This classic coffee cake owes its extra-moist texture to the sour cream in the batter, while the topping makes a crunchy top layer.
This coffee cake would be a lovely addition to a brunch buffet or served as a sweet foil to a savory dish. This would also complement a fresh fruit salad, maybe with a hint of mint.
I have always loved a good coffee cake, there is nothing better paired with my black coffee in the morning. It's not bad with hot tea either. With the cold, rainy weather we have here in Oregon, this is the perfect morning pick-me-up.
I think you'll like it.
Also, there is no mixer required to make this, so it's just that much easier to throw together.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg just until the yolk and white are blended. Add the sour cream, milk and melted butter and mix well. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are blended. Stir in the chopped apple.
Spread the batter in a buttered 8 x 8 square baking pan. To make the topping, in a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and butter. Using your fingertips, work the ingredients together until a coarse, crumbly mixture forms. Add the walnuts and mix well with your fingertips. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
Bake the coffee cake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the topping is browned and a sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
I might have eaten a few too many pieces of this.
Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
One Year Ago: Maple-Mustard Glazed Chicken
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- RT @LemonTreeCathy: Garlic & Herb CHEESY POTATOES!! You're gonna love them! https://t.co/8IwEgF42NX @Crystal_Farms #CrystalFarmsCheese… https://t.co/wQk85U4qCH, 25 mins ago
- RT @wearychef: Favorite Baked #Spinach #Dip Recipe https://t.co/GoJAZAQmlD This spinach dip recipe is a must make for your next pa… https://t.co/5aSl5JvKw7, 25 mins ago
- Whoa! Skillet Apple #Pie Biscuits https://t.co/6MVefgxWqU via @Melissa_MSSK https://t.co/mSQ0AxPn0Q, 3 hours ago
- RT @Shockinglydlish: Love old #Hollywood? This is THE book for you! L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants: lore + #recipes… https://t.co/yBM3ubGFlt, 3 hours ago
- RT @DramamamaX5: Easy #eggnog pancakes are perfect for the holidays! #recipe https://t.co/WINe0jmShy https://t.co/dTkI530nc8, 3 hours ago