don’t have to. You’re the best!

15. elra 15

Tantalizing salmon. Love the combination of blackberry and ginger.

First off, that’s just gorgeous. Secondly I love the idea of blackberry and ginger. Definitely trying that.

Nom, nom, nom!

18. WOW amazing looking – I have 1 last piece of Alaskan salmon left from hubby’s trip to Alaska this is a perfect grand finale recipe!!

19. Maura 19

This looks wonderful! Quick question: what temp is the oven for baking the salmon? Can’t wait to try this.

20. Mary 20

I think the salmon looks fine but if you want a better sear before a new oven arrives use a kitchen blow torch.

21. Noble Pig 21

Thanks for catching that, 400 degrees F.

22. Looks fabulous… sorry I haven’t been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back with new postings…

Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

And love the look of this… I am seeing lots of fish, so i am sure I will be stealing this recipe!

I am not a big fan of salmon unless it’s got some yummy sauce to go along with it. It tend not to bookmark salmon recipes for this reason. But a blackberry ginger glaze? Yeah, I could probably eat that!

24. This looks most excellent! It reminds me of summer with that yummy berry glaze!

25. Cathy look at you go. You are a cooking machine. I was home alone (with kids) all last week and could barely blog let alone have time for making comments. Himself is home now and I can catch up. Everything you have cooked this week so far looks fantastic!

um, wow. not only are those the most massive blackberries i’ve ever laid eyes on, but that’s also the most appetizing piece of fish i’ve ever seen. this fish-hater might just be willing to give salmon another try.

What an elegant and beautiful way to serve salmon.

28. This just might….MIGHT make me want to eat salmon! It’s so pretty!

29. Lydia 29

Oh, the colors! I’d never think of berries and salmon, but the colors are irresistible!

Oh MAN this looks good! Do you think the blackberries will cancel any allergic reaction my husband would have to the salmon?

31. bellini 31

We can get blackberries on the coast or wait for someone to bring them to the farmers market here in the interior…can’t wait for the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. I love trying all kinds of salmon dishes too, and the color here is lovely. The fruit with salmon sounds delicious too.

33. Lisa Sipple 33

This fish is absolutely beautiful!

34. Janine 34

Yummy!! A definite for the salmon lovers in the house!!

35. I too love salmon and experimenting with different recipes. Yours looks delicious!!

36. LilSis 36

Wow! This looks delicious! I was making salmon with a special sauce about once every week or two, and my husband finally tells me that he doesn’t like salmon!

I wonder if this recipe would make him change his mind? I love blackberries!

37. Wow, the glaze is really beautiful with such a delicious color. I love this.

38. KathyB. 38

This recipe positively screams “Pacific Northwest” and looks so good…another recipe to file away Cathy, and I hope you’re taking good care of yourself…

39. This looks amazingly elegant.

40. Looks really good! I like the addition of ginger here.

41. hannah 41

you had me at berry glaze – this looks terrific!

42. lo 42

Actually, this sounds awesome. Salmon and blackberries are made for one another.

43. Meg 43

This was amazing. I made it for a small group of friends last night. They raved about it and my husband said it was the best salmon I’d ever prepared. The sauce is fantastic. We had to cook the salmon longer than the 7-8 minutes because it was one big fillet rather than individual portions, but salmon is pretty forgiving. Served with a salad of spring greens with goat cheese, walnuts, pears and red wine vinaigrette alongside wild rice and chocolate/brown sugar pots de creme for dessert. Thank you very much!

44. What a beautiful presentation. The sauce sounds perfect with salmon. How exciting that Sunny Anderson commented on your PB&J sundae post. Isn’t it amazing how people find us?

45. Barbara 45

Can think of lots of ways to use your blackberry sauce! Must admit I would never have thought of salmon, but I can see it’s a great matchup.

Those blackberries stewing in the pot with ginger is an amazing photo!

46. Lisa 46

Gorgeous fish! Is there a bad way to serve salmon? My mouth is watering.

47. jaden 47

love it! gorgeous color makes me happy!

48. Love this!

49. PG 49

I’m jealous that you live in blackberry country! They’re so expensive here and often sold underripe and overly tart.

Love the colour on this dish!

50. EcologyLover 50

Sounds great—Can’t wait to make this. However, I am disheartened by your lack of knowledge about the tunnels built to save crossing toads. Pick up any ecology book and you’ll understand the impact fragmentation (i.e. as a result of building a road) has on the dynamics of a community/ecosystem.

51. Saw the show. I bought blackberries. Now off to buy Salmon and make this dish. It looks great! Thanks for the great photos.

Carmen

52. You can not believe how long ive been looking for something like this. Went through 10 pages of Google results and couldnt find anything. First page of bing. There you are!…. Really gotta start using that more often

53. chef mckenzie 53

OK CATHY IM GONNA TRY THIS ON SALMON, I HAVE DONE THIS ON CHOPS, BLACK CHICKEN, BUT NOT ON FISH, SO IM GONNA GIVE THIS A SHOT AND LET U KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT, FIRST TIME ON UR SITE , GREAT LOOKING, VERY NICE OF U TO POST THIS, I WENT TO FOODNET AND FOUND THIS AND READ UR POST, SO HERE IT GOES, HOPE U ARE WELL, COOK-EAT-BE HAPPY. CHEF MCKENZIE.

54. Sounds and looks delicious!