Banana Snickerdoodles

As we push into the month of August, the Noble Pig household will be taking on a steady stream of visitors for the next few weeks.  I suppose this explains my recent absence, although I do truly enjoy my daily blogging.  It is so wonderful to have so many of our friends visit us in our new place of residence.

Last night we were fortunate to spend a wonderful evening with our very close friends…not to mention a whole gaggle of kids (theirs and mine) who were very excited to be reunited again.  Willie (our vineyard guy) was here too.  Willie has easily settled into our lives like a comfortable pair of worn jeans and we like it that way.

We grilled steaks, drank Oregon Pinot Noir, had Snickerdoodle Ice Cream for dessert, which I served with these Banana Snickerdoodles.

When I turned on my computer the other morning I had an email from one of my readers with this recipe.  I literally stood up and went straight to the kitchen and made them.  I liked the idea of using bananas because Snickerdoodles tend to go hard easily, but are much better as a softer cookie.

The dough for this is very wet but is easy to work with once dipped in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  The dough also spreads a great deal in the oven.  The trick is to make only eight to a pan for a thicker cookie.  If the cookies touch each other while baking they tend to spread more, resulting in a flatter presentation.

These also got a thumbs up from my Snickerdoodle bandit so we will keep them around. And a thank you to all my readers who continually send me all kinds of great things and ideas by email.  It’s always appreciated.

Funny story…as I was out on the golf course this morning taking these pictures, two gentlemen getting ready to tee off wandered over to ask what I was doing.  I told them I liked taking pictures of food.  They said they liked eating food.  I offered them a cookie…they ate every single one on this plate.  It cracked me up.

Enjoy the last weeks of summer, it’s going to go fast…

Banana Snickerdoodles
Adapted from
Going Berserk

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for dipping
2 eggs
1 ripe banana
Ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl, sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar; about 2 minutes.  Add eggs and banana, mix well.  Add flour mixture and mix until blended.

Once the dough is mixed it will be very wet.  Use a Tablespoon sized scoop to drop balls into cinnamon-sugar. (I used about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon).  The dough becomes very easy to work with once dipped in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Roll into balls and bake on parchment or a silicone baking sheet at 400 degrees for 9 minutes. (The recipe did not indicate whether or not to grease the baking sheet so I baked on silicone.  A greased sheet might be too much for these soft cookies but the silicone worked well.)  Cool cookies on a wire rack.  Store in an airtight container and they will stay soft for several days.

One Year Ago:  A Tiny Addiction

1. You love those snickerdoodles. And so do we!

2. Lisa Sipple 2

LOL about those golfers! Love these cookies.

3. Well the golfers certainly aren’t shy are they? *lol* And that was a definite thumbs up if they ate every one on the plate.

Crud, I ran out of really ripe bananas when I made the last recipe you posted, the cookies. I almost can’t stand waiting to make these as Snickerdoodles are hands down, one of my favs. And with bananas added? Oiy! Be still my heart!

Delicious looking cookies. Also a cute and funny story about the golfers. I also have been busy with house guests for the past few weeks. I suppose it is what it will be like every summer. You are right, summer is going fast. I will be happy when we make it through summer with no hurricanes!

5. Yes, I think I will make these TOMORROW.
    Enjoy your company.

6. Those are gorgeous. Can’t wait to convert the recipe to gluten free and try them, Cathy! I love using up baking bananas in general and bananas often add just the right amount of moisture to gluten-free baked goods. Now I have snickerdoodle ice cream AND banana snickerdoodles on my “to do” list. It’s suddenly looking to be a lot more fun! 😉

Shirley

7. deeba 7

Banana snickerdoodles seem to make this crazy life very worthwhile indeed! I live many such moments of walking to the kitchen when I see a recipe that hypnotizes me.And now you know what to take to the golf course!!

8. Donna 8

How bout you make a snickerdoodle scone next:)

Love the banana in these, love to bake with those bananas.

9. Lynda 9

Oh wow, this combines my favorite cookie and bananas.. sounds like a perfect match to me!

10. Marlene 10

I can just hear it now in the locker room…”That food lady makes awesome cookies!…let’s stop there again the next time we play a round!”

And…well, I just imagine what the conversation was like, if they told their wives!!!

You made banana snickerdoodles??!!! I have to make these!! I can only imagine how good they were!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

I just got a case of bananas, so these look great! I also tried your snickerdoodle ice cream, and really enjoyed it. Non cinnamon lovers didn’t like it as well, but no one griped!

13. I am never going to lose those last 8 pounds.

14. Katrina 14

Oh my goodness, Cathy! You did this just for me, didn’t you! 😉
    I CANNOT wait to try these. I LOVE bananas–no matter how you slice them. bwah. Or mash them.
    And my husband’s favorite cookie is snickerdoodles. You rock!
    Have fun with guests and the end of summer. (My boys just started school today! yay.) Thanks for posting.

15. Melynda 15

Great stories and a great summer always go hand in hand.

16. you have been on a cookie roll! it all looks good and the ice cream and the pork chops and all this rich wonderful stuff you have been feasting on!

Nice. Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies, I can only imagine the banana goes great with them too!

18. Jeanette 18

Try sticking the raw cookies in the refrigerator for 15 minutes prior to baking, already dropped on the baking sheet of course. They should not spread so much this way.

19. Every time I come over here, my must-try list of recipes grow. These look wayyyyy tooo delicious!!!

20. What lucky guests to be treated to such wonderful treats!

21. KathyB. 21

I will be making these, thanks! Also, Hubby and I went to see ‘Julie-Julia’ this weekend and we LOVED it! Everyone we talked to on the way out of the theater loved it! We then stopped in at Blockbuster to check out ‘Almost Martha’. My Hubby said it is a good movie, I will watch it tonight while I spin up some wool into yarn. Have you seen ‘Babette’s Feast’ ? One of our favorites.

Happy happy summer to you in Oregon!

22. Julie 22

Those look so yummy…I lol’d about the golf course guys :)

23. Your killing me with all of these yummy cookies! This one looks amazing with the banana added in!

I passed you an award! 😀

I am so excited to try these. I love bananas and snickerdoodles so I am sure I’ll love these.

25. Wow – these sound FANTASTIC!! I can’t think of a better combination. Will definitely have to give these a try. :)

26. I think my butt just got even bigger.

27. imom 27

I have a bunch of really ripe bananas I need to use up and a new convection oven! I think I’ll bake this weekend.

28. jeff 28

Ok I have to admit I did not really read anything because that flipping picture is amazing. What in the heck are you shooting with??????

29. elra 29

What a perfect background for a perfect cookies.

30. Lisa 30

My son really likes Snickerdoodles, especially the thick soft ones. I bet he’ll love these!

I am cracking up at the golfers….hilarious and nice picture too.

well, now, isn’t this clever! i’m a true blue snickerdoodle fan, obviously, but i love the moistness and little hint of flavor bananas give desserts. great recipe!

33. annbb 33

So nice of those men to help you with your cookies! 😉

You are definitely the snickerdoodle queen! These look awesome. My boss is a banana freak and I keep thinking I need to make him a bribe, er a treat so this sounds perfect.

35. Mary 35

These look terrific, Cathy. Enjoy your visitors.

36. Crazy busy here too. Often times I run by and peek in at your blog but fail to leave a comment (no time). I’m still reading along . . . just wanted you to know that. (Why? I dunno . . . just wanted to!) ; D

p.s.
    I don;t have a lot of banana fans in this household . . . and who knew snickerdoodles got hard? (They never last around here long enough to have found out that fascinating fact!)

*snickering-while-I-doodle* : D

37. I think this just became by new favorite cookie.. WOW what a great combination – I cannot wait to try this!!

Life is crazy everywhere so you are in good company!! Amazing that here we are already August!! OMG where has the year gone!

38. We try to cram everything into the last few weeks of summer that we didn’t get to earlier in the season. Hope I can whip up a batch of these cookies before we go camping next week.

39. Thanks for providing everyone with the recipe after all of that FB anticipation! They do look delicious.

Summer ending? Don’t say that! It’s barely started (weather-wise anyway).

40. Yum! Banana Snickerdoodles sound delish and your picture is just gorgeous!!!

41. Erika 41

I have a Snickerdoodle boy of my own and he would love these!

42. Wow do those sound good!

I know what you mean about being crazy busy!!

43. Amy 43

Wheee! I’m glad so many people like it! I’m sure my husbands Grandmother would be thrilled its being spread! Back in her day she never woulda thought a recipe could be shared across the country so quickly! She would have thought it was great to share it around her congregation!

Marilyn – I wanted to also tell you – I live across the street from the awesome blogger FatSassy & Mr WOnderful!

44. Lisa A. 44

I now dub thee Queen of Snickerdoodles. Bow down to Her Majesty, everyone! :)

So … have the golfers just “happened” to stop by your place again for some more samples? What they did is so typical for Oregonians. Everyone is just so friendly. That said, I wish my neighbors would come outside to photograph cookies and give me some! :-)

46. Snickerdoodles are all that! And you know I love the bananas!

So glad you had a great visit with your friends!

Too funny, I just saw another Snickerdoodle post plus I have one coming up on Saturday. Think it is in the water? Oh wait you’re a billion miles away from me…

These look terrific, wish I did not hate bananas….

48. That may be a completely perfect cookie. I love the addition of banana!

49. Donalyn 49

These look very interesting Cathy- I’m not crazy about just eating bananas, but I love in baked stuff – the next time the grandkids leave bananas at my house, I will give these a try!

50. Banana Snickerdoodles??!! My little monkey man will LOVE these!!

51. i also read this post, marched straight to the kitchen, and baked my own batch of goodies! these were a TOTAL hit. THANK YOU! i re-posted your recipe, and linked it back to you. Feel free to see the pictures of my version of these delicious cookies!

link to missamyscerra.blogspot.com

52. Darla 52

These turned out beautifully!! This is by far the best Snickerdoodle recipe I’ve made that stays nice and moist :) These are the ticket!

53. Dave 53

Have you ever subbed butter for shortening in the banana snickerdoodle recipe?

54. Noble Pig 54

I never have.

55. Hannah 55

I loved these cookies! They were like eating banana bread in a cookie form. I even subbed butter for shortening and they turned out great!

56. I made these today, only using half butter/half shortening, added vanilla and nutmeg to the cinnamon-sugar mixture. The dough was really loose, so I chilled it overnight. This made 34 cookies, all beautiful and very good. Thank you for sharing.

57. sunrise 57

58. Celeste 58

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these cookies. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

59. Good and delicious stuff….but as per beauty is concerned should takecare…..

60. I really thankful to you for this great read!! You did a very great job, keep it up.

61. mallory lighter 61

i’m using just a standard cookie/baking sheet. i really hope they turn out!

62. wow, these turned out delicious! thanks so much for sharing the recipe. i’ll definitely be making these in the future.

63. Kimber Langton 63

I was wondering about subbing for the shortening, also…can’t use trans fat in my baking. Any ideas? Thanks – love your recipes! :)