Pasta with Brie, Mushrooms and Arugula

I have never had Brie in pasta.  I have never even thought of adding it to pasta.  However, I am now a convert.  Wow.  We loved this!

This was also very kid friendly dish with no overpowering flavors, just the right balance of gooey cheese and mild mushroom flavors.  The arugula adds a nice peppery background flavor without being spicy.

This is a great lunch, dinner or even first course meal.  I have always loved Brie but this really changed it up in a new way.

A new keeper recipe around here, give it a try.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the mushrooms and onion and cook, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until the mushrooms brown, 5 to 6 minutes.

Toss the pasta with the Brie and reserved (hot) pasta water until the pasta is coated.  Stir in the mushroom mixture and arugula.

With crusty bread, this meal is a knockout.

Pasta with Brie, Mushrooms and Arugula
Adapted from Real Simple

12 ounces penne (3/4 box)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces Brie, rind removed, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup reserved pasta water
4 cups baby arugula

Cooking Note:  I believe the Brie melts best if it is not ice cold from the refrigerator, let it warm up a bit before tossing in the pasta.

1. I love Brie and I’ve never had it in pasta either. And, we haven’t had pasta in a while … hmmm, Mr. GFE loves pasta. Sounds like a great dish to make this weekend.

Thanks!
    Shirley

2. As far as I’m concerned, brie can go in anything. I love it. It melted so beautifully in your pasta. Your photos are drool-worthy.

3. Julia 3

This does sound fantastic! I could also see using tallegio for a more “grown-up” taste… it has all the creaminess of brie with only a mild “stink”.

4. Love the combination of creamy brie and mushrooms with pasta. Perfect for a blustery evening.

5. This looks divine and something I can easily adjust to my own gluten-free version. I don’t eat a lot of cheese, but I’d make an exception for this creamy brie pasta. Love the idea of the arugula mixed in. It looks delicious!

6. This sounds delicious. I don’t think I’ve had brie in pasta either. This summer I just tried Brie in an omelet. Delicious.

7. Yum!! That looks delish!!

8. This looks so good!

That is a pretty brilliant idea with the Brie. I have never seen it in pasta either & now its all I can think about!

I love Brie just about any way it comes at me but hubby hates it. I love it in pasta and on hamburgers, always with *shrooms*. I suppose it’s an acquired taste…

11. Nell 11

Wow. This looks fabulous. The brie hating husband might even like it. (How can anyone hate brie?)

12. Ooh, this looks so good! I was going to make porkchops with figs and shallots tonight but forgot to take the chops out of the freezer, argh! Guess where I’ll be going on my lunch hour, sigh.

13. Lena in VT 13

That is fabulous pasta, great combo.

brie!!!! YUM!!! I bet that is a fantastic combination. I know we will love it. We will forget about the calories, and just enjoy it.

15. Brie on pasta??? My life has officially taking a blissful turn for the better!

Why have I never thought to add brie to pasta? Brilliant and delicious!

17. Mary 17

This sounds incredible. The ingredients brought me to my knees. This is a keeper for sure.

Brie in pasta is genius!

19. I can smell that over here!

i think arugula should always be referred to as rocket, but that’s just me. also, eggplants should be aubergines. i’m british at heart. :)
    great dish, cathy!

21. sounds good, I wonder why they want the rind removed.

22. brie mushrooms & arugula sounds like an excellent combination, so great with pasta!

23. annbb 23

This looks delicious! I do something very similar with tomatoes, basil and brie. Nuthin’ better!

24. Yum! Anything with brie…and mushrooms is a winner in my book! This looks so fresh and flavorful.

Do your kids like Arugula? I don’t know if mine would go for it or not.

25. Lisa 25

That looks so good. I love the flavor combination. It’s mild but not at all simple. Nice idea!

26. Ginny 26

I really don’t need another excuse to eat brie… looks great!

27. This is a perfect meal for me! I love pasta with mushrooms, and the brie sounds incredible.

When I can eat fats again, THIS is the first dish I am going to have. Fantastic!

29. Definitely a keeper Cathy!!!!

30. Katrina 30

(My URL finally matches the name of my blog!–shouldn’t have to change a thing)

The pasta looks de-lish. I’d never thought of brie in a pasta either!

31. elra 31

Delicious pasta dish Cathy, I am in Rome at the moment and have lot’s of pasta dish with mushrooms. YUM!

Penne is probably my favorite pasta shape. I love unusual cheeses with my pasta, and this looks really good!

Excellent combo…I would devour this right up. Love your creativity with pasta and casseroles (and chicken!! LOL)

34. Gloria 34

I love Brie! always is my favorite cheese!! so this dish with pasta is delicious! gloria

35. Debbie 35

It sounds delicious…I love everything that’s in it! I’ll have to try it with Brie since I have never had it that way before!

36. We’d be all over this. In fact I’d like to place an order, please. First tried brie in a cauliflower soup and I agree with being a convert. Amazing flavor. Not to try on pasta.

37. elizabethk 37

Really? – Your kids will eat ‘shrums!? Only one of mine will. I just learned about using mascarpone in a tortellini dish! This is going to be a pasta fest week! :-) You are SO brave and adventurous in your cooking, love it!!

38. Donna 38

I love brie, but can I tell ya I have yet to have it in pasta, for shame on me. This dish looks excellent.

39. Those mushrooms looks terrific. and, I love Brie cheese. LOVE it.

40. What a simple yet yummy idea. Room temperature brie would almost disolve into the hot pasta. Then you scrummy it up further with mushroom and arugula!

Care and huggles to you all there, Michelle and sleeping Zebbycat.

41. I LOVE this! It’s an updated version of my favorite Silver Palate pasta–brie, tomatoes and basil. Yum!

42. EB 42

Should. Not. Have. Looked…. hungry. NOW!

43. Janine 43

I just love your website and all that you do…

44. Kid friendly = Ben friendly.

45. Wow. I love the idea of brie in pasta. You don’t have to add anything to it to make a sauce. It would just melt its naturally creaminess over the pasta. Great idea. I want to make this.

46. Scott 46

My wife cut this recipe out of Real Simple for me to make; I think I’m going to make it tonight! Thanks for giving me the kick in the a$$ that I needed :)

47. Scott 47

I just reread the original recipe – why did you choose to remove the rind of the brie? I actually think that is the best tasting part of the brie!

48. Noble Pig 48

It doesn’t melt and incorporate well, so the cheese melts away from the rind and then you have all these bits of just rind. For adults this might be okay but I knew my kids wouldn’t eat it.

49. Scott 49

That’s a very good point. I didn’t think of that. I do make pizza with whole slices of brie, and it comes out great!

50. Mmm..looks so delicious, anytime I need inspiration for dinner, I come here and see what you’ve posted. Thanks!

51. Kim 51

Cathy, that looks so good. I adore arugula-it is one of my favorite foods. Hope you are all enjoying your new home. I need to catch up and read your archives.

52. I have never had Brie before and this looks simple enough that even I could handle it! And it’s beautiful to boot!

53. Lydia 53

I’ve never thought of brie and pasta either. When I look at your photos, though, I can’t imagine why not — the pasta is jumping right off my computer screen!

54. Don 54

That first picture should be in a magazine.

55. Terri A 55

I think those are all of my favorite foods put together in one dish. Looks fabulous!

56. The recipe looks amazing. I think I’d also like it with goat cheese (one of those cheeses you either love or you hate)!

57. Scott 57

I made this recipe, rind on, with a goat brie, and everything melted very well. When I added the cubed brie to the pot of pasta, I kept the heat on low to aid in the melting of the cheese. Most of the rind melted away, maybe because its goat brie (from Trader Joe’s.)

I also added my own little touch that brought this bowl of pasta to a new level…black truffle oil!!

58. Shelly 58

Where can I find arugula? I have never heard of it. Can’t wait to make this recipe this weekend.

59. Noble Pig 59

Arugula is a lettuce and available in the produce section.

60. Shelly 60

Found the Arugula. Not bad at all.
    Made this dish for dinner and it was delish! 1 son would not eat it. Period. My oldest–21yrs old—fussed about it, but ate it and liked it. 9 & 10yr both loved it and kept eating all of it. Hubby loved it. Can’t wait to make it again, but I could put sauted garlic and silvers of the red onion besides the sauted ones.

61. Shane 61

Living in France I should be able to find these igredients easily…hmm how bout some wild mushrooms instead of the standard button ones above? I think I shall try it.

62. Isa 62

Oooooooh! Looks absolutely delicious. My boyfriend has LOVED brie with a passion bordering on obsession ever since my mother fed it to him in France, haha. Plus we love mushrooms. I think I will make him this for his birthday. Thanks for sharing!

63. Margarita 63

This is delicious! I’m enjoying it now with a cup of Trader Joe’s roasted red pepper tomato soup and a glass of that white wine I used in the recipe.

I am a young wife still discovering the art of cooking and this is the first (but not last) recipe I’ve tried from
    the noblepig. My husband and I are on a health kick so I used whole wheat penne pasta. I’m very happy with it!

64. myriah 64

I just made this and my only complaint is with the arugula. I really don’t think the flavor belongs in this dish. Maybe it’s just too raw. I might try mixing it in with the mushroom/onion/wine combo to cook for a couple minutes before adding to the pasta. But I think this may be better with spinach instead. The raw arugula really kills this dish. The brie is delicious though!