Chicken Poblano Casserole

I don't make a lot of casserole type dishes but I must admit they are nice to have around.  They are dinner one night and lunch the next day, sometimes two.

This is a Cooking Light recipe so it's easy on the calories without sacrificing a lot of flavor.  However, some healthier recipes like this one tend to be more labor intensive.  You can save some time preparing by roasting the peppers and shucking and broiling the corn in advance.

We ate this over several days, it reheats nicely.  Overall a great meal to have around these days since I seem to be busier and busier and don't have lots of time to make something new every night.

If you don't have a few hours to prepare this during the week, make it on the weekend and use it for leftovers or lunches during the week.  I think you'll like it.

You should be able to coat the back of a spoon.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine bell pepper, corn remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup Mexican cheese, red onion, cilantro, eggs and ricotta.

Coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of dish.  Arrange 6 tortillas over sauce, overlapping slightly.  Spread half of ricotta mixture over tortillas; top with half of chicken.  Sprinkle with 1/3 cup green onions and 2/3 cup Mexican cheese.  Pour about 1 cup sauce over cheese.  Repeat layers with 6 tortillas, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining chicken, 1/3 cup green onions, 2/3 cup Mexican cheese, 1 cup sauce and 6 tortillas.

Makes 12 servings.

Worth the effort.

Chicken Poblano Casserole
Adapted from Cooking Light

3 poblano or pasillo chiles (about 12 ounces)
1 large red bell pepper (about 8 ounces)
3 ears shucked corn
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1-1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3-1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 cups (12 ounces) pre-shredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican cheese blend, divided
(I did not use reduced fat)
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 (15 ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
Cooking spray
18 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
3-3/4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided

Preheat broiler.  Cut poblanos and bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.  Place poblanos and bell pepper, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.  Place corn on baking sheet.  Broil for 10 minutes or until poblanos and bell peppers are blackened  and blistery (if they are not you will not be able to get the skin off) and corn is lightly browned.  Place poblanos and bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes.  Peel and coarsely chop peppers; set poblanos and bell pepper aside separately.  Remove corn kernels from cobs.  This is also a good time to cut up chicken breast.

Lightly spoon flour, using the scoop and sweep method, into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.  Place flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a large saucepan.  Gradually add milk (before turning on the heat), stirring with a whisk.  Cook over medium heat until slightly thick (about 12 minutes), stirring constantly; remove from heat.  You should be able to coat the back of a spoon.  Combine 1 cup milk mixture and poblanos in a food processor or blender; process until smooth.  Stir pureed poblano mixture into remaining milk mixture.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of dish.  Arrange 6 tortillas over sauce, overlapping slightly.  Spread half of ricotta mixture over tortillas; top with half  the chicken.  Sprinkle with 1/3 cup green onions and 2/3 cup Mexican cheese.  Pour about 1 cup sauce over cheese.  Repeat layers with 6 tortillas, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining chicken, 1/3 cup green onions, 2/3 cup Mexican cheese, 1 cup sauce and 6 tortillas.  Pour remaining sauce over tortillas.  Coat 1 side of foil with cooking spray; place foil, coated side down, over casserole.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup Mexican cheese and 1/3 cup green onions.  Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts and is slightly golden brown.  Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Nutrition information based on 12 servings:  Calories 369 (29% from fat); Fat 11.9 g; Protein 33.1g; Carb 33.8g; Fiber 3.6g; CHOL 98mg; IRON 1.8mg; SODIUM 594mg; CALC 536mg

Cooking Notes: Make sure to serve this with a green salsa, it really enhances the flavor.  If you are not concerned about calories, use any percentage milk you choose (whole, 2% etc.), don't worry about using reduced fat cheese and even increase the amount of cheese if you like.  A dollop of sour cream is a nice addition as well.

If you love Casseroles, here are 20 Comforting Casseroles recipes you must try.

1. Pablanos are one of my favorite peppers and I never ever miss a chance to make something if I come across a recipe. I usually make a stuffed pablano dish for Christmas eve but I might just have to make this, this year!

2. Scate 2

Looks fantastic! It is tough to find a casserole recipe that incorporates taste, fresh ingredients,and healthy/lower calories…

Thanks for sharing! It will be a great “hot dish” for cold Minnesota!

3. LilSis 3

I thought I had a good Chicken Chile Casserole recipe until I saw yours! This is something that my hungry guys will go crazy over! I LOVE the closeup photo where you can see all the layers of the tortillas in the casserole! And the fact that it’s lower in calories is a bonus!

4. Brian 4

This looks really good. I love all the Mexican flavors. I think I’ll have to try this soon. Thanks

5. it sounds scrumptious, think I’ll save it for winter, we’re into salads right now just too hot for a lovely casserole

6. I have never , ever bought or prepared a poblano. Your recipes have given me an education in foods and ingredients, and what is what in the supermarket.This sounds delicious..thanks a lot! Now I have to find poblano’s at the supermarket and I still cannot find a reasonably close source of creme’ fraiche!

7. Janine 7

This looks YUM!!!

OMG. That looks good. I love Cooking Light.

9. This would be good on a cold, snowy night. Yum…

10. Angie 10

This looks so delicious! I have to admit the term casserole makes me cringe, I have had so many disgusting ones at potlucks or other people’s homes growing up, my mom never made them. I only had 2 before I liked, a friends, broccoli, and a tuna noodle spinach artichoke heart that I found somewhere. Thanks I will be making this as soon as the turkey leftovers are gone next week!Oh, and perfect picture!

11. Lea Ann 11

Fabulous photos. This does look delicious. I agree, a weekend attempt is in my future. Thanks for the recipe.

12. Mexican is my middle name! Looks great!!!

13. Mom24 13

I don’t know if I can get my family to eat this or not, but it looks wonderful to me, so I’m definitely going to give it a try.

All those great ingredients and flavors packed into one casserole, and it is still a light meal! Unbelievable! Incredible. This is a must have recipe for those days when you need to prepare something where you will have good reheatable leftovers! Thanks! Your photos were so helpful too. Provided us with such clarity and ease of preparation.

15. Fabulous recipe for a Tex-Mex Lasagna! Now I know what I’m serving at my next buffet!
    Cheers,
    Kathy

Lots of great things in here. My family loves Mexican but it’s always so fattening I don’t make it. This is a great alternative!!

My mouth is watering. I can almost smell it!
    Another one I can’t wait to try.

oh cathy, that last shot? oh man, heavenly. well worth the effort indeed.

19. annbb 19

That looks delicious. Wish I could get my hubs to try it. :(

20. I DO make lots of casserole-type dishes–and I will definitely be trying this one!!

21. Katrina 21

Looks de-lish. I love leftovers!

22. elra 22

Love poblano chilie, you really know how to make a delicious looking dish.

OH, be still my heart! A new casserole for me to make. You know how I love them because I always make it into two & stick one in the freezer. This looks absolutely dynamite!

24. June 24

Might have to earmark some left over turkey bird for this one. It looks wonderful!

25. Mary 25

This is my kind of casserole. Can’t wait to cook it. I found your blog through foodblogs.com and can’t wait to follow you. I just started a food blog earlier this year and as I read about you I could relate to your story. I also would love to own and run a vineyard. I am jealous that you have one!!! But I would really like for mine to be in Italy. Oh well, you never know where life will take you. Anyway, love your blog and hope you will visit mine. http://www.marysbites.com

26. What a pretty casserole. Looks delicious!

27. I was ready to rush out and make this as soon as I read the title Cathy.

28. Biz 28

I love everything about this dish, but sadly, no one else in my family would touch it! :(

I might make it for myself and freeze it for lunches though!

Thanks for the recipe!!

Oh yeah, soooo worth the effort!

30. Mags 30

I had my family’s Thanksgiving yesterday and I think this will be a great way to use some of the leftover turkey. It looks delicious!

31. Holy cow that looks amazing!

I love having deluxe leftovers like that too.

Your pictures are awesome!

32. This looks fabulous! I love making casseroles like this one. Can’t wait to try it!

33. Donna 33

You always make casseroles look so pretty in a photo.. mine come out like a glutiness mess.

It sounds delicious.

34. Wow, this could be made gluten free with just the substitution of gluten-free flour. Beautiful dish. I can’t imagine anyone not liking this one, Cathy. :-)

Shirley

35. Darla 35

This looked great, so I made it tonight! It was a lot of fun with the different steps and turned out wonderfully! Very tasty…I will be eating the leftovers this week until Thanksgiving dinner :)

layer upon layer of delicious ingredients. love the spice and love the look of the final goods–the perfect potluck dish, although i’d be hard-pressed to share!

37. I love layered casseroles with tortillas, and the poblano sauce sounds fantastic!

38. Julie 38

OMG! That first pic makes me drool! I think there’s a hispanic supermarket near me that sells those peppers freshly steamed sitting there in plastic bags ready to go. They’re still warm when you get there and the smell is just maddening! And NOW I’ve got a good use for them :)

39. I’m not really a casserole person, either…this made both me and my teenage daughter stop our conversation mid-sentence. We both said, “Ooooo…” :) Thanks for the great recipe!

40. Rindy R 40

wow – this looks amazing! I those these flavors and will be trying this one out over the holidays!

41. Make your life more easy take the mortgage loans and all you require.

42. Kim 42

Made this, it was time consuming~ But EVERYONE LOVED IT. I made full fat version ’cause that’s how I roll!~ Perfect, however found that it took about twice as long to cook (perhaps it’s my oven) Thanks ♥

43. Terri 43

We are a low carb family; I’m going to try this without the tortillas. I’ll let you know if it works!
    Thanks for the inspiration. These flavors sound wonderful.

44. Amanda 44

We loved it but doctored up the sauce a bit to add some flavor after tasting (added minced garlic, cumin, cilantro and smoked paprika). Also added a little extra salt to the ricotta mixture. Very flavorful!