Dried Apricot and Cherry Granola

I have always been a dried fruit and nuts girl.  I find them so satisfying and can easily and happily make a meal with just a handful of cashews.  I also love granola, but I enjoy homemade best.

There are so many recipes for granola out there.  I’d love to try them all.  Being a fast eater, granola also helps me slow down and chew due to the crunch factor.  It’s a good thing.

This recipe makes a bunch so it’s great for gifting too.  Eat with a bowl of milk or sprinkle over yogurt, you’ll love it.

Toast sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and pepitas in a 350 degree oven on a baking sheet for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly brown.  After removing seeds, toast almonds and pecans for 5 to 8 minutes in the same temperature oven.

In a large bowl stir together the oatmeal, wheat germ, coconut, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pepitas, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.

In a small bowl whisk together the honey and oil.  Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir until all of the dry mixture is coated.  Spread onto two large rimmed baking sheets and bake in the lower or middle part of the oven for 30 minutes at 325 degrees, stirring at least 4 times.  Stir in dried apricots and cherries and bake for another 10 minutes stirring once.  Remove from oven and let cool, stirring every few minutes.

This will easily be my breakfast for the next couple of weeks.

Dried Apricot and Cherry Granola

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1-1/2 cups chopped dried tart cherries

Cooking Notes: One of the most important things about granola is not to let it burn in the oven.  The original recipe called for an initial 45 minute baking time and then adding the dried fruit and baking for another 15 minutes.  I could tell after 30 minutes this would be too long.  Next time I make this I might even consider lowering the oven temperature to 300 degrees and see if that changes anything.  I believe this is all due to your particular oven so you just have to watch it and be vigilant about the stirring.  The granola continues to cook once out of the oven which is why it is very important to keep stirring it while it’s cooling.  If you don’t, the granola will stick to the bottom of the baking sheet.

To Give: Pack into a pretty canister or jar or cellophane gift bag tied with an attractive ribbon.

To Keep: Granola will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container before it begins to go stale.  Or transfer to a zip-top freezer bag and freeze up to six months.

One Year Ago: Would You Rather…

1. It’s so nice to know I’m not the only person on the planet who eats fast… :)

I’ve never made granola, but this recipe is very tempting. It would be great to put together on a cold wintery day!

Mmmm, granola. Sounds fantastic, I would love a handful or two for breakfast right now. Great picture too.

3. I am also a “dried fruits and nuts girl”. When I visit my parents I have to make a trip to Trader Joe’s for trail mix and granola fix. I’ve even asked my mother to sip some to me here in Texas.

4. Helsie 4

Wow that looks great. I must try it
    Cheers

5. This really looks delicious and is so easy to make. Want to try it during my holiday break. Beautiful photos!

6. Alta 6

I could munch on this and be so happy. I love granola. To convert to gluten-free, I’ll just swap wheat germ for almond meal and use GF oats – yippee for easy!

7. I LOVE granola, almost as much a chocolate! 😉
    You know what I hate though, when you’re making a yummy back with orange zest and POM juice and your burn it in the last few minutes of baking! I’m just saying…I hate that. 😉

I love granola too, it makes such great gifts!

9. Tammy 9

I would have never thought to make my own granola! That looks really appealing

10. June 10

Wow, wouldn’t this be good on an apple, pear or rhubarb crisp too – or any crisp, or why not just by the handful? Mmm (OK, so I’ve had too much coffee – LOL)

11. LilSis 11

This looks like a great granola recipe! I’d love this on top of some yogurt in the morning.

so not only is this a DELICIOUS blend of granola ingredients, but it’s so pretty too! i love the colors of the deep red cherries and bright orange apricots. beautiful!

13. Kari 13

I make a similar granola, but bake it at 250 degrees for an hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. I also add the fruit after all the baking is done. Comes out crunchy and yummy every time, and the fruit stays soft.

14. I love granola and have never made it from scratch before and this looks fantastic.

BTW, I love eating it over homemade vanilla ice cream. YUM!

That’s how I like my granola – heavily studded with fruits and nuts.

16. oh my… what a great gift and wonderful breakfast… but with dried banana chips

17. Lena in VT 17

Love the fruit choices in here!! Overall beautiful coors.

18. Mary 18

For reasons I don’t quite understand, I’ve never made granola. Your recipe is a standout and I’m sore tempted to try it.

I love granola on my yogurt! This looks delicious and I will give it a try!

Moving you to Oregon has made you into a real food gifter, I see! I’ve seen a number of granola recipes out there, and one of these days I will try some out! (My husband refers to granola as “horse feed”. My daughters and I tell him he’s a dope.)

I love making granola – yours looks delicious Cathy.

My husband wants me to make this tomorrow. I have to go to the grocery store first, but it does look a lot better and tastier than the granola from the box. The boxed kind is all we have ever eaten. I know we are in for a treat if you tried it and recommended it. Thank you for this breakfast food recipe. A batch would last us a couple of weeks and so that way I get out of cooking breakfast for a while. lol

23. Lisa 23

Homemade granola is the best! I really love apricots in granola. Very pretty and it would make an exceptional gift. Thanks for the idea!

24. gp 24

we are huge granola fans here at the inn

enjoy
    gp

25. Melynda 25

Major YUM, have ingredients, check. Have time, check. Have desire, check check.

26. Jeff 26

The local co-op has this granola we have labeled as crack because it is so good. I keep forgetting how easy it is to make too. Dang now I must make some this weekend.

27. Donalyn 27

Beautiful looking stuff Cathy! Not to pimp my own blog [but I’m gonna] – for a great recipe using dried cherries, check out my post yesterday – the bomb!