Coconut Cream Pie

When I put out the call on Facebook for a beloved Coconut Cream Pie recipe, several of you responded with some favorite choices.  Ultimately, I went with my old friend Angela’s (from grade school and high school), mother-in-law’s (you got that) old standby.  A recipe she has successfully made many times before and ultimately got from Southern Living.

I have to say I love coconut cream pie, the sweetness is the perfect ending to a meal.  I think I like it better than banana cream pie.

I made my own crust with the recipe I always use, but feel free to use your own crust recipe or a store-bought crust.  Of course homemade will always taste best.

The pie is simple to make, it’s essentially just making custard, pouring it into a blind-baked pie shell and letting it set.

I originally wanted to pipe on my whipped cream with a large star tip but I could not find it at the time.  I think that would have made it easier to cut as the whipped cream can become a tad oozy if it’s not set completely.  Don’t ask me how I know this.

Overall, the pie was a winner.  Thanks Angela for sharing it with me.

Make pie crust and blind-bake or bake according to package directions before adding filling.

Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks and milk in a heavy saucepan, stir well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils (this could take 8-10 minutes…do not hurry this step).  Boil for 3 minutes while continuing to stir.  Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and coconut.

Pour filling into baked pie shell and place saran wrap directly on custard to prevent skin from forming.  Cool in shell and then chill in refrigerator until firm, at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.

For the topping, whip cream and sugar together.  Spread over chilled pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

So, so yummy.

1 baked pie shell

Topping:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted

One Year Ago: Autumn Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

I love coconut cream pie, but have never had a recipe!! Thank you!

2. I’m not a huge coconut fan, but this pie looks pretty tasty…

3. Carol 3

Yum, that looks wonderful!

4. these look so good. Thanks for the recipe

5. That looks fantastic. I love coconut.

6. I can’t remember the last time I had coconut cream pie. It looks wonderful!

Mmmmrrrrroooooooww! I adore coconut Cream Pie more than anything & hubby hates it. What I’d give to have a slice of that!

My husband has been asking me to bake a coconut cream pie for a very long time, but he wants it like his mother used to make, with a meringue instead of the whipped cream on top. I do not do pies as a rule, so I have never made one. I did make your upside down apple pie and it was to die for! One of these days I will get enough courage to make a coconut cream. My hubby says that when you buy coconut cream pies, there is never enough coconut in it for him. It looks like this pie has plenty of coconut in it. I am saving it, and maybe I can do it with whipping cream and he will not know the difference! Thanks for the recipe. The pictures are perfect and seeing the pictures gives me confidence that I can do it!

9. Oh, I LOVE coconut cream pie! The best comes from a pie shop in a town in Louisiana where my mother grew up. It is heaven on a plate.

10. Katrina 10

It certainly looks so, so yummy!

11. Mmm… coconut cream pie sounds absolutely wonderful! I love the coconut flavor!

12. JIM-49 12

Wasn’t there a song,”Walking to Oregon” ?? That looks so good!! I been hit up for one,about 3 months,I might have to fill the order,but will to get a fresh coconut.Lady you don’t let your readers down!!

My husband would love this, he’s a big coconut fan!

oh my stars! you know I am a coconut lover. so since you’ve gone to all the trouble of making sure this is a good recipe I can now make this. lol

I made 5 pies for Thanksgiving, all with home made crust, and I credit your encouragement in part for helping me to learn. I love coconut cream pie, but I’m a tiny minority in this household. Yours looks divine!

16. Lisa 16

I love cocconut cream oie and this one looks excellent!

17. Donna 17

That looks delicious, Cathy!

18. Oh yum!

I just wish I had your knack with pie crusts! Something tells me that all these pies I’ve been making would be so much better if I used a REAL crust that I made. Trouble is, I just can’t get it right. :-(

Oh well, I’m still making THIS pie!

19. KathyB. 19

Coconut cream pie…the very words conjure up clouds of fluffy coconut topping a luscious filling guaranteed to set the mouths of a room full of people drooling and cause one to know you cannot make enough coconut cream pie to satisfy them.Although I do not care for cream pies of any kind, I make them and never have any left overs..this is an “add to the recipe collection” must.

20. Lemon Meringue and Coconut Cream are two of my favourite pies to end a meal.

this is stupendous, mostly because there’s no stinkin’ meringue involved. that always spoils a coconut pie for me, which is sad since it’s one of my absolute favorite pie flavors.

22. imom 22

My dad’s favorite pie, right there! I’ve never made one though.

23. June 23

Looks luscious! One of my faves too!

24. I’m totally making your recipe. My sister makes the one off the coconut package and dumps Cool-Whip on the top and for a pie princess like me, it was not worth all those calories AT ALL. This looks like just what I was looking for.

I really think I need to teach my husband to like coconut! But at least my mom does so maybe I’ll have to make this for she and I, cuz I know I love a good coconut pie.

26. I do love coconut cream pie. I have been craving it for months and still haven’t had a chance to make it. Either I don’t have time, or I’m obliged to bake other things. I think my 2010 resolution should be to bake a coconut cream pie, don’t you think?

I have two favorite recipes. I used to think my ultimate recipe was one I used where coconut milk is part of the custard and there is also a nice shot of rum.

Then a couple of years ago I acquired a new cookbook that had a recipe where the custard and the coconut is folded into a whitei-chocolate-flavored whipped cream and placed in a Nilla Wafer crust. My husband counts it as one of his favorite desserts ever, so it gave my old version some competition!

27. Beautiful pie. Coconut is one of my favorites. Would love to have a slice with my tea.

28. Sounds like a winner!! Beautiful pie pic too!

29. I love coconut cream pie, and this looks like a beauty! I haven’t made one for a few years, and now I’ll be craving it.

30. This is one of my Ma’s specialties along with her banana cream. Your’s looks perfectly beautiful. Ma’s are a little bit, well, sloppier. But still good…

31. roopa 31

I will be surely trying this, it looks like a winner and my hubby is an all time fan of coconut based sweets :)

32. LilSis 32

I can’t tell you how much I’d love a piece of this pie right now!! I’ve never made a coconut cream pie but I’d love to try this recipe! It looks amazing!

33. Jill 33

My dad loves cream pies and this year he will be a guest at my party and I want to make him the best cream pie I can. Your recipe is the one I am going to try. Thanks for sharing.

34. Amanda 34

I love Coconut pie and would recommend trying Bob’s Red Mill Coconut.
    The pieces are size of ribbons…it’s the best. :))

35. Looks way awesome. Can’t wait to make it. :)

36. My wife tried the recipe, she totally omitted some ingredients (couldn’t get them), but it still came out wonderful. How the heck do you do it?

37. If you are willing to buy a car, you would have to get the business loans. Furthermore, my mother usually utilizes a car loan, which seems to be the most fast.