Why Don’t Cats Have Rules

I’ve lived (past and present) with a neighborhood cat who goes around doing its business and doesn’t cover it up.  Isn’t that what cats do…cover it up?

These particular cats, past and present, make their way around and have no discretion as to where they drop it.  Is this the behavior of a healthy cat?

Since we don’t have a dog or cat, I don’t worry about myself or better yet, the kids stepping in the muck left from a pet.  But alas, the cat with no shame makes us tread lightly around the yard.

Dog owners are required to leash and pick up after their pets.  They would be ticketed and fined if they didn’t.

Why isn’t it the same for the kitties?  I’m just sayin’.

One Year Ago: Paranoia

1. Well, I think your title says it all, there are no rules for cats that cats do not want to follow. After all, cats are entitled beings….and they don’t care if you or I have conniptions about this, because they are …cats, and…..entitled!

I did have a kitten once who would not cover her doo doo, and an older cat of mine actually watched with a horrified look ( for a cat ) as the kitten walked away and left her little indiscretion uncovered. Then the older cat went over and covered the yuck up herself!Maybe your neighbor cat needs a teacher..Cathy?????

2. Betty 2

How about a litter box & keep the cat inside? I don’t know about “Cat Lovers” but it would seem to me the humane thing to do to keep your cat safe would be to provide it a litter box in a discrete place in your home for the cat.

3. Harry 3

You forget that cats own the world and own us. If you are under the impression that people own cats, you have it the wrong way around.

Therefore, if a cat wants to dump on your doorstep, it will and there’s not a lot you can do about it.

4. Harry 4

….. what’s more is, I think you’re supposed to be thankful!

5. deeba 5

Naughty kitty! I had a kitten once who would always cover up. Sorry your kitty has no manners!

6. Let me say, I am absolutely in love with your blog. When I get the email to say you have a new post…I can’t wait to visit your site and leave a witty comment about your food and entertaining posts.

By the way, I do not have a cat or dog…but I had to call animal control this week. I had two pitbulls on my back porch where my 4 yr. old is usually outside playing…Needless to say, I was beyond upset.

7. That’s no fun. Cats and dogs will go anywhere I presume, but yeah, you’d think the cats would cover it up. And, wouldn’t it be great if dogs didn’t that somehow?

Shirley

Natural instinct is for the cat to cover it up…but there are cats out there who are as lazy as some people are I guess. I feel for ya!

9. Hmmm, I don’t know what that is, that dogs have to be on a leash and aren’t “supposed” to poop in other yards and there is no rule for cats. Stepping on poop is a big pet peeve of mine! (Well, whose isn’t it?!) If you know whose cat it is, let them know they need to clean up after it! You would if it was a dog, wouldn’t you?

10. barbie with a T 10

Cats are very strange creatures, and no two cats are alike. I feel sorry for you to have to put up with one who is making things difficult. I am afraid there is no solution for it, or at least I am unaware of it. Good luck with this one! And what if they multiply? YIKES!

11. I read the title first as “Those Without Cats Rule”. LOL! That would be me. We have a dog and if it is outside it has to be leashed and if it poops, it has to be picked up/discarded. Isn’t funny how cats don’t apply?

12. KJ 12

We had the opposite problem with a cat we had once. He was so fastidious he would dig himself half way to China in his efforts to cover up. We used to tell him, ‘Dude the job is done you’ve got half a ton of topsoil on there’. But he never listened.

13. melissa 13

I hear ya. We own two cats that go outside we keep a litterbox in the house. (It always seems to look like your litterbox cake but doesn’t smell as divine) Sometimes when our dog is outside pooping the cat will poop right beside him. At the same time. (I think he wants us to say good kitty like we do the dog)
    We also have stray cats that get into our barn and “pee” all over our garbage cans. Thats a fun trip to the dump. Once they even climbed on a shelf and peed on my only Halloween Decoration. (A whitch on a broom that you stand in the yard) The animal control officer told me it would be a felony if I killed them. At this point I wish we had no animals. Oh and yesterday my daughter said she would take the golden retriever out but didn’t and he pooped on the middle of our couch……

14. Marlene 14

Well…you know my kiity boo tried to kill me a few weeks agao, so I won’t go there…but sometimes I will catch him not trying to cover up in his litter box and I remind him…he just looks at me like, “Aw man…”, but then he covers it up and stomps off.

15. You know why cat owners aren’t held to the same standards as dog owners? Because cats are considered feral by the government. Yes, they are thought of as a wild animal that cannot be controlled by human.

I have a cat who stays indoors all the time. I won’t go into graphic detail, but when she buries her business, she goes to town. It was one of the selling points when we adopted her. Her litter box habits were excellent and when she goes she leaves no trace behind.

I would think a cat that doesn’t do that does have a problem. That doesn’t seem like normal cat behavior to me.

16. Big problem in my neighborhood too, but nobody has figured out a way to correct it. Cats roam where they want to. I’ve heard that spreading cracked hazelnut shells works to keep them out of specific garden beds. Guess that would only work here in hazelnut country.

17. I don’t know why cats get off scott-free! It’s not fair!

Crazier yet did you know horses are allowed to just drop it wherever?

Although I have owned all 3, I am primarily a dog owner and this irritates me too. I was esp ticked off a while back when a cat crept into my yard and tortured a rabbit to death (I had a very big yard at the time–successfully chasing away was not an option unless I wanted to sit there all day). Not only did I not enjoy seeing it, but I did not want my small kids to see it.

19. Trisha 19

Cats normally pick a nice place where they can cover. And – the only way to keep a cat from going wherever it wants is to keep it inside! That is where my kitties are for good – inside. The local bobcats won’t be having my kitties for a snack!

20. Jenny 20

It may have to do with noise/people distracting them from their routine. My indoor kitty covers her up 99% of the time….on occasion there have been some out in the open and I think it’s due to that I was banging around in the kitchen or the vacuum went on, the mailman dropped mail in the slot….and she went ‘rawrrrrr’ and ran off.
    But every so often you get these ‘alpha’ cats’ who want to leave a clear message as to who’s boss in the neighborhood! Sorry Cathy! LOL

21. Lisa A. 21

I feel your pain! You should not have to worry about where you’re stepping in your own yard if you don’t even have any animals. If you catch the cat doing it, try throwing some water on it. They hate that, but it obviously won’t hurt them.

My cat kept getting into my raised garden bed and crushing all of my plants until I started watering her with the watering can along with the plants. She got out of there really quick and has not been back that I know of.

22. It all depends on the cat itself. It isn’t necessarily a sign of sickness or bad behavior.

Cats that are brought up in a home where the litter placed in the litter box is not as deep as possible (it should never be any LESS than 3 inches deep!)often times won’t dig at all to cover up waste. Also, cats who often spend time outside in places where the soil isn’t as loose or where there is a heavy mixture of deeply planted grass and lots of concrete walkways won’t dig to bury waste at all, or if they do, it’s more an indentation in the soil than a hole.

Despite visions of cats tearing through the house at all hours of the night, or pouncing on prey, they really are very lazy creatures who want to make as little effort as possible.

Cathy, if this cat is eliminating in one particular place in your yard, you can get sprays that are designed for outdoor use, organic and non-toxic to deter the cat.

23. elra 23

I wonder about that myself. I also have visitor who like to drop anywhere it feels like it. I never had cat, so I am not sure. I have dogs and they know where they suppose to go.

24. Cassie 24

Three words for you: Kitty Relocation Program

25. June 25

I feel for you Cathy. We have a feral cat in our yard that has adopted us along with our mini schnauzer. She does laps on the roof at night, has made the yard into a killing field & entices our Maxer dawg by not covering her “doo” either…he loves the cat candy. I’ve looked for a rescue with no luck but don’t want to take her to the SPCA cause they’ll just murder her, so we found homes for her kittens, had her spayed & try and laugh at her antics.

26. Josie 26

Unmonitored cats make me bonkers! I especially hate when they sit at my bird feeder and stalk my song birds :(

27. Jena 27

Except get a big dog. That will do the trick.

28. LisaD 28

Maybe the cat is just stupid. My male cat (indoor only), often either poops right next to the box or tries to cover his mess by scraping the wall or other non-litter surfaces. He’s not particularly intelligent in other matters either.

I love cats, but I don’t think they deserve the reputation for intelligence that they get. As for leash laws, have you ever tried to get a cat on a leash? It’s funny (to people watching) but it’s not… practical.

That would make insane…seriously. Cats like that should be kept inside.

31. Lea Ann 31

That’s funny that you would post that, I think it was just yesterday that I was looking in your post archives and ran across that kitty litter cake.

32. gail 32

On the other hand, it may help keep other critters away such as bunnies, chipmunks, voles, etc.

33. imom 33

We used to have a cat that would do her business in the middle of the lawn without covering it, just like a dog… Strange business.

34. I’ve always had dogs. Next time I see a cat, I will ask.

35. Lauren 35

Where I live, outdoor cats aren’t allowed to become a nuisance. If you know who the cats belong to, you can call animal control and report the problem. The owners can be fined. If they’re stray cats, I don’t have any suggestions. Sorry you have to deal with this!

36. I had two cats. They loved the outdoors. It is true, cats really do as they please… they are not like dogs at all. My cats don’t really bother anyone, as they stay in my yard – but I am sure they have ventured out at some point. The only thing is that cats usually only use their litter boxes… it’s rare that I see cats letting their stuff go on grass and what not… maybe the cat isn’t well?

37. Traci 37

Cats who dont cover up are usually ones that are marking there territory. All others that do cover up are trying to hide. I read this somewhere. I live in an old house that has boxwood bushes next to the windows and the neighborhood cats like to use under the bushes at potty boxes. So during the summer when it heats up it smell of cat urine. We havent figured out how to stop them. And trust me, i’ve tried EVERYTHING.

38. KAYOLA 38

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo AGREE!!!!! They roam our neighborhood and leaves their trail and I HATE IT!!!! All along our dogs are on a leash…….hmmmmmm

39. I had a friend who had to TEACH her really dumb cat to use the litter box, then she had to teach him to bury it! He had the sweetest personality ever, but something was seriously wrong with his brain!

I don’t know what’s up with your fuzzy neighbor. There have to be deterrents out there that can keep him off your lawn. Heck, why not have your kids pee on the lawn so they can mark it as their territory and deter the cat. Don’t laugh. I read a really funny story about a guy who kept a porcupine from making a permanent residence under his porch by simply peeing around the porch after eating some strong-smelling food.

40. Goldie 40

It’s probably a territorial thing; when cats don’t cover their doo-doo, it’s a dominance demonstration.

Um, it’s true what Rachel (above) says about the pee. Gross, but twue!

(sorry. i watched blazing saddles the other night and can’t get madeline kahn out of my mind. is it twue what dey say about you people?)

I own two cats and they are constantly roaming in the neighbors HUGE yard. I certainly hope, if they go, they are burying it. I guess I better ask the neighbor if I have any messes to clean up. Darn roaming cats.

43. My neighbor’s dog uses our yard, too. Gah.

My cats cover it up. And the neighbors said that the moles that my cats have removed from their yard have more than made up for any kitty cat hassle.

45. Marcy 45

I’m soo with you on that Cathy! I’m not a cat person myself , but I’m all for picking up after your pet – no matter what type it is, and leashing said pet.

46. Melynda 46

It should be equal under the law, but it is too hard to enforce. I think the larger problem is the difference in fertility, between the two animal types. I believe that “cat” people take care of their animals including spaying/neutering etc, just like “dog” people do. And then there are the folks that have cats but are not really cat people. They also would most likely not be good dog people either, but that is a different topic. And lets be honest, unless a police officer notices a dog pooping and the owner NOT cleaning it up, (which would be about the only way to get a ticket) do you really think the law is that unfair? I do not intend to be disrespectful, but over all dogs are treated better than cats. Do you have an off-leash park in your town for cats? Silly question I know, but dogs are very loved, especially in this community. There are several dog daycare shops. Now add in the fertility issue, and cats will survive, even if they must become Feral to do so. And a Feral cat is still very fertile as any other cat, that has not been cared for properly.

Maybe the answer is that it is unlawful to offer “free” kittens. Where is the investment for taking responsibility, as you should,to be a pet owner?

Great topic for sure. Thanks for letting my have my 2+ cents worth.

47. Sarah 47

It is the natural instinct for a cat to cover up their business, but if the dirt/soil in your backyard isn’t what their used to (litter maybe?), they won’t see the connection and/or think to do it. I have two ancient cats who used to always cover up, but as time went on one got lazy and the other went blind! If this cat is someone else’s indoor cat that is used to a litter box they may not realize the same rules apply in a different situation, like outside. If this cat happens to make a mess on your porch or patio or something that isn’t just dirt, you can pick up the cat, place it in front of the stuff, kinda stare it down and clap your hands loudly. Cats HATE loud noises like clapping so it can be an effective disciplinary action and they will (hopefully) associate it with the situation. If this cat is old and losing his sight, there’s not too much to be done except find the owners and ask them to keep the cat away from your house!

Another reason why I only have pet peeves.

I don’t know that I’ve found cat leavings (our neighbor called them tootsie rolls) that weren’t at least partially covered. How bizarre. It’s their pee that really reeks.

50. Candice 50

This made me laugh :) As a huge cat lover and owner of 2 big fat ones, I know all about “covering it up” haha. My cats are indoor though and they use a litter box. When you have stray cats running around, or even just well loved outdoor cats there really is no rule for them to cover it up. It is so much different from a dog in that, the cat is free to roam as it pleases, and the dog needs to be on a leash and walked around and taken out with supervision. If you know what neighbor it is i’d kindly tell them that their cat is “messing” on your lawn.

51. I agree 100%. If I don’t pick up after my dog I would be fined. But it’s okay for my neighbor’s cat to leave their business in my son’s sandbox… Something’s just not right with this.

52. As a pet owner, of both a cat and a dog, I agree with you. My cat is indoors strictly, yet the neighbors cats insist that my garden is their litter box. It drives me insane! It’s bad enough that I have to clean my own litter box and pick up puppy poop, but I also have to clean up after the cats who has no respect. Wait, cats don’t have respect. What was I saying again? Argh!

LOL! if you can find me on facebook you will see a very funny cartoon I just posted this morning regarding cats and where they like to mark their territory shall we say.

Frankly I think the cat DOES cover up it’s, ahem, business…except around you. Cat probably knows you aren’t a fan and figures he’ll “get yah”. Cats. They do get revenge….

55. I thought all cats buried their “business” until we got our current one who leaves it on the lawn ready for it to be splattered all over the lawnmower, yuk!

56. sunrise 56

57. Ken Burton 57

I have such a big problem with neighbors’ cats defecating in my yard and killing the birds I feed that I am seriously considering catching them in a Have A Heart Trap and bringing them to the Humane Shelter. Perhaps the neighbors will then keep them in the house.

I have a dog which is walked on a leash,I “pick up” after him and he is not allowed to roam the neighborhood.

It’s beyond me why there are two standards.

Fed up with inconsiderate neighbors and cats’ “need to kill”.