Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

Cinnamon Doughtnut Muffins
I made up these little gems this afternoon in the hopes we would have them for Sunday breakfast. However, they are SO GOOD, I don't anticipate them making it through the night. They will be devoured before bedtime. I know it.

The town I live in does not sport a doughnut shop, can you believe that? The grocery stores sell doughnuts, but I think we all know the taste is not the same as a doughnut shop doughnut. Well, after making these, we no longer need a doughnut shop. These taste better. Way better.

Light, airy and just perfectly, perfect, the recipe makes nine (which is perfect for breakfast), but five have already been eaten by hungry little (and big) mouths.I just know these muffins will be searched out through the evening.

Everyone will just have to be happy with eggs for breakfast because that's all there will be!

In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, and milk.

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins half-full; place one teaspoon jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine took 20) or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Serve warm or room temperature. To die for.

Print Recipe

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

Recipe from: Taste of Home | Serves: 9

Ingredients

• 1-3/4 cups All-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
  • 1 egg Lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 9 teaspoons jam (we prefer strawberry)

Topping

• 1/4 cup Butter
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon

Directions

• In a large bowl,sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; whisk to combine.
  • In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, and milk.
  • Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  • Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half-full; place one teaspoon jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine took 20) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, dip tops in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar.
  • Serve warm or room temperature.

Other Doughnut Muffin Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Doughnut Muffins
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Doughnut Muffins
Apple Cider Donut Muffins

1. I’ve already decided what jam to put in them.

2. Cheryl 2

With 12+” of snow on the ground and church tomorrow already being canceled, I’ll take the brownies my man made today, and raise him the cinnamon doughnut muffins tomorrow. (So doubling the recipe… 😉 )

3. Julie 3

I love the part where you dip the tops in butter…hehe. They look so yummy!

must, MUST try them with the jam in the middle (and some pb)

Well, I’m sure they’re delightful (I mean, look at them!) but no donut shop? That’s most unfortunate.

6. Julia 6

What a great idea! I can see how they wouldn’t make it to Sunday morning…

7. I have seen these before and they look SO good! My sons would love them. Hmmm? I better not make them until tomorrow morning for breakfast!

8. I bookmarked (with actual physical paper stuck in a book) a similar recipe in How to Be a Domestic Goddess and had forgotten about it. Must make these soon!

9. deeba 9

I am SO making these Cathy. The minute I laid my eyes on them, I was won over. Off to soccer league, but will come back and make them! Thank you!

I am not lying, they are already in the oven.

We don’t have a donut shop here either! Just the grocery and we hate it! Your muffins look yummy. They wouldn’t last til morning here either. I love the jam in the middle!

Nope, those will not last the night.

13. Wow! Muffins with a cinnamon blast.

14. Hmmm. Just when I decided to make the chocolate chip coffee cake for breakfast tomorrow, you go and post this…

15. Ginny 15

Delicious! I’ve always wanted to make these… looks good!

16. VIckie 16

I’m so going to be the hero of the day when I make these. Thanks! 😉

17. annbb 17

YUM!

18. Helen 18

Now this is a recipe I MUST try

19. Julie 19

Is it really necessary to sift the flour? Just wondering what the sifting actually does or does not do to a recipe.

20. Julie 20

Is it really necessary to sift the flour? Just wondering what sifting actually does or does not do to a recipe.

21. Looks DELICIOUS! I wish I could try it (and i would. at 2 a.m.) but I don’t have a muffin/cupcake baking tray! Will buy one tomorrow though! Thanks, Cathy!

22. Joellyjay 22

nhami nhami nahmiiiii

23. MaryMoh 23

LOve this. Looks delicious and best is no butter used. Thanks for sharing.

24. Oh, it would be hard to live in a town without a bakery! I’m starving and I come upon these. Too bad bakeries are not open on Sundays here…..

25. Debbie 25

My husband and son would go crazy for these. I am keeping this recipe and making them. You’re right….who needs a donut shop with these. Delicious!!!

OMG. How many comments start with OMG when you post a luscious recipe? These I’ll definitely make.

27. Tammy 27

Could those be any easier to make?! I want one right now.

28. I love cinnamon sugar topped muffins, and the jam inside is such a great idea! These wouldn’t last long in my house either.

29. Carol 29

WOW…..those photos have me drooling. Who needs a donut shop when you can have these grace your table warm from the oven?
    Oh my….I must make these soon!

30. What a good idea of putting jam in the middle. I must try these. No doubt that they did not last the night.

31. Noble Pig 31

Sifting, when baking from scratch accomplishes three things…helps to combine ingredients, it aerates the dry ingredients and removes any lumps.

Sifting decompresses the flour by working air into it, which makes the ingredients much easier to work into the batter.  This results in LESS stirring, which means you will not overmix and as a result, less gluten production.  This is especially important when MAKING MUFFINS.

Even if sifting is not indicated in a recipe, it’s always good policy to do so.  I always have people write to me and say something didn’t turn out as moist as yours….most of the time it’s because they didn’t sift.

32. June 32

Guess what’s on our breakfast menu tomorrow? I’m gonna’ be so popular!

33. Anthony 33

u should set ur website for people to post on their FaceBook!

34. Hey, consider yourself lucky that your town doesn’t sport a donut shop… for diet’s sake! Or perhaps that’s a good idea for a new biz :)

These look like a delicious Sunday breakfast for sure!

35. Lisa 35

These look fantastic! My husband would love these.

really, i’d rather have a doughnut muffin than an actual doughnut, but that’s just me. your little squirt of jam filling is inspired. :)

37. Lea Ann 37

I’m going to make these, AND, I’ve still got about 4 jars of that wonderful Marionberry Jam I brought home from Oregon. Sounds pretty good doesn’t it Cathy????

38. Scate 38

Beautiful! AND getting ‘doughnuts’ without having to fry – lovely. Thanks for sharing!

39. Thanks for yet another great recipe that can be made from pantry ingredients. And I bet these did not make it to Sunday morning. 😉

40. They look so good! Looks so moist!

41. I do love cinnamon and as you said the look so good.

42. First, I can’t believe there is no donut shop near-by, I thought that was one of the necessities of life for a community.

These look so good I can see why there were probably none left for today, your men sure do get to eat well. You all are going to need the filling food for all the hard work ahead of you getting the vineyard ready for planting!

43. elra 43

What could be better to enjoy on Sunday morning Cathy. Doughnut muffins sounds really good to me.

44. Oh my is about all I can think of to say right now as I am mesmerized by the screen.

45. Patty 45

These look wonderful! I’m going to have to try them.

Wow but these look good. Never mind the filling, they look perfect on their own.

47. Jill 47

We make these all the time! My kids started calling them “Sparkly Muffins” because the cinnamon-sugar on the top sparkles! We usually make them without the jam and make them as mini muffins. But I’m going to have to try them with the jam. And that’s just sad about no donut shop.

48. I’m still fighting my addiction to the peanutbutter muffins… Now these? I’m sunk.

49. Alta 49

Oh yes, these sound wonderful! My kids would be ALL over these.

My list of your recipes I must make keeps growing longer and longer – these look amazing. So do your little chocolate cakes down below. Mmmmm!

51. Lisa Sipple 51

We made these today and they were amazing and moist and just these bites of heaven!!

OK this and the last post make me crave sweets. Yum! Oh and mac and cheese looks great. Must try.

53. You’re killing me today, sigh. I wish I was home baking these right now!

54. Reminds me of cinnamon toast. But better! I’m curious…did they last till morning?

55. Lisa 55

There are way too few doughnut shops in the Pacific Northwest! And while grocery store doughnuts are ok they are not even nearly the same thing. Glad you’ve come up with a suitable muffin alternative.

56. christine 56

I just made these, and you are right, they are to die for!!!! Thank you!!

57. factopo 57

ahh, this is making me hungry. thanks a lot

58. Sarah 58

perfect way to procrastinate on things that need to get done! hehe thanks!!

59. Barry eagan 59

60. okeanide 60

stumbleupon’d here for the zillionth time. congrats on ‘escaping’ d-town! recently did the same myself. every time stumble brought me here i would turn to my bf and say “THIS is the one [recipe/food blog] i’ve told you about, she could be our neighbor!” lol! as always, this recipe looks delish!

61. rama 61

these look far out. ican actually taste them. this is going to be made for sure.

62. littlemrs 62

I just made these and they are so yummy. I doubled the recipe so I can give some to my friends tomorrow. I used peach preserves. Though next time I make them I will add more cinnamon to the dough next time, I am addicted to cinnamon.

63. Casey 63

I happened upon this recipe last night and simply had to try them. They turned out wonderfully, nice and moist. I decided to use apple jelly as a filling, which turned out very well and tasted great with all the cinnamon. Thanks so much for sharing this.

64. Excellent point! Also I sift even if using so-called pre-sifted flour.

65. Marie 65

I just cooked these and they are so tasty! I usually dislike jam or jelly filled anything because they tend to be too sweet, but the jam gave it a fruitiness and was the right amount of sweet. These were very fast and easy to make and definitely something I’d love in the morning. TY!!!

66. Kayola 66

OH MY STINKIN’ STARS!!!!! Those look de-lish…..I wonder how many weight watcher points for a dozen? YUMMY!

67. Becca 67

Thanks for the recipe, these were SO GOOD! I had some Dove dark chocolates lying around, so I put half of one into each muffin with the strawberry jam… Can’t. Stop. Eating. 😀 Thanks again!

68. Jessica 68

Suggestion- double the recipe. I just made these, using a standard sized muffin pan (12 muffins) and ran out of batter to cover the last 4 muffins!

69. Dawn 69

I am making these right now. I used raspeberry jam for half, and butterscotch ice cream topping for the other half. the butterscotch is melting out the sides and top and camelizing beautifully. can’t wait til they are done!

70. Tom 70

So I just made these, and they went down really well with everyone! One small problem I had was that the jam sank to the bottom of them while baking! So I was pulling them out of the pan, and the jam was the bottom of them all, pooled at the base of each muffin cup.

71. Michael Rose 71

Phenomenal…so easy, and for most people no need to go down to the shops to buy any more ingredients! Just made them, and they are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

72. Noble Pig 72

That’s interesting. Was your jam room temperature or cold? Mine was cold and I had no problem, not even sure if that is the issue.

73. Tom 73

The jam was cold. I think what it was is that I mixed the batter too much, so it was very smooth and runny. Which would have been fine were there not heavier elements like jam in this equation. Next time I’ll add more flour if it’s not thickening up.

NOTE: also, blackberry jam is not the best to use.

74. Noble Pig 74

That could have been it.  The rule with baking is always, stop mixing 10 seconds before you think it’s done.

75. Justine 75

Wow! These are so good! I made them last night and finished the tops this morning! So yummy!! My bff send me the recipe to make for her so they’re off to Orange County, CA from Denver today =)
    Thanks for the recipe! Delicioso!!
    xoxo

76. Rachael 76

So… I stumbled on this recipe late last night (as I do so many of your great recipes, pumpkin cake = amazing!) and I was amazed at how simple it sounded, for once I had all the ingredients to make something without having to run to the store first. Then this morning after our big snow storm last night I woke my fiance up early and convinced him to shovel because I said I’d make home made muffins for him. Muahahahah! Thank you for your continued service in giving me baked goods to bribe him with!

77. lo 77

A similar recipe used to be a regular treat at our house… but I haven’t made muffins lately. Maybe it’s time to change all that!

78. Sandra 78

I made those yesterday and tried a few with peanut butter in them. It’s even better than jam! What a great idea, loved the dough and especially the topping. Got to make some again. It’s such an easy and quick recipe, I guess we’ll be living on them for a while 😉

79. Lauren 79

i made these muffins…twice because they are so delicious! they are super easy and come out beautifully. hubby and i LOVE them!

80. Tanya 80

when I was a kid I used to make these all the time, minus the jam… I haven’t thought about them at all though, until I stumbled across your blog. Thank you so much!! I think I will make these this weekend!

81. Emily 81

I came across this recipe two days ago and I just made them this morning. Absolutely heavenly! They are delicious, but the jam I put in them just sunk to the bottom instead of staying as a filling. I’m still in love!

82. Ben Rudisin 82

83.

84. Esteline 84

I will try these sooner than later.
    My take would be all of the above but want to use lemon curd replacing the jam, it’s hubby’s favorite.

85. Melissa 85

I looked the original recipe and I am trying to figure out what you adapted b/c I want to make them how you did. It looks like there may be some zest in your batter, but I don’t see that in your instructions. Was that your adaptation?

86. Delia 86

Ohhhhh mannn. I just popped these out of the oven. They are PHENOMENAL.
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
    GAWD these are good. haha

87. Kay 87

Have to try this with apple butter in the middle instead of jam. The apple butter will be the perfect pairing with cinnamon.

88. Sierra 88

Hello! I just finished making your muffins and they turned out fantasically! Thank you so much for posting this delicious recipe. you are my hero! :)

89. Emma 89

These are in the oven right now! I’m so excited! They look delicious! Thanks for posting this recipe!

90. Jean-Paul 90

I made these the other day for my family and they went crazy! I am a celebrity in my house now, haha! This recipe is great, I’ve already substituted strawberry jam for apple jelly, as well as peach jam (they are in the oven as I type this!)

91. wesley 91

i tried making these, but the jelly keeps sinking to the bottom and coming out!! any suggestions, they taste soo good anyways but look kinda silly! help!

92. Tom 92

I find what I have to do is add another half cup of flour when I’m done mixing the flour and the egg/sugar/oil together because it’s invariably too runny (I mix too well… :S). The extra 1/2 cup of flour thickens the mixture back up again, so your jam should stop sinking. Hopefully. :)

93. Annie 93

These were soooooo good and easy to make! I used my home made apple butter for the filling and it was the perfect compliment for the cinnamon. Thanks for the recipe!

94. Katie 94

oh my goodness, my fiance just made a batch of these for me as i was feeling poorley. absolutley AMAZING i would throughly reccomend this recipe. if a man can do it anyone can!!

Just made these right now with a slight change, instead of dipping in cinnamon-sugar-butter I brushed the top with melted butter and baked as to form a crust. Then I dusted with powdered sugar. Either way these are super delicious.

96. P D Yerf 96

Just wanted to let you know that I just made these (and immediately sampled one as well, of course) and they are absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe!!!

97. You’re so right! Who needs a doughnut shop when you can make thee?!

I am going to make them first thing tomorrow morning and take them to my husband at work to share with his team.

Of course keeping one or two back for myself..

98. Samantha 98

Wow- just made these, incredible!!

99. Marissa 99

Just made these for the children I nanny. Despite my diet I couldn’t resist one, and it was like heaven! Must eat them warm!! So delicious. Thanks for sharing!

100. Beverly 100

What beautiful muffins and I know they would be awesome with a cup of coffee!

101. nina 101

How many muffins does this recipe render and what would be your suggestions for the jelly or jam to be dropped in the muffin?

102. I learn something new everyday or get to read about other people’s experience which is why I love reading blogs.

103. Karolina 103

These look amazing! But I wonder in the photo it looks at though you added lemon zest in the batter but the recipe calls for none. Just wondering if I am seeing things or is it just better without the zest?

104. Kelly 104

These look totally wonderful! Question — have you ever tried apple butter instead of jam? Reason I ask is, a friend gave me some homemade apple butter and I’m trying to think of ways to use it other than just spreading it on pancakes or whatever (not that there is anything wrong with that … ) I may try a batch just to see how they turn out — if they do I will write again to let you know!

105. Rachel 105

This are absolutely delicious! Instead of adding jam in the middle i added banana and it tastes so good!

106. emily 106

I made these on sunday and they were so tasty. Great recipe!

107. Brig 107

This recipe was fabulous!! I actually tried making them without the jam, and they’re so yummy!

This recipe is worth writing down on an actual piece of paper as opposed to just keeping in my “stumbles” file.

THANK YOU!!!

108. Anna 108

Just made these, they really do somehow taste like donuts – Delicious! I used strawberry jam and doubled the recipe, it filled 12 regular and 24 mini muffins perfectly.
    Also, I didn’t sift the flour and they came out great.

109. Avery 109

Just made 2 batches for husband and to take to family! one batch i put strawberry jam and in the other i put chocolate chips (kinda like a chocolate filled donut) DELISH!!

110. Shai 110

I think my boyfriend might propose when these come out of the oven in about 2 minutes :) I used homemade apple butter for the filling, can’t wait to taste these!!

111. RaeMarie Duce 111

Wow these look wonderful, I make a homemade Apple Pie Jam that should be perfect in them !!

112. Ciara 112

O.M.G!
    I love jam donuts. The best jam donuts I’ve ever had are sold in Ireland. Nothing here compares.

But these muffins are wonderful! I stretched the batter to make 12. I will definitely be making these again.

113. Lacey 113

This is my absolute favorite muffin recipe! I’ve made it several times, and it’s much loved!

Thank you!

114. Veronica L. 114

Made them this morning, and they were to die for! Will be making these often. Thanks for another great recipe!

115. DaphneSFL 115

These have been on my list of things to bake for a year..why did i wait so long?!? I just took these out of the oven. Holy crap, they are RIDICULOUSLY good!

116. Nora 116

Do you use salted or unsalted butter? Is it just a matter of preference?