Classic Split-Pea Soup

Growing up I spent a lot of vacations traveling up the California coast.  It always seemed our first stop was a small town just north of Santa Barbara known as Buelton.  Here we would stop at Pea Soup Anderson’s to have…wait for it…their famous split pea soup.

I don’t think it was the best pea soup I’ve ever had but I do know it is where I became a fan of this hardy, green liquid.  There was something about stopping at Pea Soup Anderson’s that seemed special.  I’m not sure if it was the giant windmill turning out front or going into the gift shop and buying some candy that made it exciting.  I just remember loving it.

Split pea soup is so easy to make.  It falls into the category of “set it, and forget it” for me.  This recipe is quite tasty and doesn’t require any additional seasoning.  We love it with crusty bread on these beautiful but cold winter days.

I bet you’d love it too.

Rinse the ham hock and place it in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with the broth, split peas, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.

Remove and discard the bay leaf.  Transfer the ham hock to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle, at least 10 minutes.  Shred the meat (there won’t be a lot) and stir it into the soup.

Serve warm with crusty bread.

Now, how easy to make is that?  Yum.

Classic Split-Pea Soup
Adapted from Real Simple, best recipes

1 ham hock
2 32-ounce-containers chicken broth
1 pound green split peas
2 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Kosher salt

Serve warm with crusty bread.

One Year Ago:  White Bean Dip

1. What a comforting soup! Love ham hock in soups and stews, so tasty!

2. I love split pea soup, but unfortunately my family does not. This one will have to be made for the support group (already have the ham hock), but it looks fabulous and so easy, Cathy–thanks!

Shirley

3. kim 3

I wish I could see the pictures…I could when I first subscribed to the blog, but can’t anymore for some reason… ;-(

4. Split pea soup is one of those comfort foods I remember as a child..even if it did come from the Habitant Company and from a can.

You know, I’ve never had split pea soup. It’s one of those things that never sounded appetizing to me. I’ll probably try it and love it, and curse going all these years without it.

6. Janine 6

Love this soup! I have been on a soup kick lately. It is SOOOOO cold up here in London Ontario… Thanks for sharing this recipe.

7. I’ve been to Anderson’s and had that pea soup. I agree, nothing out of this world, but loved the Anderson’s experience. And it was good and hearty before wine tasting. Thanks for this recipe, I was going to start looking for a split pea recipe as I have a ham bone in the freezer from Christmas.

8. My mother has always loved Anderson’s. I remeber she would have cans of it in the cupboard. I also remember the cartoon on the front of the can with the 2 chefs splitting peas. With a large hammer and even larger chisel. Ah the memories of childhood. :)

9. June 9

Pea soup is the bomb – this is very much like the French Canadian version my Mother would make other than she’d use yellow split peas and a lot of black pepper. It’s so heart warming and pretty good for the soul too.

10. So is this what you were making when you couldn’t find the bay leaf?

I haven’t heard the words Split Pea Anderson’s in years. I love split pea soup, but unfortunately no on else in the house does. I should make it for myself. :)

11. Julie 11

My husband LOVES split pea soup. Me, not so much. I recently made him some cause I’m an awesome wife and I freaked out when the peas disappeared. He assured me that was the desired result. I’ll have to make yours for him next.

12. Noble Pig 12

I wish there is something I could do but unfortunately this is an issue you need to fix on your end.  It sounds like something changed with your computer, possibly the security settings or something not allowing you to view certain pictures.

13. Lisa Sipple 13

I love split-pea and this recipe is so easy!

14. Tamilyn 14

This brings back memories of my Grandma. She loved split pea soup and it was often on her stove.

15. Cassie 15

Oh YUM! I love split pea soup! I have ham in the freezer too… I will definitely make this!

You know, I’ve never had split pea soup. Seriously. I’ll have to make some.

17. giz 17

Oh my – going back to my roots!!! My parents came from Poland and this was exactly the type of soup my mom would make on those cold wintery days. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

18. I’ve been to Pea Soup Anderson’s many times – good memories. Split pea soup is a favorite here and I have a ham bone in the freezer waiting to go into the pot.

19. Sook 19

I still haven’t tried this soup and I’ve been hearing all kinds of good things about it! I will have to try it soon!

20. Mary 20

Pea soup – the yellow pea variety – is on my list of all-time favorite foods. Your recipe sounds terrific.

We’ve had cold weather for a solid 6 weeks & I was beginning to run out of cold weather comfort soups to make. I’d forgotten all about split pea. Yum! So that will be next on my list & yours (as always) looks fabuloso!

22. Looks lovely and happens to what I am having for lunch today on this cold Sunday….brrr! Great job and lovely recipe! Hoping you a wonderful and happy New Year!

23. Vern 23

Yum!

24. wow that looks delicious! I’m here in the snow in Canada. I could use that right now

25. Mmmmm….I LOVE Split Pea soup!! This couldn’t be easier or look yummier! That surely is one gorgeous photo!

26. Yep exactly. that’s how I make mine too basically. I saute my onions and celery and then add the other things. it’s just flat delicious isn’t it? I made a huge pot and it didn’t last long.

27. Tammy 27

My husband makes a very delicious pea soup, very similar recipe as yours! It’s soooo good!

28. Lydia 28

I love that we’ve both posted split pea soup today, but our soups are completely different. It’s amazing how the simple split pea can do so many things!

29. MMMM sounds good for a cold day like today!

30. annb 30

That looks delicious! As does that hot chocolate and the spaghetti with an egg on top – which I’ve never seen before on spaghetti, egg on pan roasted asparagus, yes – really looks like it would be wonderful.
    (I’m commenting here on everything as I tend to come by here every few days or so as time allows, read the posts I haven’t and then comment. Unfortunately I can only comment once and then for the next 5 – 10 minutes can’t make another comment. A little window pops up telling me you can only make 1 comment a minute, tho it’s more like 8 minutes. So I decided this is the best way to let you know I’m still enjoying your blog and all your posts very much!

31. Kari 31

After yesterdays facebook post, you should have said “remove the bay leaf if you can find it!!” :-)
    I make my pea soup with smoked turkey drumsticks and it is soooo delicious! Very meaty. I have always added a bit of liquid smoke to my bean and pea soups as well. Nice flavor.

I love split pea soup, but, sadly, my dearly beloved does not. So I am required to simply drool over your pictures.

33. Amanda 33

This looks wonderful Cathy. I love split pea soup. We bought half a pig over the summer, so I have some hocks in the freezer too!

34. leslie 34

I love love love split pea soup. my mom used to make it all the time for us

35. Mary 35

This looks wonderful. I will have to try it soon. I love soups.

marysbites.com

We love split pea soup. My mom made it often, but she would omit the ham because she didn’t eat meat. I like it both ways!

37. I love split pea soup and happy food memories.

38. mmm mmm mmmm

39. Remeber the Magic Pan? They had the best pea soup! I’ll definitely give this one a whirl.

40. Debby 40

Too funny! I blogged a very similar recipe about a month ago, talking about my childhood at Andersen’s. Your recipe is far better. I made mine in a pressure cooker, which took about an hour. Easy peasy!

41. Lynda 41

I don’t know why I have not made split pea soup before, but that will change now! I love the color and besides, everything is better with a little bit of ham- Yum!

i don’t understand why some people automatically snarl their noses at the thought of split pea soup–it’s delicious! all hail the ham hock!

43. LilSis 43

I honestly don’t know why I’ve never made split pea soup. It’s healthy, fast and easy and my family does enjoy peas; I’ll be trying this recipe soon.

Bookmarking on Delicious right now!

Must have. LOVE pea soup. The husband doesn’t like cooked carrots so I would have to omit.
    Yum.

Oh yum. I’m going to search your blog for a barley recipe. Hope I find something. :)

46. Kaya 46

My life is, so far, dedicated to three disparate chapters:
    1. My life before split pea soup.
    2. My life after split pea soup.
    3. My life after becoming vegetarian and finding Trader Joe’s vegan split pea in a can.

I used to drive the onerous route from PDX to Los Angeles and the image of the Anderson sign still resonates. However, I have yet to eat there! My sole food mission for the journey has always been Granzella’s in Williams. Either way, thank you for posting this recipe. I love a good ode to a good classic. When I was about 16 I finally gave in to sampling the peculiar and odorous green mush that my mom made several times a year; hence, chapter two in my life. Yum! She actually drops everything in a crock pot (ham bone should have a hearty amount of ham remaining on it! Yummo!) and lets it party for about eight hours instead of three. The result is a dense, salty, chunky delight.

I’ve finally found a mildly acceptable replacement for this omnivore’s delight. Check out Trader Joe’s canned soup aisle for a vegan version.

47. Victor 47

Your dearly beloved be darned-lol. Make a 1/2 pound or 1 cup dry peas recipe as I do and freeze the rest. I’m sure the smell coming from the kitchen is bound to lure the significant other into submission-if not? Enjoy your soup-:)