We Made It

After what seemed like a relentless amount of hard labor in 100 degree California temperatures, we finally left for a pleasant
65 degree McMinnville, Oregon, our new home.

We made the drive in two legs, one 300 mile journey and another 258 miles completed yesterday.  On Thursday we didn’t leave California until 9:30 PM so we arrived at a Medford, Oregon hotel at the lovely hour of 4:00 AM.  That was a fun drive.

We had two cars and the Wild Boar was pulling a trailer so it was 55-60 mph snail’s pace the whole way.  Between lots of chewing gum (lip-smacking sound effects included), loud music (Maroon 5, Lisa Lisa & the Cult Jam, Fergie, Carly Simon & Gwen Stefani) and freezing, cold air blowing at my face, I managed to stay awake.

We slipped into bed at 4:15 AM and slept until 11:30 AM.  Needless to say we were (still are) beat up from all the final touches of packing and cleaning up the old house.  Battening down the hatches can be quite involved unless you want to leave a disaster behind.

Anyway, it’s over.  We are now here.  We are home.  It has been a long journey, planned for so many year’s.  It’s hard to believe it finally happened.

The best part, we are all together as a family again.  Something I have never mentioned here; my husband has been living in Oregon for the past nine months by himself, managing the vineyard and land development.  I have been alone with the kids in California while they finished out the school year.

Needless to say it has been a tough year.  Traveling back and forth and seeing each other very infrequently.  The kids and I are ecstatic we no longer have to be apart, it was very hard on all of us.  Yes we survived but it’s so nice that part of our lives is over.

I learned a lot about myself living alone with the kids…

I am totally satisfied eating just watermelon for dinner.  It’s filling, refreshing and requires little clean-up.  I’m going to miss my very easy dinner.

After many, many years of yelling telling the Wild Boar to remember to squeeze the water out of the kitchen sponge, I learned it was me who didn’t squeeze out the water.  I couldn’t believe it.  I have now corrected my bad habit.  And apologized to the Wild Boar of course.

I despise taking care of a swimming pool.

Functioning as a single-parent is very difficult.  I’m not sure how people do it.  I’m glad it’s over.

I also learned I am a physically (and mentally) stronger than I ever thought I was.  There were a lot of things around the house I had to take care of because there was no one else around to do it.  It turns out I have some muscle.  Yeah for me.

Overall, even though it has been a trying year, lessons have been learned.  It reminds you just how precious your loved ones are.  It was a good test of our perseverance and dedication to each other as a family.  We passed with flying colors.

But it’s over.  We are home.

On to unpacking.  That should take awhile, however, I’m glad our stuff doesn’t arrive until next week.  I have no desire to unload PODS at the moment.

I need a break.

1. Amanda 1

Glad you made it there safe and sound. Hope you enjoy your new home!

2. Joni 2

I am so glad to hear you made it, safe and sound. So happy you’re all together again and that you’re savoring just that for now. All the rest is stuff…and it can wait! ENJOY!
    XOXO
    Joni

3. Jodie 3

I was just wondering how your big move was going. Glad to hear that you all made it to your new home safe and sound. I do not envy the task of unpacking, but I wish you luck!
    Good luck with the vineyard as well. Summer is such a busy time for vintners. I should know, my parents own and operate their own vineyard and winery as well.

Yeah. you did it! I had no idea you had been living alone, I can’t imagine how hard that was! Glad it’s over.

At least unpacking is the fun part. Well, I always enjoy it. That might be because it means I’m done packing though. Heh. Glad you’re all safe and sound, hope you get some relaxation in.

6. Congratulations and WELCOME HOME!!! Yes, being a single mother is so hard, but you did it and now it’s almost over.

7. COngrats and welcome to your new home. You are an incredible woman… with an incredible little family there. So happy for you. So much:)

Congratulations! Enjoy unpacking and finding a place for everything. We did the same sort of move when I was a teen and I know how hard it is to be separated, glad you are all back together, safe and sound. Can’t wait to hear all about and see your new home!

9. This post brought tears to me eyes. I’m so glad you are all together in your new home! Bravo to you all for surviving those tough nine months. I chuckled over the sponge. I wonder how many of us have our own “issues” like that. Anyway, congrats again … get some more sleep before you start unpacking. 😉

Hugs,
    Shirley

10. Glad to hear you made it okay, and that you’re family is finally back together. Now, the adventure really begins! I’ll be looking forward to hearing all about it.

11. Mary 11

Welcome home, Cathy. It’s so nice to see dreams come true. Hugs…Mary

12. KathyB. 12

Watermelon for dinner, sounds just perfect…but not as perfect as being with your family, home together, facing the world and continuing on with your dream! ( after a nap! )

13. Perfect timing. FATHER”S DAY! Happy you are all together.

14. Greg 14

Cathy,

I’m glad you made it safely and have a reunited family. I can imagine how nice and soothing it must be to have the family back together.

And the bit about the sponge is priceless.

Good luck with your new adventure – I look forward to wines from the Noble Pig.

g

15. Cheryl 15

You’re home! Sounds like you worked for it, but you’re there! Enjoy…can hardly wait to hear how you’re settling into your new digs!

16. I am glad you made it safely. Moving is difficult but at least you’re all together now. I cannot wait to see what the next stage of your journey brings – at least we know it will be full of yummy food:)

17. annbb 17

Welcome home, my friend!

Kudos to you for not whining & complaining about it like I would have. It takes a strong woman to do that.

I’m so glad for you that all went well during the moving process…

19. Wow… I wondered how y’all were managing the vineyard development and the move. Good for you for being stronger than you thought. And admitting the sponge detail to the wild boar!

20. Julie 20

So glad you all made it safe and sound!

21. Welcome Home!

22. Welcome Home! & Happy Father’s Day to Wild Boar.

A woman is like a bag of tea…you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.

23. Nellen 23

WELCOME TO OREGON!!!
    I live about 30 from McMinnville. Nice Town.
    HaHa I was just screaming about my sponges. Sometimes I think, am I the only one who gets mad at things like this? Well, my husband thinks I am. YAY now I know different, and I will keep screaming til they get it right!!! LOL
    Enjoy your new home and life in Oregon :)

24. Yay! You never know what you’re made of until it’s put to the test. I would never doubt you;) So happy you are all together now!

25. Glad you made it! It’s always nice to realize we’re stronger than we think and just how much we appreciate our loved ones – yay for that!

Have fun unpacking and making it yours!

26. Addie 26

I’m in the middle of moving too (10 more days until the actual move) and I completely understand what you went though! I’m so excited to get to the point of just being in the new place so I don’t have to be worrying about packing and deadlines anymore. Although we’re remodeling the new place so we’re going to be in a construction zone for who knows how long, so that’s going to be stressful. But it’s hard being in transition between two places. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to be doing it without your husband there.

27. Glad you survived your moving trip, and are all together again. I continue to patiently wait for that day when I can say the same thing. Enjoy your new home!

28. Jeff K. 28

It is quite true that in the dynamic phase where static patterns of life are shaken and you are experiencing a raw new reality is often the very place you will discover some new quality or sense of satisfaction about your life. Settling back into something static and familiar is important too, but enjoy the journey as well.

29. Diana 29

Kathy – Best of luck to you and your family. We just met a couple of times, and I enjoyed talking with you! I’ll look forward to reading your future posts. It’s exciting knowing someone who has made their dreams a reality. Have a wondeful summer settling into your new surroundings! ~Diana

30. Kaye 30

From your description, it has been a long road to your new home. Have fun setting up house! I laughed so hard regarding the sponge story :)

31. Welcome home Cathy:D

32. Welcome to Oregon!

What a horrid drive! UG! I hate night driving.. despise it… Blech…

Yippee for you! HOME!

33. deeba 33

Congratulations Cathy. That’s a huge achievement & a great relief! You’ve done really well holding fort for 9 months. Never easy to be a single parent! You need a well deserved break. ENJOY your new home. Much love…xoxoxo

34. jamie 34

cheers to new beginnings! looking forward to hearing all about the new family frontier. try and get some well deserved rest.

35. Tanya 35

Congrats on making the move! It must be a great feeling!

(On another note, the security code for comments never works the first time around! Argh. :))

36. Congratulations — you really did make it. It’s good to learn that you can survive on your own, and even better that you don’t have to. Looking forward to happy reports from Oregon.

37. Melynda 37

Welcome home! We are always stronger than we realize. It is not that we think we are weak or cannot do something, it is that until we do what we must do, we did not know we could. Rest awhile, the PODS are coming!

38. Lynn 38

May you be blessed many years of happiness in this new resting place. Watermelon for dinner! That’s great stuff…

My best, Lynn
    *this trip would make a great MasterCard commercial. 600 highway miles, 5 packed PODS, one vineyard, 8 bathroom breaks, one burnt-out mp3 player: $200.00 dollars. Coming home and getting to stay indefinitely? Priceless.

39. elra 39

I had no idea that Wild Boar is actually in Oregon all this time. I admire you Cathy, you are very strong woman indeed, and full of life. Glad that you are all together again. J and I wish you a good luck with everything as always.
    Elra

40. Congratulations! How wonderful that your move went successfully!

41. Kayla was missing you, she noticed your absence. I told her you have been working hard and moving.

Here all this time you have led us to believe that you spent your life lounging by the pool sippin fabulous fancy drinks and eating enough desert to look like Sister Myotis.

Nawh, you never fooled me. I knew you were made of the good stuff. Bravo Cathy. You rock. Congratulations.

42. I’m so glad you’re there safe and sound and that you’re together agin! What a relief!

Welcome to your new home and good luck w/ all that unpacking!

43. Bless your exhausted heart!

Sit back and enjoy just being enveloped in the wonderful coziness of being a family…together again under ONE roof.

44. Lisa 44

Glad to hear you made it. Best wishes for a smooth transition and welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

45. melly~ 45

welcome home, cathy.
    can’t wait to hear about all the new adventures in oregon. you’ll love the pacific northwest. it has a way of embracing you like a well worn quilt. enjoy.

46. Kim 46

Glad you and your family are safe and sound! Love your list of what you learned about yourself, sort of a moving the family “outward bound” trip. When we are out of our “comfort zone” we experience the most growth. Blessings to you and your family on your new home and adventure.

I go crazy when my husand is out of town for a week, and all I’m left with to take care of now are the cats. So, good for you.

Now, you are ready to start this wonderful phase together all in one place!

48. Julia 48

welcome home!

49. Debbie 49

Hooray for you!! You did it! And congratulations on finally being in your new home. Hope you have much happiness there!!!!!

50. Yay! I’m so happy for you and your family.
    And yes, rest, relax and enjoy eachother, if only for a few days.

51. Cesar 51

Welcome to Oregon!

52. Yay! I admire you so much for making such a big move. We moved 30 miles from an apartment to our home last year and I hated every moment of it. I’m glad all is well and can’t wait for more pictures of the hooligans & vineyard as they grow.

53. June 53

Congratulations to all of you for surviving the past nine months & for the successful birth of your new life in Oregon. How fantastic that you’re finally all together again. The drive can certainly be a challenge – we do it every year from Tucson, but somehow it’s prettier going north on I5 than it is coming back. Guess it shows where our hearts are. Enjoy your new adventure & especially, each other!

54. Welcome to Oregon, neighbor. i know your family will love it here.

55. Biz 55

Loved reading this post! And I agree about being able to take care of things when you have to. During my husband’s hospital stays, I learned how to replace a sump pump!

Glad you are all back together as a family!!!

Can’t wait to read about your new adventures too! 😀

56. Congratulations on becoming an Oregonian! You’re gonna love the Beaver State. I’m hoping to be up there myself within the next year, so will be checking out Pods. Will visit your winery when it’s ready. Good luck to everyone!

57. Congratulations on your move!

YAY!

Wow, I can’t handle a week or 2 alone when John has a conference. I am seriously impressed. And yes I agree–hats off to the single parents.

59. I’m so proud of you!! BIG HUG!!! <3 Take it easy for a few days, I love reading your blog but you deserve a break. Just a little post every few days will do for me for a while. Get to know your hubby again! Enjoy your new life!! Yay for you!!

you’ve EARNED a break–good gracious! i’m glad you all got there in one piece (or four, as the case may be) and that you’re sensible enough to take advantage of this chance to learn things about yourself!

61. Welcome to Oregon. You’re going to love it here.

62. imom 62

I’m glad you’ve arrived safely and you can all be together again!

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I actually prefer to drive at night, because there are fewer wahoos on the road. My secret? Eat apples. You have to think to eat an apple, and they’re not too fattening for you to eat a whole bag of them. Screaming and squabbling kids help a lot, too. The fact that I’m a night person helps a lot, too.

Congratulations and welcome to Oregon. I love living here – it’s a beautiful state. Hope you have a nice and relaxing week until the PODS come.

65. So glad you made it Oregon safe and sound and you’re all back together again. :)

66. Kathy from NJ 66

Did the Wild Boar give up doctoring?? I am really looking forward to watching your vineyard grow.

67. For a day or so just walk around, peek in closets, open drawers, find yourself home. Relax.

And then unpack.

68. Harry 68

Well done! It’s the best move you could ever have made. We left England to grow wine in France and have never regretted it for an instant.

Good luck and Bon Voyage because you have set out on a fascinating journey.

69. Welcome to Pacific Northwest! As a kid who moved 18 times before settling into four years of college, I feel your pain (and joy). Here’s to your new life in Oregon and the tales we look forward to hearing. Oh, and don’t forge to let us know with the wine tasting room opens. 😉

70. Stacy 70

Your post also made me tear up a bit! I know EXACTLY what you are going through, as we just packed up and moved for the same reasons from PA to California! It’s hard, but oh so worth every exhausting moment to be with the one you love. Congrats on a job well done and welcome home!!!

Congratulations, Cathy. :)

72. Cath,
    Hang in there, you are almost “home free”, now the unpacking………you are tougher than you think!
    Lots of luck and love in your new home!
    Stacey

73. Ramona 73

Glad you arrived safe and sound. I can fully relate to 100 degree temps. That’s what we are having here in MS right now.

Ramona

74. Brian 74

Welcome to Oregon. I’m glad your family is back together again.

75. erin 75

Congratulations on the big move! How exciting, and can’t wait to stop by the tasting room someday!

76. Good to see you are up and running! Glad you made it safely to Oregon, that must be very different from Cali. I’ve never been there before, hope you enjoy it!

77. Katrina 77

Yay for successful, FINISHED moves! Glad you made it and you’re back together as a family. I totally know what you mean, when my husband has travelled, I often wonder how on earth single moms do it and I have a lot of respect for them!
    Enjoy being together and your new home. Take your time unpacking!
    And yes, chiggers, if you didn’t know, are worse than mosquito bites, they are microscopic, but in summertime, they show up in your grass. If you’ve been in the grass, they then jump on your legs and make their way to your “warmest, darkest areas”, if you know what I mean. They bite my boys on their butts and worse! And then it itchs worse than a mosquito bite ever did! Then the boys scratch the crud out of them and make them worse. (Take a hot shower before bed to kill them off–that’s difficult to make a baby do!) Sigh. Ah, summertime! 😉 Today is so hot and humid there is a heat advisory out. Entertaining indoors, oh so fun!
    Glad to hear from you!

78. Kayola 78

OH MY STARS!!!! You are my hero! My question is who has been eating all those delicious meals you have been making? You seriously blow me away! I am glad you are all back together…that had to have been crazy!!! It is hard to realize we are the ones who are doing the screwing up isn’t it? I thought one time about a question I had heard…WOULD YOU WANT TO BE MARRIED TO YOU? I know I wouldn’t want me for a spouse at all….Congratulations on being HOME together….Enjoy your new adventure!

79. I need a break just reading about all this!

80. Welcome home! I’m glad you’re all together and happy again.

That was some music selection. I haven’t heard a Lisa Lisa song since I was in college.

You know you are really obsessed with the blogsphere when someone in the real world makes some completely unrelated statement about moving or vineyards and you think to yourself, “I wonder how Cathy is managing with the move…”

81. Yay! Congrats! I can’t believe you lived by yourself for all that time – good for you! I’m sure it feels wonderful to finally be home.

So nice to hear that you made it safe and sound. We used to do the drive from Grants Pass to Davis when the road was 2 lanes. It. Took. Forever. We’ll be making that trip again this summer but glad we’ll have the major freeway, air conditioning and not me driving!

Dang, I just checked where you are and it looks like we’ll be passing by you on our way from Portland out to the coast for our trip back from Seattle. I’ll wave!

84. So awesome that you guys are where you belong 😀 I’m so happy for you.

85. lo 85

So glad to hear that you made it home! That’s great news.

I know what you mean on the “learning lessons” front. Whenever Peef is away on business I develop a new appreciation for his role in my life. SO nice not to be alone with all of life’s little responsibilities!

Bet it feels good to be together again.

86. Unpacking is always easier than packing, and it’s kind of fun to decide where everything goes. Have fun!

87. I love watermelon for dinner.

Welcome home.

88. I was looking at all the pictures of the cleared land and was wondering who was in charge – well now I know! Your hubby has being doing all of that but I think you had the harder job with taking care of the house and children- Good Job Girl! Great to hear you are home now and together as a family again. Many fun times ahead for sure!

89. Congratulations!
    I loved this post- could totally relate to many of the ‘living alone’ issues.
    Will have to look you up the next time I am up that way-
    The Mustang Winemaker, Penny

Welcome to Oregon! I’ve been out of town, and am getting caught up. Of course, I had to check in to see if you are here yet. Yippee! Gosh, how tough it must have been during those nine months apart. Glad that’s behind you now, and that you can be in Oregon as a family together! Yeah!

91. Kharissa 91

Glad to hear that your family is safe, sound, and together in Oregon! Much blessings from back here in good ol’ Cali!

92. Love your life style ,.Even i like your post very much.We are currently doing samet on this particluar style.I think we will get good marks because of your article thank you very much, 徵信社之徵信社 , 女å­￾å￾µæŽ¢ä¹‹å¥³å­￾å￾µæŽ¢ , å©šå‰￾徵信之婚å‰￾徵信 , 婚外情之婚外情 , 抓姦之抓姦 , 徵信之徵信 , 外é￾‡ä¹‹å¤–é￾‡